Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monster Hunter Rise+Sunbreak [NS/PC]

Last time zone, first to post.

In short, it is built on ideas from World but takes them further from the traditional MH model.
    We're back to offline village quests and online Gathering Hub quests.
    There is an additional piece of equipment called the Petalace, which gives you buffs based on Spiritbirds you meet in the field. Different Petalace buff you differently apparently. I only have the one so hell if I know.

I feel like the organisation of gathered/carved materials has taken a step back, but I'll need to play with it a little more to be sure. It looked like we were back to the small inventories of old. Maybe that's just a lack of progress thing right now.

Weapon forging and upgrading has been streamlined, doing away with the need to find the weapon in your equipment box. Instead, there is a flow chart of forging/upgrades, and you just pick whichever one you want to do. Shockingly straightforward.

So far, I've only been to two locations - Shrine Ruins and Frozen Islands. Both are fairly standard MH. The music has taken a slightly different direction in the village and field, but the traditional themes are there. Something that the movie lacked.

Hopefully we can get some online going over the weekend to see how that holds up.

It's a thumbs up from me so far. (Unlocked 2* village quests; forged 3 new weapons and 3 pieces of Izuchi armour)
    Last edited by kryss; 26-07-2022, 16:59.

I'm indifferent so far, coming from a Ps5 with 60fps, to this... really jarring and it really craps the bed in online co-op with 4 players, 4 dogs, and monster (let alone 3 fighting a turf war or in the last fight had all 3 wired ridden at the same time).

I would say it's world but not, like they started again like the sort of stuff the multiple teams working on Call of Duty and you end up with similar games but key features are either worse or better.

So far cooking seems gone? in it place is collecting temporary powerups out in the field, which sucks. Just get in the way.

The vertical maps so far are absolutely useless when it coming to hunting, seem to me to only function short adventure to find bone piles and the like and collect the annoying buffs or wirebug upgrades

I really don't like hub music, i would go as far as to say it's terrible and the opening hour of clicking B to exit a million tutorial pops goes really slow.

I'm real tempted to sell it on and wait on the confirmed PC version, Monster Hunter should no longer be sub 30FPS.

(edit)

there are pros, the smaller hub, the wirebugs in general being a neat gimmick, a streamlined and faster online, much quicker loads times(till about 10-20secs, but much better than a Ps4). Not seen if it suffers from the story co-op mission problems World had, i'm hoping that is fixed.
    Last edited by Tobal; 27-03-2021, 12:56.

Comment

Yomogi who puts together the Bunny Dangos for you is in place of the cooking, she's between the Guild and the Village Elder.

I have to correct myself, it's Frost Islands, not Frozen Islands.

Comment

Played a few hours today and love love love it.

Yeah there’s a tech downgrade from World, but the art, music, environments and cut scenes have got buckets more character IMO. Traversal is tonnes of fun with wirebugs, mounts, wall running and the like, and it feels very fresh to play after so much World.

My biggest MH gripe in general is that the series is now overdue a new weapon or two being thrown into the mix, but I will live. Excited to have a week off work with this now having arrived!

Comment

I think this feels more of a follow up to Portable 3rd HD than World, with the endemic life playing a much bigger part after testing the waters in World. The scenery and old world Japan feel was the setting in P3rdHD (which you kind of get from Kokumo Village in Generations/DoubleX).

Climbing to the top of the big pyramid in the Flooded Forest was equal parts frustration and excitement, mainly due to not having any food to recoup lost stamina!

A lot more practice scaling with the wirebug has helped. Be careful using ZL+X to climb, as you fire it the direction your avatar is looking rather than the direction the camera is facing. Better to use ZL+ZR I find.
          Last edited by kryss; 27-03-2021, 21:37.

Comment

Yeah there's a few sequences of moves and reactions that I'm trying to commit to muscle memory, and wirebug navigation is definitely a big one. Another is running while riding a palamute, making him jump, then jumping off myself into an attack. Also remembering to wirebug out of knockback animations. It doesn't help matters that my brain's not quick-wired to turn ZL and ZR into actual button presses, but hopefully it'll be second nature soon enough.

Played some more this afternoon, still liking it a lot. One thing that I'm not quite sold on yet are Rampage quests. MH has always had quests in arenas with elaborate traps, mounted weapons and the like, and while this feels like an attempt to elevate these, the first one's worried me that it's going in the direction of tower defence. I don't think that's what anyone was asking for. We'll see, though.

Comment

Quick tip with weapon Forging/Upgrading, you'll see the materials required to forge a weapon rather than upgrade, if that is an option. Be sure to select upgrade to use fewer resources.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                One thing that I'm not quite sold on yet are Rampage quests. MH has always had quests in arenas with elaborate traps, mounted weapons and the like, and while this feels like an attempt to elevate these, the first one's worried me that it's going in the direction of tower defence. I don't think that's what anyone was asking for. We'll see, though.
                Are there nice monster resources to be had after finishing Rampages?

I should be getting this delivered today. Looking forward to it.

Comment

The resources you get are used in "Ramp-Up" modifications to your weapons, kind of like the mods on World, but you don't need to max out the weapon upgrades first.

Comment

I've still only done the one rampage, as I've not been tempted to go in for another yet. But as mentioned, the 'ramp up' mods allow you to modify weapons long before end game, which is nice. Still only just scraping into rarity 3 gear, but did also get the credit roll for village quests last night.

In terms of other significant changes from World, I do miss sliding and jumping, but at the same time, between palamutes and wirebugs there's still plenty of arial attack opportunities. These attacks don't feel quite as important now though, given mounting monsters doesn't seem to rely on that as a set up. Currently I'm finding the only way I ever get the opportunity to wyvern ride is on the back of a turf war, but I think I remember reading that use of your ZL + A/X wirebug attacks also pushes the likelihood of that?

Comment

One of the Switch Attacks for the long sword is like a silk web, which then lets you ride the monster if it runs into the web. There is also a Hunter Helper that looks like a peacock spider that does the same, but I've not tried that out yet.

Yes, all my riding comes from turf wars too. I wonder if the staff is more geared towards riding like it was mounting previously.

Definitely noticing how much easier village quests are compared to hub ones, the Azuros/Tetradon arena quest took me less than 9mins to cap them both. Granted, I was making use of elemental weaknesses and spamming the hell out of wirebug attacks - there's one for the switch axe (the default ZL+X one) that gives you immunity while wiredashing in to get 3 hits in.

Comment

Getting into it more and enjoying fighting the new monsters having learn where to hit them rather than clutch claw softening. Only change to the main gameplay i don't like is the max stamina dropping way to fast, just really annoying to be forced to hunt for meat and cook it

Another question, has the fishing and bug net been done away with?

Comment

You can fish at the main camp for each area, but otherwise yes it seems.

Comment

Have been playing quite a bit of this and am really enjoying it. You should have seen my face light up when first trying out the new 'Axe Hopper' skill with charge blade; launching myself up into the air with a wirebug and coming back down with an aerial SAED. OOOMPH!

I've not tried playing with anyone I know just yet, and while I have no idea how 'Hunter Connect' works, or whether there's some deeper meaning to the 'like' system (I'm routinely getting and returning one from each hunter I play with), I'll spend some time looking into that side of things soon. I have high hopes though - I had been particularly concerned about the online aspect for this after World, but in terms of just getting on and finding randoms to hunt with, I'm finding that it's much quicker and easier than before - I've managed to skirt around lobbies almost entirely, instead just using the quest board from the d-pad menu, opting to join a specific quest, and being thrown straight in with no troubles whatsoever. Lovely.

Between 4 players and 4 palamutes I am finding that things can get a little crazy (in a good way) visually, but the usual complaint of certain weapon types regularly tripping others is somewhat heightened given how snug everything gets around a downed monster. Bring on the flinch free.

One really, really big point: on top of a big thumbs up for the visuals coming out of this engine, I'm really impressed with how well it handles loading. Travel between locations in the village is near-instant, and loading into quests is super fast too. Between this and general improvements to movement, I find that when I'm playing, I spend far more time actually hunting rather than running staring at loading screens or running to different locations.

Comment

I've only done a few LV** quests, but I'm loving the environments. The main hub area is beautifully colourful. The music too. I wasn't sold on the music at first, but I am loving it now. The game throws quite a few systems at you which may be a bit overwhelming for new comers, but I think this game does a good job of pacing it out with out too much waffle.

I'm enjoying the vertical traversal during gathering quests.

As always, to me, picking a weapon can be a little overwhelming. I usually go with Great Sword, but the Wirebug special attack it has confused me (or I didn't bothered trying to understand it). So I've opted for the hammer, which isn't too bad. A bit straight forward, but I'm hoping that the upgrades you can get will give it a bit more va va voom.

Yeah, really enjoying it so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X