Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all Panasonic Q owners.

Hello everyone,

For some time now I’ve been researching the Panasonic Q DVD/Game player.
    It is what I would call one of the most beautiful consoles ever produced.

But like most obscure and niche products it was only ever released in Japan.
    This brought with it that the DVD region was locked to NTSC-J only (Game mode as well).

Now I know there was a mod kit produced back in the day that would allow the Panasonic Q to play all region DVDÂ’s and would allow you to switch between NTSC-U and -J.

These kits used an extra RAM module and some 100nf - 180nf capacitors to allow PAL playback together with a PIC (12c508a) that would interpret the DVD remote commands to disable Macrovision, enable MP3 playback, ...
    And a second PIC (12c508a) to switch the console region by holding down the powerbutton for x amount of time.

Unfortunately these mod kits have been lost to time and any info relating to them either refers to the Panasonic Service Disk 2 (which in itself is an almost impossible something to acquire) and no longer available websites that offered the upgrade service (Steve Hoyle mostly: who I believe, after some research and cross-referencing is imprisoned on rape charges!).

Luck has it I own a modded Panasonic Q that I bought some time ago.
    It has the DVD region mod allowing PAL playback but it lacks the Game region mod PIC.

I’ve reached out to some people that might be able to extract the code for the DVD mod and someone that can provide the Service Disk for a reasonable price.
    But this leaves the Region PIC code still unknown.

My question to anybody with a Modded Panasonic Q is:
    Is anybody willing to help me in my quest to preserve these mods by donating me their components used to help me move forward with this preservation project.

Why:

Apart from me wanting to fully mod my own Q, it will help to eventually reproduce the Mod for anybody willing to mod their own Panasonic Q.

It would seem like a shame for this be lost forever especially now that these type of mods can be more easily reproduced.

So please PM me or leave a comment.

Thanks!

Below are pictures of the Components installed to achieve PAL playback.

Top side of the PCB:

Bottom side of the PCB:

Area’s circled in RED are the added components (RAM and Caps)

All pictures are from the PCB's that rest on/under the DVD drive.
    From what I could tell opening the unit untill just the Gamecube PCB is that the mods happen on those boards that are on the DVD drive assembly.
    Region modding the Gamecube Part of the Panasonic Q requires different mods on the Gamecube PCB and has no connection for enabling PAL DVD playback.
    Last edited by Bakuku; 05-03-2021, 17:55. Reason: Spelling

I have a Q (and the GBA player to go with) but to the best of my knowledge it's never been modded. I think trying to maintain these machines is enough of a challenge, let alone the mods - good luck!

Comment

I also have a Panasonic Q + GBA Player combo.

I purchased mine from Lik-Sang (RIP!) back in 2002 or 2003. My machine is definitely modded to play all-region DVDs and US/JPN GC games (Lik-Sang sold pre-modded units as an optional extra IIRC) with the GC region-switching done by holding the power button on the unit.

As far as my knowledge of Panasonic Q modding goes, the modding was done via software programming as opposed to hardware modding but I don't claim to be an expert on the subject and decades have passed so I may well be wrong.

I do agree with [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION] - maintaining the working order of a Panasonic Q is pretty much the majority of the battle, never mind the modding. I haven't used mine in quite a while and I'm sure it still works but I'm pretty sure that it was sounding like a jet engine taking off the last time I used it so god knows what it would sound like now!
      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 05-03-2021, 19:39.

Comment

The mod is both software (Service Disk 2) and Hardware (extra RAM for PAL playback, supposedly needed for the larger image info on PAL dvd’s).

There’ve been some decent repair mods for Q for some time now.
        A full drive assembly (plastic parts) that can be printed (for free if you own a 3D printer yourself).

Oddly enough, I’ve never had an issue with my Q. I’ve owned it now for well over 6 years and I’m the 3rd or 4th owner!
        Last edited by Bakuku; 05-03-2021, 23:22. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I owned a modded Q back in the day, absolutely regret selling it, was the gem in my collection at the time, hated the fingerprints it used to easily collect but what an iconic console.. hope you work it out..

Comment

There's a dude on a Facebook group I'm on who has one that is selling that was modded by lik Sang ....I can pm you his name if you like , it also has an sd reader modded onto it to.

image upload

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumLeap View Post
              There's a dude on a Facebook group I'm on who has one that is selling that was modded by lik Sang ....I can pm you his name if you like , it also has an sd reader modded onto it to.

image upload

Dare I ask how much he is asking

Comment

£600 smackers !

Comment

I'd sell you my unmodded one for 400quid (shipping included, no markdowns to dodge customs!). It's been sat in the cupboard for the last 11 years.

Comment

Wish I had kept mine - it was boxed, mint and modded

Comment

Any luck with this? I have a non model q. Was thinking of doing the jumper wire to switch the region would really like the power button mod

Comment

I’m getting somewhere.

So apparently there were 2 variations on this mod.

1) Lik-Sang model, done by a UK guy named Steven Hoyle.
                        Was able to track him down but he is imprisoned currently.

&

2) A more sophisticated mod that actually allowed the region to be switched with a button combo on the remote!
                        This one is more obscure and apparently was only done in limited quantities.
                        Was able to track down the partner of the developer, but has been a slow proces of communication.

Right now I’m looking in to dumping my 12c508a (Lik-Sang model) through means of decapping.
                        Waiting for my microscope and acid to proceed further.
                        Also been able to find a person willing to help with the region mod IC.

But it will still take a while for me to have something to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakuku View Post
                          I’m getting somewhere.

So apparently there were 2 variations on this mod.

1) Lik-Sang model, done by a UK guy named Steven Hoyle.
                          Was able to track him down but he is imprisoned currently.
                          Kinell!
                          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 06-12-2021, 11:53. Reason: For the best.

Comment

I googled it the other day out of curiosity when I saw this, and think I found some news stories about it. Just sounds grim to be honest.

Comment

Yeah, having just done the same I'm happy to leave that avenue further unexplored. Content warning for anyone curious: sexual violence / rape.

Comment

Working...
                              X