Critics Club III: The Greatest Films of 1887 - 1989

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club III: The Greatest Films of 1887 - 1989

We're finally in the home stretch now, and here is effectively the first semi-final round in our journey across cinematic history and the culmination of the third Critics Club thread series. Covering just over a hundred years of movie making the list of films above cover the most popular movies as voted for by the Bordersdown community. Now, it's finally time to thin the herd and to see which of the above films truly are:

The Greatest Films of 1887 to 1989

Which of the above films do you select as the very best from this period of cinema and what made you choose them?
    Metropolis
    0%
    Citizen Kane
    0%
    Godzilla: King of Monsters!
    0%
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    0%
    Planet of the Apes
    0%
    Cool Hand Luke
    0%
    Alien
    0%
    The Godfather
    0%
    Jaws
    0%
    Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    0%
    Blade Runner
    0%
    Aliens
    0%

I spent a while mulling the Alien films but in the end went for the sequel. As much as it requires the original and owes a massive debt to it there's enough quality and expansion to it to warrant the nod and ultimately of the two of them I would easily prefer to watch the second film. Jaws got the vote as well, barring some dated effects I struggle to think of how it could be better.

Comment

I haven't seen Cool Hand Luke or Metropolis so I guess they are shooting to the top of the "to watch" pile based on the company they are keeping there.

I went for Jaws and Blade Runner. Both films have been considered the best film I have ever watched at some point.

Comment

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Metropolis is actually quite a hard watch as some of it doesn't make a lot of sense. It deserves its place in history, but it helps not to overthink the film too much.

Cool Hand Luke is fab tho, definitely deserves a watch, Metropolis I could take it or leave it despite it being inspirational for scifi movies that followed it.

Jaws, Aliens, SW:V, Bladerunner - I can happily watch those over and over and still enjoy them - in all, it's an excellent list of movies.

Comment

I’m only voting for one film here despite the sheer quality of films on that list. And it’s 2001 I choose. Amazing film. Incredible visuals, spot on soundtrack, not much dialogue really and it leaves you plenty to ponder about mankind’s place in the grand scheme of things. Kubrick and his team made something truly remarkable that has aged well.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X