No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Vaccine Passports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vaccination rollout won't be widespread enough until later this year largely ruling out the season most care about, plus they haven't finished researching the variants and there's no real consensus of international rules on the passports either, let alone assuring that people don't travel to easy access countries to back door entry blacklisted ones. It's just a battery of issues to solve one first world problem.

It's as simple as all UK adults are aimed to have had their first dose by 31 July. That means second dose by the end of October. Till then it's a case of risking lives for no worthwhile reason at all.

Comment

I was responding to the idea of banning travel for 3 years - but as you point out, we will be done here by October if it goes to plan. That’s this year. There are lots of reasons people travel internationally beyond summer holidays.

Comment

A lot of international travel is still happening. Not sure it ever stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          How are vacations going to be wide spread if you’re banning travel?!

Even excusing the typo, and being the most COVID-conscious person you could meet, this is a bafflingly short-sighted point of view. I can list plenty of things you’d all miss that I could easily go three years without, how about we ban these too?
          Are people going abroad to get vaccinated?

Short sighted? Ummmm ok. So I’m proposing to keep international travel locked down until most the population is vaccinated, you know to protect the most people possible, and thats short sighted?

You’ve lost me.

Edit. Sorry miss read your first bit as vaccinations.
          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 06-04-2021, 08:01.

Comment

Seems likely the passports idea is getting shelved, such is the Tories and their 24hr turnaround on ideas. Bad reactions are pushing them to 2x Weekly LFT tests instead. That being an impossible system to use with travelling so things are back where they started

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
              Won't happen for many reasons such as people saying they can't be vaccinated due to health reasons (I've seen people enter supermarkets with no mask muttering this rubbish), the clot rubbish that was front and centre on the BBC homepage earlier. I also don't trust them to get the administration of these passports right, whatever form they may take.
              Many have legitimate reasons for not wearing face masks. I work for a charity for people with learning difficulties, some of whom, due to their mental conditions, cannot wear face masks because it freaks them out. Many of them live alone (albeit with support) but don't have the nous or know how or mental capacity to order home deliveries online so going in store to buy food is is the only way they can feed themselves.

Comment

Some for breathing issues though? I honestly feel if you cannot breathe with a facemask on you would definitely die in your sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                  Many have legitimate reasons for not wearing face masks. I work for a charity for people with learning difficulties, some of whom, due to their mental conditions, cannot wear face masks because it freaks them out. Many of them live alone (albeit with support) but don't have the nous or know how or mental capacity to order home deliveries online so going in store to buy food is is the only way they can feed themselves.
                  You should be furious at all these idiots that are falsely claiming they're in this group when they clearly aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                    Some for breathing issues though? I honestly feel if you cannot breathe with a facemask on you would definitely die in your sleep.
                    As someone who had asthma as a child (curiously enough it went away when I started smoking at 15 - strange but true, and thankfully didn't return when I quit smoking 25 years later ) I can easily imagine that those with acute asthma or other serious respiratory conditions might be unable to properly breathe through a mask but imagining doesn't make it so so who knows. Doctors probably. And other experts. But not me. And probably not you. No offense .

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    You should be furious at all these idiots that are falsely claiming they're in this group when they clearly aren't.
                    Even if pretending, they don't bother me.

Comment

If someone has a serious respiratory condition, they’d want to be a total dumbass to use that as a reason not to take every precaution against a disease that attacks the respiratory system.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        If someone has a serious respiratory condition, they’d want to be a total dumbass to use that as a reason not to take every precaution against a disease that attacks the respiratory system.
                        Precisely. Their "serious respiratory condition", 9/10 times, is really "I find it slightly harder to breathe in a mask and don't like it".

Yeah, no ****. None of us like it. PUT THE ****ING MASK ON.

Comment

Yep, and if you don't want to mask up then put one of those clear face thingies on then.
                          Or, just don't go out.

Comment

Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes is usually a good approach I find. I like Groucho Marx's take on it too - “Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes”

Briliant.

Comment

Working...
                            X