Thoughts on Vaccine Passports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Vaccine Passports

***Any mods reading feel free to add a Poll if you think one would be beneficial to the thread***

Question for you all...what are your thoughts on Vaccine passports?

Apparently there is looking likely to be some decision this week from the bloated windbag about how we tackle the issue of potentially having some form of vaccine passport being brought in & I'm just curious on the opinion of the well learned BD posse

Personally I'm 100% for them, have been since the start of the vaccine roll out...in fact I've been saying the Vaccine should be mandatory anyway but that's something that I seem to be in the minority about but Vaccine passports I think should be a requirement.

As you all know I'm desperate for things to re-open & to get back to some normality & I think the passport is the best way for this to happen, especially where international travel is concerned
    I want to go back to Vegas & Florida as soon as humanly possible but by the same token I REALLY don't want to be stuck in a flying petri dish with a bunch of unvaccinated people for 10-12 hours
    Ok so half the population of where I'm going will most likely not be vaccinated either but I can at least take chances & keep a distance from them etc.

As I mentioned previously pubs/restaurants/Clubs don't interest me in the slightest so how they handle bookings & allowing people back in doesn't bother me but I want to go back to Football ASAP & I genuinely think the only way this will happen is with some sort of passport.

Obviously the big question mark here is how far will it need to go...I can see the issue people may have if Employers start demanding that you need to be vaccinated to be employed but I think the benefit of a passport far outweighs any issues

Anyway I guess the what the purpose of this bloated post is...how do you feel, would you have one?
    Do you think it's an invasion of your privacy?
    Do you think it will cause a social divide?

Neil

Won't happen for many reasons such as people saying they can't be vaccinated due to health reasons (I've seen people enter supermarkets with no mask muttering this rubbish), the clot rubbish that was front and centre on the BBC homepage earlier. I also don't trust them to get the administration of these passports right, whatever form they may take.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
      I also don't trust them to get the administration of these passports right, whatever form they may take.
      This. Personally, I totally see the merit in them and, I think if we lived in good countries in a good world, I’d say absolutely let’s go for it. My trust in it, that it wouldn’t be abused, sold as a database to private companies, or just become an excuse to hand a mate a £20 billion contract, well, my trust is low. So I’m conflicted on it and currently can’t really commit to a for or against.

Comment

I think it's more-or-less nailed-on that it'll happen for international travel regardless of what our own government thinks and I've no problem with it - having to get/prove vaccinations for various countries as a condition of entry was already something that was going on. If that's what it takes for me to be standing outside a Bangkok 7-Eleven eating a chicken skewer and drinking a cold beer, sure whatever. I would hope that provisions can be made for people who can't have the vaccine, but I'd also expect that it should be in the form of testing rather than just accepting it at face value. If people don't like that, my view would be "too bad". I don't like having to keep taking my belt and shoes off at the security checkpoints, but I just suck it up like everyone else.

I doubt it'll happen for domestic purposes. There's talk about it not being a likely proposition until everyone has had the opportunity to receive both vaccinations as it's obviously pretty unfair until that point and I can imagine that being an argument that could really kick off. But once we get to the point where everyone who wanted the vaccine has had it, would passports be that useful? I think the government just like to hint about the idea of it to keep uptake rate high amongst anyone who feels reluctant.

Comment

Sheer and utter waste of time. The amount of work required to actually get it up and running, also factoring the issues of other countries travel rules, the international effort required on it and the cost all render it utterly useless. By the time it would be up and running most of the people with the passport travelling would have had their vaccine so long ago the effects wear would make travel a heightened risk again so you're then looking at mandatory booster shots for 2021 travellers that takes supply from others. It's like the recent Pubs passports idea No.10 floated, it's a bad measure floated through impatience. The money that would be sunk into this Dodo would be staggering and much better spent on other things. International travel isn't important, well, not in the context of comparison to getting things at home sorted out first. The Government should rule out travel for 2021.

By the time 2022 holidays rock around vaccination in most popular countries would be far along that people could go on holiday without a vaccine passport and likely even enjoy their trip without spending the entire time adhering to foreign lockdowns and COVID rules. Government talk of rushing this kind of thing when we still can't stay in a B&B in Blackpool for the weekend sums up why the UK has cocked up COVID so many times. We're royally ****** when the next pandemic hits, that one sure has hell won't be wrapped up within 18 months.
          Last edited by Neon Ignition; 03-04-2021, 21:38.

Comment

Oh they will definitely give some lucky company a few billion to perform the world's biggest mail merge.

Comment

Just ban travel abroad for the next 3 years until vacations are wide spread enough and be done with it.

As much as i love visiting other countries myself, its not a right and i can live without it for another few years.
              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 04-04-2021, 00:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                This. Personally, I totally see the merit in them and, I think if we lived in good countries in a good world, I’d say absolutely let’s go for it. My trust in it, that it wouldn’t be abused, sold as a database to private companies, or just become an excuse to hand a mate a £20 billion contract, well, my trust is low. So I’m conflicted on it and currently can’t really commit to a for or against.
                This is my take. If you could clap your hands and get a really simple system, made fast, totally secure with no feature creep or financial interest, I'd be up for it, as a temporary measure that either gets dismantled in the future or mothballed, deleting everyone's data until the next time it needs to be used.

But I have zero faith in that. The government will give it to a mate who overcharges for it, makes a **** system, and sells the personal info of everyone afterwards.

Comment

The name is rubbish.

They should be called CovID.

Comment

Yeah if I had any faith in this government then I'd say its a good idea. But it'll be ****ed in to oblivion.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                      Just ban travel abroad for the next 3 years until vacations are wide spread enough and be done with it.

As much as i love visiting other countries myself, its not a right and i can live without it for another few years.
                      How are vacations going to be wide spread if you’re banning travel?!

Even excusing the typo, and being the most COVID-conscious person you could meet, this is a bafflingly short-sighted point of view. I can list plenty of things you’d all miss that I could easily go three years without, how about we ban these too?

Comment

They're getting trialled it seems, can't be long till we find out which experiences, knowledgeable, unassociated and independent company is behind the app...

Comment

If the virus isn't going away and we have vaccinations that prevent nigh-on 100% of death, I can't see what stopping vaccinated people going overseas for three years would do other than overrun domestic holiday areas and make life hell for residents there, mass job losses in the travel industry and me being an even more horrible person to be around. The complete roll-out in most countries is about 9 months. If I've had my shots and the people in the destination country have had theirs, we've done all we can. We can't hide under the bed forever. This virus has already circulated everywhere and it's here to stay.

Comment

That's essentially where I'm at with it, which is why 2021 is still a no-go. They should just make it official so travel companies can start booking and planning for a secure 2022

Our experts say...

"UK Government traffic light system for international travel to reopen"

Comment

I see no issue with international travel this year between countries where vaccination programmes have had a wide rollout. The idea of banning travel until 2024 is nuts. International travel isn’t just to get a bit of sun for two weeks. Major life stuff - study, family, career - can depend on it too.

Comment

Working...
                              X