Retro|Spective 181: The Sega Saturn Obscure Archives Volume 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 181: The Sega Saturn Obscure Archives Volume 01

A shift in gear now for the next couple of RS installments as we take a brief tour of a number of the Sega Saturns less known releases, titles that are much less likely to be familiar to most gamers but might be areas of curiosity for those revisiting Sega's penultimate machine.

Astal
    1995 - Sega
    A 2D platformer from Sega itself that passed by quickly and unnoticed for the most part due to the heralding of the 3D era.

Astra Superstars
    1998 - Sunsoft

A 2D fighter based around airborne attacks, it was an exclusive port of the arcade version.

Character: SakamotoSlightly unusual and hectic airborne fighting game. Pretty fun to watch and play. Instead of jump and duck "sidesteps" can be performed to...

Asuka 120% Limited Burning Fest
    1997 - Fill in Cafe

Another 2D fighter, this was the third of five versions to be released but the last within its original studios lifetime. With reworked sprites the game was step forward at the time for the series.

http://www.longplays.orgPlayed by: ScHlAuChiPretty good fighting game! -Disclaimer: Most videos by World of Longplays use SaveStates!

Batsugun
    1993 - Toaplan
    A vertical bullet hell shooter, this was the studios last game that integrated RPG style XP levelling into its weapon system.

Batsugun (バツグン Batsugun) is a vertically scrolling shoot 'em up video game created by the now-defunct Japanese game developer Toaplan. The title translates t...

Battle Garegga
    1998 - Raizing

Another vertical shooter, this port arrived two years after the games debut and 18 years before an updated version would also be made. One of the Saturns rarer games, copies can go for over £100 these days.

This superplay is unlocked in game once certain criteria are met. It was played by Wild-Snail: USI (Savini#) & Bornnam: Wat, their real names are never menti...

Battle Monsters
    1995 - Scarab

A versus fighter, the game wasn't well received so disappeared quickly but is notable for being part of the wave of titles that used digitised actors in the fighter animations and also having multi-tiered stages.

Battle Monsters is a 2D fighting game, using digitized actors and claymation monsters to capture the Mortal Kombat look and feel (about 3 years too late).---...

Did you ever try any of the above six more obscure Saturn titles?
    Do you miss the era that allowed these kinds of smaller oddities to exist?

Do you miss the era that allowed these kinds of smaller oddities to exist?
    Kinda "no"...

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    Did you ever try any of the above six more obscure Saturn titles?
    ... and this is why.

I always wanted to try Astal. One of the earliest issues of Sega Saturn Magazine came with a demo-cd called "The Bootleg Sampler" which had some playable demos and videos of upcoming games, and I remember watching the video for Astal and putting a pin in trying it when it came out... Which it never did. In the UK at least.

(someone's probably going to come along now and say it actually did, but if that's true, I never saw a version on a shelf during the machine's entire UK life)

And this is part of the problem. I loved the Saturn and it's true that I miss that era in some ways, but I really don't miss how games had such limited availability then. So many great titles were simply unavailable unless you were willing to pay a lot for importing and get awkward things like modded consoles and other tools.

One thing I love about gaming today is how digital delivery makes it really easy to go play something really weird & obscure. I also love about how hardware becoming more standardised has meant that most truly good games will likely see future re-releases and collections.

Comment

The Batsugun .gif is actually Gigawing.
      Some great games there thought. Garegga and Batsugun are both first class shooters and Astal was what I thought the 32 bit generation was going to be all about namely peak 2d graphics.
      I would disagree that we’re no longer seeing oddities like back then. There are heaps of indie games in that role on mainstream console storefronts like never before.

Comment

I had a lot of fun with Batsugun and Battle Garegga. Couple of top notch shmups. I'd played the odd 2D shooter in the past but the Saturn was the console that really got me to notice the genre (Souky being my gateway).

Comment

I am the official Saturn Master of these boards (self proclaimed of course ) since I had a full Japanese original set. Now I only own 80% of that due to difficult times. Still, to me none of the above are obscure but all are great. I could recommend some obscure yet good games if people are interested.

Comment

Definitely, the list I'm working from has enough for several more rounds of this but being less familiar with them it's harder to separate out the ones that are worthy of playing from those that deserve to be forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              I am the official Saturn Master of these boards (self proclaimed of course ) since I had a full Japanese original set. Now I only own 80% of that due to difficult times. Still, to me none of the above are obscure but all are great. I could recommend some obscure yet good games if people are interested.
              That would be interesting!

Comment

Okay, this weekend I'll give a few suggestions. Good job I still have all the data from my old Segagaga Domain site.

Comment

Awesome, cheers Yakumo, I'll look forward to that.

Comment

I like the sound of that, it would be like one of those Metal Jesus Rocks "rare games" videos, but if it was actually good and useful.

Comment

Working...
                    X