Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

This landed on Switch yesterday and it's really rather good.

At the start you're presented with two different paths, one closer in style to the original GnG and the other with more of a Ghouls 'n Ghosts vibe.

I haven't tried the easiest difficulty, but this is hard on pretty much all the other difficulty settings, just like it should be. The game is a little more forgiving than the original games, though, as you're not kicked back to the start of the level every time you die and respawn points are more generously spaced and persist even after you quit.

The controls are responsive and feel just like you'd expect from a GnG game and there's an interesting magic system, which I've only just scraped the surface of.

Presentation is great, the graphics are lovely and the soundtrack is vintage GnG. All in all, this seems to be a great entry in the series so far and I look forward to delving into it further.

Love the game and currently on the third world boss. Graphics are colourful and the remixed soundtrack is brill. Good use of check points and magic upgrade tree.

Comment

This is a game/series I've always been entranced by, right back to the arcade days. The cheesy spooky vibe and music is just my thing. If they've conceded to ease the brutal difficulty even a smidge this is something I'll definitely pick up at some point.

Comment

It's certainly still hard, but a few concessions are made to make the game a bit more doable, though nothing that ruins the challenge.

Comment

Someone on rllmuk described this as mischievous, that's the best description I've ever heard regarding the GnG series.

Really liking this so far, dropped down to Knight and will see how that goes

Comment

Tempted to purchase this, but as ever put off by Capcom's ongoing stubborn refusal to make a physical version.

Comment

Been playing this most of the afternoon, the videos online did a poor job of showing how it really looked, there's way more detail in the textures than i was expecting. So far done the first 4 levels on knight difficulty, i miss the double jump but he controls pretty accurately. People online been saying he fires slow but his lance travels at the same speed as it did in previous games if you want fast then the daggers are the best choice although the spiked throwing disk is my fave weapon. The chests seem a lot easier to find this time around if you shoot everywhere they give themselves away pretty well.

Also like just how pissed off looking Arthur is at all times lol

Comment

Level 5 Caverns of the occult is a twat of a level. I think they spelled occult wrong

Comment

Oh man revive saved my ass, was at the dragon boss i was on the final phase and i died just as the dragonhead went bullet crazy thankfully it randomly decided to bring me back. Just managed to kick it's ass before it stripped me down to my sexy boxers

Comment

I've seen so many people on Twitch play this on the hardest difficulty and not even get past stage 1, after hours of trying. It's hiliarious that this somehow makes it a bad game. Looks great to me!

Comment

Made it to citadel approach but i'm giving it a break now before i go crazy, doppleganger plus crossbow is invaluable for making quick work of everything but those damn bees appearing just as your furthest away from them. The amount of times i have gone on a suicide mission to fling myself towards one just so i can get it as if you die and continue you'll keep that one you got despite getting creamed by the undead. Need to get that tree maxed out, it's a fun modifier having abilities it gives each level a bit of strategy on what you are going to equip when tackling it.

Comment

Picked this up yesterday, just completed the second stage on Knight difficulty (choosing the Ghouls n Ghosts inspired route) and really enjoying it!

It's certainly not an easy game, but once you figure out the best strategies it isn't crazy difficult either. Like the originals, sometimes you just need a little patience!

I re-played the first stage a few times and after an embarrassingly high double-figure death toll on my first run, I got it down to just 3 by my fourth go.

My only one criticism is that it seems a bit bare bones. I'd like an arcade mode with an online high score table where you can ultimately go for one credit runs, like the originals. Or at the very least some kind of in-game incentive to go back and get good at the stages, some reward for no death runs etc.

Comment

Been putting more time into this one this evening, decided to start a new save file & see if i could actually do legend difficulty, i have discovered that there seems to be a trick to getting through although i only have seen it on the first graveyard stage and i haven't cleared that yet on legend, the trick it's knowing when to stay put and chop down the waves and when to move on. It seems chaotic at first but the more i fail the more i'm actually starting to see there's actually a pattern. In stage one of the graveyard for example when you get the purple flash ambush screen with the first wave of zombies rise up together & all attack you at once if you always take out the ones to the right first it gives you enough time to then turn around and get the ones coming on the left each time you get to that part they always appear in that order. It's stuff like that, the game tries to trick you many times by making you think you have to rush where if you take your time at certain spots you can see what to hit first. Always keeping an eye on all the enemies on the order they appear is also vital as those are the ones that will usually attack first like the crows but also for the zombies especially ones that try to appear underneath you to catch you out, they move so fast that you can get hit easy but by making space you can manouver away from them as they surface.

So far in the handful of times since i started doing it this way i'm already about halfway through the first stage up to the point where you jump on the floating piece of wood to get across the pond just after the red arremer makes his starring debut. Curious to see if this strategy will work through the other stages, the game is brutal though but totally fair too. While the style put me off at the beginning i finally get what capcom was going for as it's supposed to be like a storybook come to life telling the tale of Arthur hence the paper cutout style animation and hand drawn look, it's actually grown on me a lot.

Been quite a while since i have had such a tough platforming challenge. Makes the snes one feel pretty easy in comparison managed to complete that one fully quite a few times over the years.

Comment

Watched the DF video on this a few days ago, finding myself increasingly wanting a copy of this and also finding myself increasingly p1ssed that Capcom didn't give this the physical treatment like they did with Mega Man 11.

Oh well. Looks like I'll have to wait for a discount sale.
                            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 03-03-2021, 19:58.

Comment

Finally kicked lucifers ass now onto the 2nd loop and the evil surprise it unleashes, need to start going back and getting more of those damn umbral bees i missed as i want that resurrection II as one saved my ass more times than i can count. in the meantime doppleganger II is very handy especially on bosses and combined with the one that lets you carry 2 weapons it's becoming a lot more manageable. Discovered some glitch that if you time switching the weapon just as you activate doppleganger you can have your clone use the other weapon so you can be firing 2 different weapons at once instead of both using the same. Still can't replicate it all the time but it's definitely down to releasing the spell and switching within in a certain timeframe.

Comment

Working...
                              X