Retro|Spective 183: The Sega Saturn Obscure Archives Volume 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 183: The Sega Saturn Obscure Archives Volume 03

Taking us into the weekend here's a third installment with another four games as we continue looking at the Saturns less discussed games:

Mr Bones
    1996 - Zono

Playing as Mr Bones, a lone good skeleton in a world being invaded by bad ones looking to spread evil everywhere, players tackle this platformer as it taps into several other genres and presents a strange tone and cutscenes. The game was unique through attempting to have each level be unlike each other from a gameplay perspective. Some hated its style and play, others were enamoured by the uniqueness of the game.

Mr. Bones (ミスター・ボーンズ) is a 1996 game by Zono for the Sega Saturn.NOTE: This is a mashup of the US and Japanese releases. All actual gameplay footage is from ...

Rabbit
    1997 - Aorn

An arcade fighter in 2D where players choose from eight fighters who can summon animal spirit moves, though unconnected to the company the game shared some elements in common with SNK fighters like Samurai Shodown.

This is a playthrough using Zao-long in the Saturn version of Rabbit. Read on below for more information...Zao-long is the one and only boss you fight agains...

Vatlva
    1996 - Ancient Corp

This multiplayer title was in a way like a small scale arcade twisted metal style game where players control jeeps in an arena using weapons to try and destroy each other.

Once I set the controls "right" (around 02:30), I found the game enjoyable. I recommend this game that is also surprisingly inexpensive (ca 25$).

Super Tempovatl
    1998 - Aspect, Red Company

A 2D cartoon style platformer, a follow up to two Game Gear and 32X games the game mixes traditional platforming with rhythm sequences.

Steering away from the wealth of shooters, what was the most unique Saturn game you played?

Super Tempo is great. The GG version is kind of bogus standard platforming fare but not the Saturn version. There’s loads going on and it’s a treat to play. I think it’s pretty expensive these days so thank goodness for ODEs.

Comment

Working...
    X