No announcement yet.

VR options 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been playing The Climb 2 and I love it. It's a game that would probably be hideously dull in anything but VR but the immersion is pretty incredible. There is a city level where you scale buildings and my legs were wobbling. I really felt the height. Very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      I've been playing The Climb 2 and I love it. It's a game that would probably be hideously dull in anything but VR but the immersion is pretty incredible. There is a city level where you scale buildings and my legs were wobbling. I really felt the height. Very cool.
      The least talked about yet arguably very striking aspect of VR is that it's in stereoscopic 3D with no crosstalk. It makes a huge difference to stuff like that.

Comment

Found this thread while looking to post about Alyx; [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION], now that it's been around a year since you got your headset, how do you feel about it? Do you still use it? What are your high points?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Found this thread while looking to post about Alyx; [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION], now that it's been around a year since you got your headset, how do you feel about it? Do you still use it? What are your high points?
          I love it! I am absolutely 100% sold on it. Maybe more than most! For me, the difference in immersion is so vast that it elevates every game experience and, often, I just want to be in it. Like I would be happy with VR games that were just walking around places that you just couldn't get to in everyday life. I reckon I play it around twice a week on average, although if I'm actively playing through a game that will shift to every day. Now that I think about it, I play it more regularly than any other system... but that probably says more about how few games I'm playing these days.

In terms of highlights, I think the big one is still The Climb 2. It is an incredible experience. It's absolutely beautiful so the graphics and immersion really make that experience, I think. That game takes me to places I can't go to and it allows me to be reckless and daring. And largely, I buy it - I feel like I'm there. I'm not lying when I say I have been thinking that there will be a business in creating special fan units that plug into VR games so it can lower or raise the temp around you for games or blow wind and so on for that full immersion. Maybe I'll make my fortune.

The other big highlight isn't just one game but is instead what I'm doing with them. I bought myself some wrist weights and, for exercise, I put them on and jump into the rhythm games. Beat Saber, Synth Riders and Audio Trip. It's really easy at first but give it time and you start to feel that workout. I have no idea if it's genuinely good exercise but it feels like it is and it's really enjoyable. I am way more likely to do that than just do exercises without that. So I've been doing that on a very regular basis. It's great!

The Room VR is definitely worth a mention. It's a short experience with small contained locations but it's so atmospheric and it really works. It's another one where I can get sucked in completely. No enemies or anything like that so it's a low stress experience but it transports you somewhere else. Easy enough to get through without any frustration and yet giving enough that you feel like you're doing stuff along the way. I have played through that one a few times now.

I also quite enjoy Carve, a snowboarding game. The graphics aren't anywhere near the standard of The Climb so it feels much more game-like inside and even the controls don't feel all that polished. And yet again that VR immersion is what makes the difference. It's one I just like to put on and do a few slopes without really worrying about the scoring. I just like being there.

And the other interesting thing is playing games that I have seen or played in other forms. I hadn't played RE4 so the Oculus version was my first experience of it. It had a few oddities due to not originally being made for VR (the cut scenes played on screens) but the experience was great. Myst was incredible. I am so familiar with that game and you either like it or you don't but, for me, the difference of actually standing in it was immense. The sense of scale really changes the experience for me. And Superhot VR is fantastic, albeit quite a different game from the PC version.

I have had a few disappointments. I played through that Vader Immortal Star Wars game and it was very thin and not all that interesting. The fun of being in Star Wars wasn't enough to carry it. A couple of others I didn't play very much.

But overall, I love it. I adore VR and I would take more and more VR experiences. I could see how so many games would just be even better when you're there. Like Firewatch or Gone Home and so on. I would take all those games in VR if I could.

Comment

You've made me want to check out The Climb 2; I haven't really looked at it.

And The Room, too - will have to check out that. I know the phone version gets a lot of praise.

Like Firewatch or Gone Home and so on. I would take all those games in VR if I could.
            Yeah, certainly, all those games (that are sometimes disparagingly called "walking simulators") are kinda tailor-made for VR. That sort of visual storytelling works fantastically.

There are scenes in Alyx where you have to rifle through places looking for stuff; people's homes, offices - and they do a great job of giving you a sense of the person who lived/worked there before things kicked off. I get why some people don't get much out of this; if you near-speedrun through those games then it'd be easy to think of it as quite a basic FPS game (albeit with polished mechanics), and I've never really gotten along with Half-Life outside of VR, but it really does transform those experiences - at least for me.

Comment

Yeah, I haven't played Alyx but I can imagine. At the risk of getting kicked off Bordersdown, I enjoyed HL2 but didn't seem to get it in the way most did and found it fairly pedestrian. But the difference in VR would be huge.

Comment

Yeah, I haven't played Alyx but I can imagine. At the risk of getting kicked off Bordersdown, I enjoyed HL2 but didn't seem to get it in the way most did and found it fairly pedestrian. But the difference in VR would be huge.
                I'd be getting kicked off right beside you. I never got along with HL2; I particularly hated how Valve titled its making-of book "Raising the Bar" (euurgghhh).

Didn't think it was bad. Just generally I prefer my FPS games to be more dynamic in the combat, like Halo. But Alyx is fine because the combat isn't really the focus of the game; it's comparatively a much smaller part of it than HL2.

Comment

A cult is forming

Half Life 2 was decent but... it was worse than HL1

Comment

Yeah, also thought HL2 was overrated. Typical post apocalyptic FPS. It was fine, I never got the hype.

I remember the first time I played HL1, at a friend's house. At the time I was only really familiar with console games. HL1 felt like a proper step change. I remember expecting the type of flashy FMV intro typical of PS1 games, and instead we were on this train thing, and it was actually playable.

From there, the rest of the introduction to the game felt much more involving and much more real than the vast majority of what I'd played before.

With HL2? Eh, there wasn't really any of that.
                    Last edited by wakka; 07-03-2022, 10:42.

Comment

I agree that HL1 is better than HL2.

Comment

Working...
                      X