Guilty Gear Strive PS4 and PS5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guilty Gear Strive PS4 and PS5

The open beta is this weekend and it's got all the characters so I guess it's ok to do a first play for this.

I am not a fighting game expert. I've played a lot of them casually since SF2 on the Mega Drive (without a 6 button pad...) but never got good at them. I like to just have a knock about with friends.

With that caveat said; this is the most fun I've had with a fighting game since all day Alpha 2 Dash sessions with friends back in the day.

It looks stunning, it seemingly isn't bogged down with the hard to comprehend GG systems and I'm like a kid in a sweet shop wanting to try all the characters. There are always some characters I have no interest in playing in fighting games but everyone in Strive appeals. Currently using Giovanna a lot but also having success with Millia.

The lobby system is completely overblown and unnecessary. You have to wander around a world and challenge people at duel stations. It means there is unnecessary time between games. The game does have a wait in practice mode while we matchmake for you setting that worked great in the previous beta but seems to be broken currently. I got into a lobby with a group of friends last night and we kept swapping in and out of fights, everyone trying new characters and having a grand time.

The game seems really accessible compared to previous GGs and I highly recommend giving it a go if you're intrigued by the art style. Just mashing about with some beers is a great time. Oh and PS4 and PS5 can play together. Last night three of us were on PS5 and one on PS4 and it worked flawlessly.

Feels to different to what has come before, slower, all hits seems to have this overdone pause similar to samurai showdown.. and lastly while the new graphics are fantastic it seems the animation took a backseat this time.

Comment

Had another cracking evening on this with Ms. Chopemon. Lots of laughs and fun. Tried lots of character combinations and had a great time.

Comment

Spent a chunk of last night and today with the full game and I'm fully in love. Plays like a dream, looks incredible and the netcode has so far been brilliant. Superb.

Comment

Still trying to get used to the game, miss the gatling combos though. Think the game is pretty good but still get this naggling feeling of the game being WIP, more specifically with the UI and some aspects, like some characters super moves look awesome and cinematic but others not so much.

The wall splat transitions will take me some time to get used to as now keeping people in the corner is not viable....i think the game on the whole is pretty good even with my few issues but I wonder if Arc system will support the game or will they release another version in 6 months time

Music is spectacular though loving the vocal tracks

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
            Feels to different to what has come before, slower, all hits seems to have this overdone pause similar to samurai showdown.. and lastly while the new graphics are fantastic it seems the animation took a backseat this time.
            Tbh I tend to go for more combo heavy gameplay but if its less of a combo heavy game I am ok with it if the sense of impact is a lot more, like with Samurai showdown that seems to be the case....and the damage is a lot to

Comment

Been playing this over last couple of days. Absolutely spot on online. Really enjoying it. [MENTION=3985]chopemon[/MENTION], not sure if I played against you this evening? I was a Faust.

Comment

Oh man, I really struggled against you! I'm really enjoying Giovanna but I need to work out good ways of getting close. Your scalpel did a really good job of keeping me at distance.

Comment

He's horrible isn't he? He can be good at distancing, but I think those moves are quite unsafe. Might be worth labbing them out in training mode. It can be a struggle to deal with pressure. But yeah, really enjoyable so far.

Comment

Boring question, but I assume PS4 and PS5 versions cross-play?

Comment

Yep! Completely seamlessly as well. I haven't seen any indicator icon for players on different consoles.

Comment

Shame there's no crossplay with PC as I have friends who went the PC route. I do believe the Strive team are going to look into it.

Comment

Anyone still playing this?

I am still hooked. Bouncing between floors 8 and 6. I can't see myself in the Celestial floor, BUT I am having lots of fun trying. Still sticking with Faust. Would love to have some sparring player matches with anyone.

Also, crossplay is apparently in testing phase or something.

Comment

Have caved and ordered this, hopefully I can fight through the jungle that is my storage cupboard right now to find a stick.

Comment

I've gone with controller for this. I found the button arrangement on my stick a bit awkward for the button config I wanted to use. I may get the stick back out and practice though.

Comment

Working...
                              X