No announcement yet.

Returnal - PS5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've logged 40 hours now and had 1 boot to menu with error report and 1 glitch with sound where I lost all in game music and sound effects apart from controller effects until I finished the run and reloaded the game. There have been so many patches though. If I'm on a good run I have to play in one sitting. Also, Adrenalin leech is the best artefact in the game, Rotlobber best weapon.

Comment

Finally managed to beat the first boss after too many hours, and after coming semi-close to call it quits. And I have only experienced 1/6 of the game. I’m not as good a player as I thought and biome 1 became a grind with little variation, unlike in Hades where I feel there is something new to explore at each run (just 2 escapes so far). But now to check out biome 2 and see how much I suck there.

Comment

I've not picked it back up since getting to the second Biome the investment of time per run, compared to the progress just feels so unbalanced at the moment. I think Eurogamer hit the nail on the head with their review its an amazing game but at times it just feels like its a game that doesn't want you to play it.

Comment

I approach it like an arcade game in the vein of Smash TV. The endgame might be too big an ask for me but it's fun to simply have a run, kick some ass clearing out areas, bask in the Alien architecture and see how far you get.

Comment

Think I need to get this...

Really did enjoy RE8 but that didn't last as long as I thought it might!

40 hours is a big timesink and people seem to be enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
              Think I need to get this...

Really did enjoy RE8 but that didn't last as long as I thought it might!

40 hours is a big timesink and people seem to be enjoying it.
              its already creeping down in price £52 at amazon FR

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                I approach it like an arcade game in the vein of Smash TV. The endgame might be too big an ask for me but it's fun to simply have a run, kick some ass clearing out areas, bask in the Alien architecture and see how far you get.
                This is a great attitude. I never played Smash TV expecting to complete it. I’m still loving this having got over a major hump on biome 3 and flying through 4. Have left my PS5 on rest mode for last couple of days so god knows if that run is still waiting for me to carry on with it.

Comment

I’ve currently canned this because there’s seemingly a sound glitch that keeps affecting me and I’ve yet to find a solution for it not to happen, shame as I was REALLY enjoying it, I was at Biome 4 boss, which is where this sound glitch keeps happening.
                  Also it’s a god damn cool boss fight that I would like to have some sound for, y’know because it’s specifically a musically related boss.

Comment

I had that sound glitch on 2 and lost all sound. I’m actually on biome 5 now not 4 and didn’t get the glitch on the boss so seems a bit random

Comment

So I got this, had a really good first run, got to the first boss. Died but enjoyed it. Few crap runs followed by a really good hour long one up to the boss again. Freeze. Crash. All progress lost.

That's fine for a game that saves progress and doesn't waste my time if there is an issue. Not fine here. I turned off in annoyance.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
                        So I got this, had a really good first run, got to the first boss. Died but enjoyed it. Few crap runs followed by a really good hour long one up to the boss again. Freeze. Crash. All progress lost.

That's fine for a game that saves progress and doesn't waste my time if there is an issue. Not fine here. I turned off in annoyance.
                        sounds like what i experienced with this, I beat the first boss after a couple of attempts but since doing that and getting murdered by a massive squid in the next zone Ive not been back to it. That and i don't feel like Ive always got time for a full run under their current system.

Its a shame as I like the setting i like the story (from what Ive seen of it) But.... the problem is seeing it all is a massive time sink, just getting to a boss is a time sink and when their all bosses that require you to learn patterns and work out the best method of attack it all starts to feel a bit like pushing a bolder uphill, a bolder that randomly teleports you back to the bottom of a hill over and over again.

Comment

I finished this yesterday (twice due to buggy trophies, I wanted that badge!) and then did a run through of the first half and then second half today for a bit more story. I've really struggled with this game skill wise but have been hopelessly addicted to it for the last two weeks, I now feel like an absolute god! Clear GOTY for me, even with its bugs. (I cannot recall a game that has kept me up past midnight and putting in 25+ hours a week for a loooong time)
                          To add to the tips list here is what I've found that let me have a much easier ride than I was having for the first 30 hours.

- Save your money for the Integrity upgrades, don't worry about buying augments. I only splash out if I see Adrenalin leech or heal on low integrity. ( I got past 2nd boss with that and probably used a whole life bar in 'skin of my teeth' heals)
                          - Keep on the move, and play aggressively, the payoff in currency is worth it and will get you a massive life bar.
                          - Concentrate on dodging in bullet hell boss battles at first. The patterns are quite learnable if you pay attention.
                          - Ignore Proficiency augments and take any parasites that de-buff proficiency, choice of gun and perks is worth more than level.
                          - Get good with a selection of guns but not all of them. Learn the perks you like and if you're not progressing much, level up the perks instead. At first I thought game was too harsh on lack of progress but I think its absolutely spot on with that in mind. I think I'd play pretty well on a blank save now but the perks definitely help. I took out the last boss in about 3 minutes and had full health at the end.
                          - Best guns for me are: Rotgland lobber - any version is one shot for most enemies and then let damage over time sort them out. Thermogenic launcher once you unlock full auto and hollow seeker with serrated projectiles and portal beam/turret. Hollow seeker is not great for bosses until you get the portals as damage is very weak and serrated projectiles don't work on bosses.

I absolutely love this game but it kicked me in the balls a few time and I turned it off, but I was always back an hour later.
                          Gem of a game if you persevere.

Comment

I’m still not great at this but it’s not too infuriating for me as each time I try a new run it mixes things up.
                            Managed to beat the 1st boss for the first time over the weekend which felt great after 10 hours of gameplay so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Stakers View Post
                              I finished this yesterday (twice due to buggy trophies, I wanted that badge!) and then did a run through of the first half and then second half today for a bit more story. I've really struggled with this game skill wise but have been hopelessly addicted to it for the last two weeks, I now feel like an absolute god! Clear GOTY for me, even with its bugs. (I cannot recall a game that has kept me up past midnight and putting in 25+ hours a week for a loooong time)
                              To add to the tips list here is what I've found that let me have a much easier ride than I was having for the first 30 hours.

- Save your money for the Integrity upgrades, don't worry about buying augments. I only splash out if I see Adrenalin leech or heal on low integrity. ( I got past 2nd boss with that and probably used a whole life bar in 'skin of my teeth' heals)
                              - Keep on the move, and play aggressively, the payoff in currency is worth it and will get you a massive life bar.
                              - Concentrate on dodging in bullet hell boss battles at first. The patterns are quite learnable if you pay attention.
                              - Ignore Proficiency augments and take any parasites that de-buff proficiency, choice of gun and perks is worth more than level.
                              - Get good with a selection of guns but not all of them. Learn the perks you like and if you're not progressing much, level up the perks instead. At first I thought game was too harsh on lack of progress but I think its absolutely spot on with that in mind. I think I'd play pretty well on a blank save now but the perks definitely help. I took out the last boss in about 3 minutes and had full health at the end.
                              - Best guns for me are: Rotgland lobber - any version is one shot for most enemies and then let damage over time sort them out. Thermogenic launcher once you unlock full auto and hollow seeker with serrated projectiles and portal beam/turret. Hollow seeker is not great for bosses until you get the portals as damage is very weak and serrated projectiles don't work on bosses.

I absolutely love this game but it kicked me in the balls a few time and I turned it off, but I was always back an hour later.
                              Gem of a game if you persevere.
                              This is really encouraging to hear. I don't think I've figured out how the perks work.

I've been playing it like I play Dead Cells now - rushing.

I am pretty sure I need to slow down and play Dead Cells how I did when I started out, slowly...

It has a pull to it but I'm not hooked just yet.

Comment

Yes. I should have laid that out. Start slowly until you’ve learnt the enemy types and room layouts. Cheese the doors if you have to (most attacks don’t go through doorways at the start) I’ve just got the collectibles to go which could be a bit of a grind but I just love the gameplay and it’s nice to be able to run through after all of that early challenge now gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X