No announcement yet.

BPX057: A Godless State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's like having an open discussion on shoes and realising that everybody else involved is rabidly into brogues.

Comment

He's come in with a view and people are just discussing it. No one's piling on anyone. It's all good mate.

Comment

^well you make sure you look after him, buddy. I'm off for a Thomas the Tank.

Comment

Classic Jazz.

Comment

Grumpy Jazz. Apols.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
              I'm off for a Thomas the Tank.
              I think you misheard when someone says the thread needs a master debater...

I agree with some of what you say, Jazz.

There doesn't seem to be any elbow room for religion here.

When my mom died and my local church brought me some meals, as it's a practical thing to show compassion, you'll all be surprised to know I didn't throw it back in their face, yelling "That's for destroying the medical progress of the ancient Greeks!"

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                ^well you make sure you look after him, buddy. I'm off for a Thomas the Tank.
                Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                Classic Jazz.
                Will it be a classic jizz though?

(Please don't tell us.)

Gets. Me. Coat.

Comment

^Awesome, you just made my afty!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    When my mom died and my local church brought me some meals, as it's a practical thing to show compassion, you'll all be surprised to know I didn't throw it back in their face, yelling "That's for destroying the medical progress of the ancient Greeks!"
                    You probably should have done, as they absolutionly hide penance in the mashed potatoes

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                      Will you abandon all laws too? They too are fluid, manmade constructs after all. Paedophilia, slavery, anti semitism, homophobia and numerous other acts of hatred were all legal at one time or another. The ancient Greeks loved bumming children. Curse the rules that stopped all that!
                      Religion gave us that - bringing order to a chaotic time. That was then, this is now. (catholic priests aside)
                      School was originally started by the church, but that has evolved too.

Religion needs to evolve with the times if people wish others share their beliefs. However, the Pope refuses to bless gay marriage, refuses to bless contraception (how else can you breed more catholics??)

Sometimes people just need something to believe in.

Comment

I class myself as spiritual but not religious.
                        I meditate daily and follow the philosophy of Taoism. But I don't treat the tao as a deity.
                        Ive always said, of anything in life not just religion, that I don't care what anyone does as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Unfortunately organised religions tend to fall short of that rule quite often.

Comment

Will you abandon all laws too? They too are fluid, manmade constructs after all. Paedophilia, slavery, anti semitism, homophobia and numerous other acts of hatred were all legal at one time or another. The ancient Greeks loved bumming children. Curse the rules that stopped all that!

To be fair, in the opening of the thread I tried to make it clear that this discussion wasn't aimed at discussing our personal beliefs but instead at how religions can weather developing societies and their accepted norms.

That oppression of women, outward cruelty of other faith believers, arranged marriage, genital mutilation etc are accepted norms within some faiths has to make people coming from those backgrounds who then live in societies that don't follow the same set of beliefs in either their religion, morals or laws hard to sustain over time.

Comment

It's not an idea. That's what you don't understand. People are burned alive because of ideas. What we're discussing is beyond thought (and so by definition beyond words because words are merely thoughts made manifest) therefore it is a difficult subject to talk about without confusion.
                            Yeah, I'm not gonna start discussing something that is beyond thought. You're trying to be Deepak Chopra with your mystical Wu Wu.

Comment

Working...
                            X