Xbox one blu ray. Resume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox one blu ray. Resume?

How do I get the Xbox one blu ray to resume? I haven't taken the disc out. But after playing a game or Netflix for a bit and then returning to blu ray it has forgotten and loads the disc afresh. Then have to search. It's like using VHS ffs.

Resume play only works with certain discs. I think discs with Java content don’t work with resume on any player.

Comment

Bloody hell. It's the dark ages. DVD on my OG Xbox did resume properly.

Is this just on Xbox One? Would a dedicated player do resume, or is it the disc itself on all players?

So basically I need to finish a whole episode each time or get enraged the next time?

Apologies to VHS earlier. VHS obviously remembers where you left off.

Comment

One of the biggest, conceptual changes introduced with Blu-ray discs (and continued with UHD Blu-ray discs) was the idea the Studio could include computer program code -- software -- ON the disc, which would load and run whenever you played that disc, and which would CONTROL that playback.

Guess it's all players.

After using Netflix for so long, I feel violated.

Comment

It is a bit weird. I thought it was all blu-rays until I noticed that some actually do pick up where you left off.

Comment

If only HD-DVD had won the format war...

Comment

I really like Blu-rays, and I buy and rent a good number of them. But there’s no question that the experience of watching a TV series via a streaming platform is just much better than juggling multiple discs.

The flakiness of disc resume features is annoying, and the other one that bugs me - on movie discs, too - is the complete overuse of the feature that allows disc makers to prohibit certain functions. E.g. not being able to jump straight to the menu during trailers, or even stop the disc entirely during opening idents.

Comment

Yeah, Blu-Ray might resume from where you left off but it's not widespread or guaranteed.

In many ways, BD is worse for the home experience than DVD, despite the obvious improvements:

Here's James Rolfe's Top 10 Reasons Blu-ray Sucks on Cinemassacre. Well, except for the new AVGN BFG collection Blu-ray which you can get here: https://store...

Comment

Some of the stuff in that video is either weirdly specific (the 'encryption key' update, which I've never seen and is probably a PS3 specific update to Cinavia copy protection, if I had to guess), debatable (the advantages of Bluetooth for a remote), or straight up wrong (the idea that there were no royalties payable on VHS and that no company controlled it).

But, that said, I get where he's coming from. As much as I love the AV quality of standard and UHD Blus, they whiffed on the experience of using them big time. UHD is arguably an even worse offender, since they had a second chance to improve things and didn't.

I really have no idea why you're forced to sit through studio idents and a piracy warning before reaching the menu. It makes no sense and they should just drop it. You rewatch the idents when the movie actually starts anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X