No announcement yet.

PS3 & PSVita digital stores closing altogether

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the ones really of interest are the digital-only, PS3-only drops. I'm considering whether I should pick up HOTD4, although it's unlikely I'll pick up Moves again in the future...

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      Probably have to fall back on shady means to keep your console usable. Bit crap.
      Yeah, I think this now looks inevitable (though probably always has been).

There will be ways around all these problems and now there's more to it than pirating games that can be picked up dirt cheap, or being able to play FBA on yet another platform, it may get more people with the knowledge interested.

I presume Sony will also stop releasing firmware updates which means one version will probably become the firmware for the future.

Comment

Glad I re-downloaded Persona 3 and 4 on my Vita!

Comment

Actually Persona 3 Portable is a really good shout. It costs a fortune on UMD.

Comment

HotD4 is fun with Move. I tossed out the gun when I moved sadly.
            SRW: Dark Prison is DL only for PS3. I'm sure someone has the ROM...
            Garden designing game Shikitei was only on the j-store.
            Last edited by kryss; 25-03-2021, 23:34.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
              HotD4 is fun with Move. I tossed out the gun when I moved sadly.
              I think I preferred them without the gun attachment anyway. The Move was very hard to calibrate accurately which was really noticeable pointing gun at the screen, but not so much when just moving the controller around in your hand relative to the cursor.

I suddenly really want to play these again now!

Comment

I've just had the email from Playstation, confirming it all.

We are closing PlayStation™Store on PlayStation®3 on 2 July 2021 and on PlayStation®Vita devices on 27 August 2021. Additionally, the remaining purchase functionality for PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) will also retire on 2 July 2021. After thoughtful consideration, we decided to make these changes in an effort to focus our resources for PlayStation Store on PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5, which will enable us to enhance the customer experience even further. We thank you for your support on these platforms throughout the years.
                What I didn't realise is that you will still be able to download purchased content. Situation's still ****ty, but at least it's not a case of having to rely on the hardware not crapping out on you, on top of things.

Comment

LAAAAAAAAAAAAME

Given me the push to finally buy some of the Vita games I want though. Nightcry, the EDFs and Ridge Racer.

Comment

Had the official e-mail earlier too, at least downloads will continue for the foreseeable future as has been mentioned above. Will have to browse the store at some point in the future, although when I've tried in the past a lot of stuff doesn't appear anywhere unless you search for it manually by name (PS1 titles in particular).

Daytona USA I'll probably get, plus might get the Motorstorm: Pacific Rift DLC as I still play that from time to time. Suppose this thread could be useful for people to leave any recommendations before it closes!

Comment

Sad times suppose not as bad as what Nintendo with the Wii. Thought this was coming luckily i panic bought some stuff earlier in the year, when Sony were announcing you could only buy stuff from individual PS store from that specific device. Bit annoying they have to close them down but a see why. I hope some stuff gets Remasters in the future or Sony release it again like Game pass style. Still not sure why Sony has not done this yet all the PSOne, Vita, PS2 and PS3 O still think PSNow of overpriced and should be £5 and not £8 or merge PS+ and PSNow.
                      Last edited by JU!; 29-03-2021, 21:06.

Comment

What's hilarious about Sony's approach to backwards compatibility is that you can play PS1, PS2 and PSP games on Microsoft's new console, but not Sony's new console. There are even rumours that rpcs3 will be up and running on the new Microsoft consoles soon too, which means you'll be able to play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games on the Series X/S. Given how you get an experience superior to original hardware on PC these days for most of Sony's older consoles, I don't see these latest developments as being particularly major. Nothing is being lost.The only thing I find interesting is that Sony don't realise how important good-will is, and although backwards compatibility is never going to bring in a lot of money, it creates a significant amount of good-will for your platform.

Comment

At least we'll still be able to use PKGj!

Comment

Originally posted by bcass View Post
                            What's hilarious about Sony's approach to backwards compatibility is that you can play PS1, PS2 and PSP games on Microsoft's new console, but not Sony's new console. There are even rumours that rpcs3 will be up and running on the new Microsoft consoles soon too, which means you'll be able to play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games on the Series X/S. Given how you get an experience superior to original hardware on PC these days for most of Sony's older consoles, I don't see these latest developments as being particularly major. Nothing is being lost.The only thing I find interesting is that Sony don't realise how important good-will is, and although backwards compatibility is never going to bring in a lot of money, it creates a significant amount of good-will for your platform.
                            To be fair, Sony would only officially endorse it if the emulation is to a high level of quality.

People consider PS1 emulation a "solved problem", but it's still trash by retail product standards; the PSP and PS3 are an exception because Sony or the publishers had to customise their PS1 emulator for every game by hand, and it didn't always work, while PS2 bc worked because there was actual PS2 hardware inside the earliest fat PS3s.

It's a world apart from, for example, Megadrive or NeoGeo emulation, which is very much a totally solved problem.

If someone can kick out a PS2 emulator that runs on PS5 hardware that promises 99.9% compatibility (and by that, I mean it's flawless on 99.9% of games and slightly askew on others - not "every game is kinda sorta 90% there if you don't mind that the enemies flicker and the fonts look terrible in battles") I think Sony would be more receptive, but I've yet to see anything like that.

Comment

Can you download Vita/PSP games to a PS3 or am I mistaken? I think I remember my PS3 having a Vita/PSP section on the XMB.

I don't have the handhelds anymore but I have a lovely load of digital games for them. Personas etc.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                                Can you download Vita/PSP games to a PS3 or am I mistaken? I think I remember my PS3 having a Vita/PSP section on the XMB.

I don't have the handhelds anymore but I have a lovely load of digital games for them. Personas etc.
                                You can download them to the PS3, I'm pretty sure, but you can't play them on PS3. It's just used to transfer them to the console or back them up. Might need to double-check for Vita but you definitely can with PSP.

Comment

Working...
                                X