Recommend me some good DS / 3DS games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me some good DS / 3DS games

So, I've had a 3DS LL new model for about a year but all I have on it are the Sega 3D Ages series. Fantastic as they are, I should start to build up a collection. Here's the thing and I know this will upset some but I'm not interested at all in the following.
    Anything Mario, Zelda or Pokemon related.
    No anime based games like Yokai Watch, Bleach and so on.
    No ports of big boy console games. No point playing a gimpted or watered down version of a game I can play on the big screen.

So what is out there worth buying? Action games and shooters are what I'm after mostly but I honestly haven't got a clue about the DS / 3DS library.

Thanks

Ace Attorney, especially the first three games.
    Pac-Pix
    Air Traffic Controller / Air Traffic Chaos
    Advance Wars
    Ouendan
    Meteos
    Castlevania Dawn of Souls
    Age of Empires
    9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
    Ninja Town
    Infinite Space
    Theme Park

Edit - missed the line about action / shooters. Oh, well, the above are some of my favourites on the system, nearly all DS.

Comment

There's not a huge amount of shooters on the systems and the ones that are now have rather large price tags on them stuff like ketsui and nanostray go for wayyy too much for what they are.

Deathadder has already made a solid list of suggestions not a huge amount i could add to it as i don't think you'd like them but there is one thats REALLY good and doesn't fall into your list.

Shounen kinninden tsumuji, it's an action rpg with ninjas with puzzle based dungeons and really nice graphics for the DS in fact some of the nicest cartoon 3D polygons i have seen on the system and the messed up thing is it's made by EA of all people. When people mention hidden gems all the time on youtube this one really is just that, it's pretty much unknown to most of the net.

Be prepared to hunt for decent prices, even in japan you may not find it super easy to find some stuff for a bargain price anymore but thats going down to condition if you are ok with slightly janky copies it makes things way easier. Stuff like castlevania you are easily looking at near 8,000-10,000 yen for a mint copy. Pre pandemic the prices were slowly rising on stuff but you could still get bargains it seems now that a certain core of titles are now getting raked over the coals and now have extra zeroes added to the price tags.

Comment

Bangai-O is excellent on DS. Game Centre CX was a lot of fun. The Front Mission 1 port was good. I know you said you didn't want ports but is a SNES port ok?

New Style Boutique is great fun. Very charming and a good game.

Comment

Osu Tatakae Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
          Ghost Trick
          Hotel Dusk 1&2
          Professor Layton series
          Phoenix Wright series
          Nanostray
          WarioWare
          Jam with the Band

I've got like 80+ DS titles, I should remember more heh...
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

If they don't stick in your memory, probably not worth recommending.

DS:
            Chousoujuu Mecha MG
            Custom Robo Arena
            Tales of Hearts
            Super Robot Taisen W
            Rune Factory
            The two Chibi-Robo games
            SRW OG Mugen no Frontier

3DS:
            EX Troopers
            Fantasy Life
            Last edited by kryss; 06-06-2021, 22:12. Reason: i'd forgotten mugen no frontier!

Comment

Tokyo Beat Down (or Yajuu Deka) is a pretty overlooked side scrolling fighter that is a parody of 70s/80s Japanese cop drama shows. It plays alright enough if nothing special, but the story and dialogue is really funny. It made me laugh quite a lot when I was playing it.

Comment

DS

Kirby Canvas Curse
                Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
                Electroplankton

Comment

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

It really is a fantastic dungeon crawler.

Comment

Thanks guys. Some interesting titles mentioned there. I'm going to check out a few reviews and videos for each one. Hope I don't go making a big dept now

Comment

Kid Icarus: Uprising - It's not as hard as is made out to get used to the controls especially if you're playing it in fairly short bursts and its still criminal it hasn't had a Switch remaster

Comment

3DS:
                        Senran Kagura Burst
                        Senran Kagura 2
                        Etrian Odyssey IV
                        Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold
                        Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
                        Fire Emblem Awakening
                        Fire Emblem Fates
                        New Atelier Rorona
                        Stella Glow
                        Legend Of Dark Witch 1, 2, and 3 (digital)
                        Rinkou no Rantse/Iron Combat (digital; might not be on sale anymore )

DS:
                        Advance Wars Dual Strike
                        Etrian Odyssey III
                        Feel The Magic Xy-XX
                        Infinite Space

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. Bought 5 3DS games all boxed with manuals from Yahoo Auctions over the weekend. Only spent about 7000 yen too.
                          Sadly searching for 3DS games is a joke. There's no sub category like all other systems have and its overrun with bloody Yokai Watch, Monster Hunter and Pomemon bollocks. If only there was a way to not show games via a blacklist or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            Kid Icarus: Uprising - It's not as hard as is made out to get used to the controls especially if you're playing it in fairly short bursts and its still criminal it hasn't had a Switch remaster
                            That was one of the games bought. 700 yen plus 150 yen shipping. Nice price I feel.

Comment

Loderunner DS is fantastic fun.
                              Bangai O
                              Both different from their console brothers.

Comment

Working...
                              X