Returnal - PS5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stakers View Post
    Yes. I should have laid that out. Start slowly until you’ve learnt the enemy types and room layouts. Cheese the doors if you have to (most attacks don’t go through doorways at the start) I’ve just got the collectibles to go which could be a bit of a grind but I just love the gameplay and it’s nice to be able to run through after all of that early challenge now gone.
    I am really pleased I took your advice and carried on with this, the gameplay minute to minute is tight AF and requires a lot of the player. Learning and reaction speeds, like Housemarques previous efforts I suppose - SHMUPs!

I have had an interesting experience so far though.

I had a great run and got to a significant boss. Two runs later I had

finished Act 1

but weirdly I feel like I got to that point too quickly. A luck based effort in some places meant that I feel like I missed out on some exploration and pattern learning that would have been helpful for me.

I basically never died in

the Citadel

and learnt how to string together a good loadout quite quickly.

So now
    is kicking my ass.

Biome 4 was a little step up but 5 is pretty tough

. Currently nailing the Hollowseeker - the Rotland I find difficult for some reason on the Overcharge - might need to give it some more time.

Very good game and I will finish it, hopefully soon because our first baby arrives in July and I can't see me wanting to do 5 hour runs then!!

Comment

Did I just beat this? I honestly don't know. The credits rolled, it felt like I missed a main boss, maybe I did maybe I didn't.

It is a FULLY immersive experience. You get a good run and you just get sucked in to the loop so well. I kept thinking about how the use of 3D space in a shooter like this is just amazing, I've no doubt HM tried this with a ship rather than a human character at first but it was probably too much to coordinate in one go.

I will run through again, at least once. As with all these types of games I only got so far because I got lucky with an amazing build, in one run I strapped on three final pieces of pervasive tech that will let me go back and get other stuff from other areas but I didn't need to to finish it.... I think.

And is it really over? Well that's the thrust of the story as well. I honestly don't know.

Comment

Ha. I did not finish.

Comment

Pretty much done. It won’t take you long to do the extra bits as they are pretty obvious where they’ll be. Only last biome had me looking for a while. I’ve started RE Village but will keep this for the odd collectibles run every now and again.

Comment

Managed to get to the credits after roughly 60 hours and over 100 deaths. Sweating profusely at the end after one-timing the last boss (the only one I managed to do that with). A real slug at times due to me sucking at the game. Later half felt easier, probably a combination of better weapons and slight improvement on my part. Glad I persevered because of my stubborness (and the Hollowseeker with portal beam).

Comment

Had a go at the new coop mode, yep its a full fledged coop mode alright, done properly.

This’ll be my way to see the end I recon.

Fantastic stuff and just what the game needed.

Comment

Generally, I tend to avoid "Souls Like" games as I'm usually really bad at them - should have played this one sooner though, the exploration and environments are excellent, perhaps an overused sci-fi time-loop trope at its core, but nonetheless, this is a must-play PS5 game, platforming, shooting and the metrovania elements all seem to work well together, so it gets a thumbs up from me.

Comment

Working...
                X