• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club III: Bordersdown Greatest Film of All Time Is... Jaws

Over Eighteen months

An average of Three Hundred rounds of voting

Over Eighteen Thousand movies

All of it has been building to this moment...

Three films have proven themselves to be the very best that film has given to us as voted so far by you, the users of Bordersdown. Here those final three face on film hurdle as we decide once and for all which of them is truly:

The Greatest Film of All Time

The final three films for you to choose between are:

Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    James Cameron's seminal sequel remains for many the benchmark of its franchise and also for the action genre itself. Featuring pioneering visual effects and a major expansion of the concept and narrative of the original film, this sequel set a standard that quite clearly few have come close to matching.

Jaws
    It probably shouldn't come as a surprise that a Spielberg movie would make it into the final vote. The directors body of work is generally considered to be one of the finest in filmmaking and this early effort overcame technical and budgetary issues with a careful hand guiding it so that those compromises only added to the effect of the film, it being a masterstroke in the art of tension building.

Aliens
    Cameron manages the impressive feat of taking up two of the final three positions in this vote with his work on the follow up to Ridley Scott's space horror. Like Cameron's own Terminator sequel, this film takes the same approach of expanding heavily on the concepts and scenarios of the original but what makes this film so special is how impressively this is done this time off the back of someone else's world building and how smartly it's done, offering for many the definitive depiction of the franchises universe.

This is the final vote and as such the key rule changes as you cast your final vote:

You can only vote for one of the above films

Which do you feel is the film that deserves to be Bordersdown's Greatest Film of All Time and why did you choose that cinematic classic over the others?
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    0%
    Jaws
    0%
    Aliens
    0%

Got to be Jaws from that list.

My younger self was obsessed with Aliens and would have chosen it straight away, but the over-watching of it on my part and the fine wine that is Jaws getting nothing but sweeter clinches it.

Not sure how T2 got on there

Comment

I wouldn't personally say it's the best film of all time, but of that list I'm with Atticus - definitely Jaws. It's near perfect. Like some sort of platonic ideal of a monster movie.

I love Aliens and T2 but they're not on the same level.

Comment

Of those three, yeah, it's the film about a shark that isn't about a shark.

Comment

Yep, got to say Jaws as well. The other two are great but, for me, the originals of each are better. Jaws stands alone.

Comment

Time to call the result and there really isn't any disputing the final call:

Bordersdown vote for the Greatest Movie of All Time is...

dun-dun dun-dun dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun daa-daa!

JAWS

Yes, just when you though it was safe to go back into the cinema, we now have our benchmark for cinematic greatness and for any film looking to topple it in future they're going to need a bigger bar of quality.

Comment

Smile you son of a...!
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Wait we weren't voting for this guy??

I retract my vote in that case and instead vote for Aliens, by which I assume you mean the aliens from the film Monsters Vs Aliens.

Comment

"ET" & "Jaws" Set IMAX & 3D Re-Release - Dark Horizons
                  Fans are hoping that Universal expands the release beyond the US as this August and September they will be releasing IMAX and 3D rereleases on the big screen for E.T and Bordersdown pick of greatest film ever - Jaws

Comment

I'm really tempted by Jaws in 3D!

Comment

I could go for watching either of those on IMAX.

Comment

Jaws swimming to IMAX screens in the UK — The Daily Jaws
                        ET isn't showing locally but advanced bookings for Jaws in the UK have opened

Comment

Is the tagline for Jaws at IMAX going to be:

"We're going to need a bigger screen!"

Missed opportunity if it isn't.

Comment

TheDailyJaws.com???? Someone is writing a daily news website about the film Jaws?!

I'm going to keep an eye out for tickets coming available for this at the BFI IMAX

Comment

Spielberg On "Jaws" Regrets Over Shark Harm - Dark Horizons
                              Spielberg says that one of his biggest regrets is the negative view on sharks the film contributed to and in turn the decimation of shark numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X