MiSTer and LG CX OLED and Refresh Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MiSTer and LG CX OLED and Refresh Rates

So I appreciate there may be no clear answer to this but anywho....

I Have a question that no one seems to be able to definitively answer regarding the MiSTer FPGA, framerates and the CX TV.

Certain refresh rates on the MiSTer cores such as SNES at 60.10hz, NeoGeo at 59.18hz etc. Etc.operate just like real hardware, so you'd think a VRR panel could sync to them without issues.

Despite having no way to turn Freesync on on the MiSTer device itself, using certain PC monitors such as the Asus ProArt PA248QV, through HDMI (not 2.1 either) the monitor syncs to the correct rate e.g. 59.18hz. However, despite the CX supporting VRR I get the attached image when spamming the green button for the Freesync menu. It reports the incoming framerate correctly at the 59.18hz frequency but locks the screen to 60hz. Outside of 50 and 60hz it refuses to correctly sync to the correct refresh rate and as a result games are not smooth and displays jerky errors. I have asked far and wide about this as on a CRT or on certain other monitors it displays buttery smooth. Have I misunderstood how the CX uses and reads VRR or is there something I can do to sync it to the correct odd rate?

I've tried renaming/changing to PC input and am up to date on firmware. I've also adjusted vsync to 2 of course. I've tried various modes and have turned Freesync Premium on with no luck. Other people have reported the same issue with the MiSTer and the CX so am wondering if someone can tell me why the TV refuses to sync to the odd rate? Is it purely because the MiSTer can't correctly handshake with the TV?
    Attached Files
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

If you haven't already, try turning HDR off for that input. I don't *think* HDR and freesync play very well together

Comment

Sometimes cores need unofficial support to be compatible with certain modern displays. I need the above linked 60Hz NeoGeo core if I want to display to my gaming monitors.

Make sure you grab the latest one, as he updates it alongside the official releases.
      Last edited by dataDave; 06-05-2021, 09:00.

Comment

I've been having a long discussion with it on the Mister forums, the CX definitely doesn't switch. It's an issue with the OLED despite supporting 40 odd to 120hz range. I don't want to force it to 60hz otherwise it's inaccurate and the shadow flicker and scrolling issues are still there. No bother I'll use the MiSTer solely for the cabs and perhaps PC/computer use on the OLED, as the MIDI audio stuff is lurv-er-ly! Thanks both
        Last edited by Escape-To-88; 06-05-2021, 16:17.
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Working...
        X