Thundercats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thundercats

“Godzilla vs. Kong,” “You’re Next” and “The Guest” director Adam Wingard has been set to direct a big-budget “ThunderCats” movie for Warner Bros. Pictures. The original late 1980s Rankin Bass animated series revolves around a group of humanoid cats who must flee their planet of Thundera after it’s destroyed. Crash-landing on another planet, Third Earth, […]

Adam Wingard, director of Godzilla vs Kong and You're Next, has just been hired by Warners to helm a big screen incarnation of the thrice attempted on kids TV Thundercats.

The film is expected to be hybrid live action and CG

Real talk; does Thundercats have much value in the 2020s?

It strikes me as one of those brands that Hollywood is desperate to bring back because of the success of Transformers, and because a load of people hurtling towards 40 now have hoodies with the logo on the chest...

But the 80s revival is kinda over now.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      But the 80s revival is kinda over now.
      Not for those of us hurtling towards our 50s...

Comment

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post
        Not for those of us hurtling towards our 50s...
        I mean in a pop culture sense.

I'm sure you've seen all the indie games using the PS1's 3D polygon "jitter", or games like Racing Apex that have a visual style strongly influenced by Model-1 games like Virtua Racing. There are new series of Saved by the Bell and The Mighty Ducks doing the rounds, and memes are starting to take on the appearance of 90s hip-hop covers, while 2D indie games are looking less like Shovel Knight and more like Rocket Knight Adventures.

We're very much in the throes of the 90s throwback now. I can't help but feel that Thundercats has missed its window.

Comment

I don't think there's enough to it which is why it's failed each time but on the flip side done properly a massive budget version of the intro would be epic, one of the best opening sequences ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            I don't think there's enough to it which is why it's failed each time but on the flip side done properly a massive budget version of the intro would be epic, one of the best opening sequences ever.
            It definitely is.

I'm also part of the group of people who used to remember this show as objectively better than it was, because I've watched the intro many times as an adult but hadn't watched the show since I was a kid. It was very much about putting a very flashy label on a middling product.

Not that I'm singling it out. All 80s and 90s cartoons did this. I had the same experiences with Transformers because I'd watched the movie as an adult (which is surprisingly well-animated) and forgot that isn't really a true representation of the show.

Comment

Real talk; does Thundercats have much value in the 2020s?
              No. Did it ever? Yes, people get all nostalgic about it and remember how epic it was but 9 times out of 10 all people are actually remembering is the opening sequence. It's like they have projected so much more onto that opening.

I mean, the furry crowd might go crazy for it but I'm imagining all the ways this could look and none of them are good.

Comment

Thundercats is one of those series that if you have fond memories of it, you definitely shouldn't go and watch it again now.

Comment

I don't like the animation style but having seen several episodes of the most recent version of the show that one was quite good fun with a nice sense of humour. Same thing though, it gets very samey very quickly so I could possibly see a film being the right length for the concept but again, not for sequel after sequel. It has to err darker like the second show incarnation too.

Comment

, while 2D indie games are looking less like Shovel Knight and more like Rocket Knight Adventures..
                    That's a good thing. I hated all of those so called 8bit pixel art games. Games never looked like that, even on the NES and Mater System.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      That's a good thing. I hated all of those so called 8bit pixel art games. Games never looked like that, even on the NES and Mater System.
                      Pretty much spot on felt a lot of these games looked really bad and would have looked bad in the Nes and Master System era, I would forgive the style if the animation was at least fluid but often would be very few frames to

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        No. Did it ever? Yes, people get all nostalgic about it and remember how epic it was but 9 times out of 10 all people are actually remembering is the opening sequence. It's like they have projected so much more onto that opening.

I mean, the furry crowd might go crazy for it but I'm imagining all the ways this could look and none of them are good.
                        Pretty much. The intro was the best thing about it and tbf, its still really awesome. The actual show was a complete bore. I purchased the DVDs when they came out and very quickly regretted doing so.

That remake/reboot/whatever that came out was supposed to be pretty good though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                          Pretty much. The intro was the best thing about it and tbf, its still really awesome. The actual show was a complete bore. I purchased the DVDs when they came out and very quickly regretted doing so.

That remake/reboot/whatever that came out was supposed to be pretty good though.
                          That's the thing I was never a huge TCats fan...my brother was much more into them but the cartoon was never great even back then, the Intro as you say was phenomenal though

The 2000's reboot with Will Freedle as Lion-O was bloody fantastic though & updated the show so well

In fact a ton of the 2000 Reboots really made the show's better...He-Man & Turtles were both head & shoulders better than the originals as well
                          Shame both Thundercats & He-man died on the toy sales...which were really weak & the studios pulled the plugs

The GI Joe reboots were also good but I have a thing for the original so while updating they in my eye's were equally as good as the original

All that said though if you go back & revisit the majority of the 80's shows they don't hold up well
                          Hell I'm pretty sure most of you know about my obsession with the past & the 80's in general but even to me rewatching the cartoons is nothing like you remember & very few aren't cringe inducing
                          Even recent re-watches of Transformers G1 aren't as easy & aside from a handful of episodes the rest are just painful

There are a few shows that stand up to repeated viewings (Jayce, Mysterious Cities, Galaxy Rangers, Ulysses, Silverhawks) but the 90's had a much better showing for cartoons that are easy to keep watching over & over

A new Thundercats movie could work but I won't hold out hope & the less we say about the ROAR reboot on Cartoon Network the better...that's just horrific

Neil

Comment

Most of those properties were just there to market the toys, ie the animated series and comics, everything else.

I think He-Man was one of the first with weak American laws for promoting to a younger market, back then.

Often it seems as the shows tried to increase output they lowered animation and writing quality and kept cutting corners.

Some of them stand up, usually the pilot episodes.

Comment

Wingard Still Working On "ThunderCats" - Dark Horizons
                              Still a ways off though

Comment

Working...
                              X