• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 174: Disaster Day of Crisis

History in Games:
    2008 - Disaster: Day of Crisis

Overview:
    A rare action based title from Monolith Soft, Disaster: Day of Crisis was one of the small group of Nintendo titles released for the Wii that found itself only enjoying a very low key and limited release in selected territories. The move to skip the US market also meant that the game never saw a chance to be marketed to arguably its best suited market due to Nintendo and Reggie disliking the game, the game never therefore gaining much recognition despite being a very different kind of game for Nintendo to be putting out in general. Playing as Raymond Bryce, part of a Rescue Team, you race against time and the elements using a range of motion controls to survive a range of disasters caused by terrorists with the ability to trigger earthquakes, tsumani's etc.

Did you enjoy the game back in the Day? Or was it a total Disaster?

Played through this last year and was blown away by how well made it was. Loads of set pieces, loads of unique scripted levels and a big gameplay variety. I really miss Japanese made linear 3rd person action games. Everything is now an RPG or open world so I've been enjoying going back and picking through some games like this. Very recommended if you have a Wii/WiiU set up.

Comment

I had my eye on this one as soon as it was announced. With the Wii being so heavily drowned in shovelware and family game titles anything that spoke to the more traditional gamer element was an eye catcher even if Disaster itself is still largely modelled on that mini-game style gameplay design. The idea of the concept is so ludicrous but allowed for big set pieces and I remember the game being a decent length too. It was honestly clunky but much more fun that it gets credit for and one day I'm definitely going to revisit it.

Comment

Working...
      X