PS3 & PSVita digital stores closing altogether

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    Can’t you just replace the cmos battery?

Apparently. If true it would render some stuff non operable in like 20 years or whatever, I guess. And yeah replacing the battery seems like a real pita. It definitely isn't going to drain as fast as the useless Saturn battery though.

Comment

Thinking even further ahead, anyone know whether there's a similar situation re: CMOS in the PS5? Given it can play PS4 discs that puts the physical PS4 game time bomb off for at least another generation, right?

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
        Thinking even further ahead, anyone know whether there's a similar situation re: CMOS in the PS5?
        I've read that's a thing.

Comment

Being perfectly honest, I don’t really care about psOne games anymore, there done and dusted for me. In 20 years im not going to care about playing ps4 games or even ps5 games.

I get that there will be people that do however.

Sony seems to have dug themselves a hole here for there past generations and their legacy. Im guessing that the ps2 & 3 chips are largely to blame for the fracturing.
          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 23-03-2021, 15:16.

Comment

I guess this is why Sony "believe in generations".

It's an utter shambles! I'm a fully signed up member of the SDF but, jeez, they can't seem to catch a break at the moment.

PS5 fan issues
            Cross-gen save shenanigans (Avengers, Yakuza Like A Dragon etc.)
            PS Store being utterly useless / wishlist is beyond awful
            UI half-baked
            Stick drift

And now this.

Have I missed anything?

If it wasn't for the promise of stellar Naughty Dog / Insomniac / Guerilla titles I would probably sell up and go all Xbox! It seems strange to me that the company who seemingly "care" about past generations are the one who'd usually want you to upgrade to the newest software.

Comment

You ok hun?

In all seriousness this isn’t that big a deal. How many of us are even going to remember half the ps3 games we played in 20 years? Let alone want to drag that specific console out to play those games, same with ps4 in 20 years & ps5 will be long gone by then as well.

I would expect this is an issue with ps3’s notorious architecture causing most these issues and Sony just wanting to leave the hardware behind and start again with that catalog via emu in the future, just my guess anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                You ok hun?

In all seriousness this isn’t that big a deal. How many of us are even going to remember half the ps3 games we played in 20 years? Let alone want to drag that specific console out to play those games, same with ps4 in 20 years & ps5 will be long gone by then as well.

I would expect this is an issue with ps3’s notorious architecture causing most these issues and Sony just wanting to leave the hardware behind and start again with that catalog via emu in the future, just my guess anyway.
                It's a weird one, because I still use my PS3 quite a lot. Then again I never really upgraded to PS4; I have a Pro but only because I got it very cheap after the PS5 launch.

Thinking I might track down a PS2 copy of Nights Into Dreams, as that's one of the PS3 games I still play regularly.

Comment

I think my PS3 is beginning to croak. It's started running games fine unless they rely on data installed into the hard drive, then it hangs. Going to test it out some more.

Comment

Are PS1 games on PS Now? I've never looked. Sony is pushing us to subscribe to another service.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      Thinking I might track down a PS2 copy of Nights Into Dreams, as that's one of the PS3 games I still play regularly.
                      Might not be ideal but it is on Steam. Probably want that over the PS2 ver if you don't own a CRT.

Comment

Why are we not recommending great games to each other? If it shuts we need to be out there filling our boots.

I started this thread on RLLMUK, so I'm just going to repost my rec thread here:
                        This is it, boys and girls. Sony is SHUTTING the PlayStation Network. From July you cannot buy games any more.*

In this thread we will give names and brief descriptions of the best stuff to harvest, so we can waste vast sums of currency so that our wives and husbands have an apoplectic fit when they discover we've spent the kids University funds on games we don't need.

This is: THE LAST CHOPPER OUT OF SAIGON.

So grab your gear before you can't grab it no more.

Please prioritise system exclusives, or stuff you can get nowhere else, but feel free to recommend janky or strange or merely average games if they are at least interesting.

We will also be wrecking:

DLC
                        You want those extra missions or the Cerberus pack for Mass Effect 2? Get it now before those commies take the city. What other DLC is good? Fallout games? Asura's Wrath's ending was DLC only I recall. What else do I need? I don't know - YOU TELL ME!

PATCHES
                        Want your disc based games to work correctly, better get them patched before PSN is shut down. So basically everything by Bethesda, because those donkeys couldn't program their way out of a wet paper bag. Also grand theft Auto V had a massive download patch to add bug fixes.

* only applies to PS3, PSP, and PS Vita.

My recs on the deck:

A Boy and his Blob - cute update, but also on Wii.

Alice: Madness Returns - this is the PC original, available as a free download when you have the disc based sequel. Get the sequel, then download the prequel for free, as DLC.

Attack on Titan: WoF - download exclusive on PS3, available as hard copy on later systems. But remember, your PS4 is a literal ticking time bomb.

Battle of Tiles EX - weird, awful, overpriced nonsense from Japan. Strangely compelling.

Beyond Good and Evil HD - available elsewhere, classic game though.

Blade Kitten - available on X360, trashy platformer. I love it.

Braid - available on X360 and Steam.

Dark Mist - Japan and PAL exclusive, i recall American mags lamenting they never got it. Alright? I never liked it.

Eat Them! - cheesy send up of monster films. Customise your own monster!

echchrome - Escher style puzzler

Flower - control a flower using the breeze

From Dust - be god, kill people

Hard Corps: Uprising - run and gun in HD

Hotline Miami & 2 - top-down fever dream shooter knifer

I am Alive - trashed by critics, but I loved it so much I platinumed it. Survive the wastes with a few bullets and human flesh to eat

Jet Set Radio - you know this one

Joe Danger - Excitebike with a fat guy

LocoRoco Cocoreccho! - a weird semi-sequel thing based on the PSP classic

Max and the Magic Marker - draw your way out of trouble

MGS3 HD - I got this solely so I could play 35 year old MSX2 games on my HDTV

Mini: Hysteria Project + 2 - FMV trash for the PSP never tasted so good

Mini: Karoshi - be a dude who must kill himself (compelling single screen puzzler like else I know! Amazing!)

Noby Noby Boy - Nob must stretch himself so that girl can eat his love. A really stupid tech demo.

Okami HD - Zelda Twilight Princess set in Japan

OutRun Online Arcade - oh, I'm sorry. Did you not download this when it was available? My bad. Maybe I'm just listing it here to brag. :bye:

Papo & Yo - an alcoholic violent father causes his son to disassociate from reality

PixelJunk Shooter - very cool twin stick shooter adventure, part of the fantastic PIXEL JUNK series. My favourite in the series.

rain - I bought this but then never played it. Any good?

Retro City Rampage - available elsewhere. Hide from reality by pretending your a kid playing Nintendo again.

Riff: Everyday Shooter - Remember how cool geometry Wars was? This is like it's acoustic guitar playing hippie cousin.

Rock of Ages - roll a rock destroying stuff in a Monty Python landscape

Scott Pilgrim VS The World - I hated this game

Siren Blood Curse - scariest horror game I have ever played. The entire series is available as a single Blu-Ray, but it's getting pricey, so grab the episodes while you can!

Space Channel 5 Part 2 - available elsewhere

Stacking - a delightfully depraved adventure where women and men and women slip in and out of each other with gay abandon!

Super Rub'a'Dub - motion controlled rubber ducky game

The Last Guy - imagine Flicky crossed with google maps. New, inventive, ****ing fantastic! Also an exclusive!

The Unfinished Swan - beautiful, artistic, so relaxing. Sometimes I like to ignore the objectives and play with the physics. So much love for this.

Tokyo Jungle - ever wanted to be a chihuahua that ****s up a lion? This is that game.

Trash Box - Tetris but using trash in a dustbin. AKA: hobo simulator

Yakuza 5 - download exclusive, not released on disc!

QUESTION:
                        Should I get Shovelknight? I've been eyeing it, but it's usually quite expensive, and now I'm thinking if I don't buy it now I will never, ever be able to buy it.

BRING OUT YOUR PSN RECS!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                          One that's really blowing my mind is House of the Dead 4 - only ever ported to the PS3, digital only in all territories, and from what I've heard, even the original (Lindbergh) arcade hardware is prone to having graphics card errors over time.
                          Was not aware of this fact - thank you! That's a must buy.

Comment

MGS4 - It's amazing a major release like this is increasingly being lost to gaming past

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              MGS4 - It's amazing a major release like this is increasingly being lost to gaming past
                              Cell processor strikes again.

Comment

If we're looking for deep cuts, how about DARK AWAKE: THE KING HAS NO NAME. Capitals were my addition, for (further) impact.

Taito Type X arcade vs fighter, only ported to PS3, and only released digitally in Japan. From a quick search, this blog post is a good little summary of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X