MechaPwn - PlayStation 2 MechaCon exploit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MechaPwn - PlayStation 2 MechaCon exploit

Some very interesting progress in the PS2 scene right now. Recently the MechaCon was dumped and it appears as if an exploit has materialised named MechaPwn.

Contribute to MechaResearch/MechaPwn development by creating an account on GitHub.

There are some model limitations but it should allow you to boot all regions of retail discs without a modchip. Not 100% how backups are treated, but I definitely saw a YouTuber booting a PS1 backup using this method.

The limitations appear to be:

• No consoles before 5000X (10000/15000/18000/3000X/3500X/3900X)
    • For 5000X and 7000X Japanese and PAL machines you won't be able to boot games from other regions due to enforced strict logo decryption.

So I'd love to know how anyone with supported consoles gets on with this! Half tempted to buy a later 7XK model just to mess around with this or remove the modchip in my 90006.

I went ahead with the (rubbish) modchip removal on my 90006, changed it to a DTL-H90001 and now I'm able to boot all region PS1 and PS2 titles!

On the PS1 side you'd run into the 50/60Hz issue unfortunately with this method, modchips usually have some kind of video fix to get around this but when you don't use 50Hz it becomes less of an issue.

Comment

Amazing really

Comment

Working...
      X