Speakers, soundbars and gaming audio.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speakers, soundbars and gaming audio.

My friend and i have a basic 2.1 LG soundbar with sub. For £110 its a pretty good package, good base, clear voices good overall sound quality. My pal is now thinking of upgrading good quality surround sound and going all in on something of good quality.

I know we’ve got some real audio nuts here so what would you recommend? His budget is up to £1000, so anything up to that.

Thoughts people?

Music? Or just game/cinema?
    The former needs decent 2.0 full range speakers.
    The latter you can get away with satellites and sub and amp

I know that's slightly too much. Just an example. Plus you need to buy cables and stands probably too.
    A good amp will make a difference.
    Looking for the best-in-class Hifi & Home Audio? Than look no further. Superfi offer w wide range of Hifi products, ranging across TVs, Home Cinema, Hifi Systems, Speakers, Amplifiers, Turntables, and much, much more. Discover Superfi and unlock visual & audio excellence.

Comment

depends if you want small satellite speakers or floor standers and book shelfs? a separate system is always the best way to go as you can upgrade as required or funds allow, start with a decent amp, with a good stereo pair, then add center/rear/sub as required.

Peter Tyson Audio Visual Online - Hi-Fi and AV retailers.

or
      Elevate your audio with Denon AV amps and receivers at Peter Tyson. Discover exclusive deals with free UK delivery and finance options. Shop now!

paired with these

and a center to match
      The heart of any home cinema system, the Q 3090Ci has been developed to compliment the 3000i series perfectly, bringing crisp and clear dialogue and onscreen sound to life, using the latest technological enhancements applied to the full 3000i series.The new 3090i - part of the 3000i Series is an evolution of the 3090, which has undergone a number of innovative improvements intended to bring about significant enhancements in both sonic performance and aesthetics from the already established and highly awarded range.

or

then add a sub and satellites if you want 5.1.

or bundle offers

Last edited by beecee; 21-05-2021, 06:55.

Comment

Lots of good advice above. Another tip is that, while a good amp is important, you should always be spending more on your speakers. Plus, remember to factor in the cost of speaker stands and speaker wire. No need to go mad with either of these - the sky’s the limit in terms of price - but they are almost always sold separately.

Comment

He’s definitely not going to want to get involved with amps, just a good set of satellite speakers with 5.1 upwards that will cover the latest standards. Basically he wants a box that has everything in it to just set up and go and will sound very good, not the best.

This is for 99% gaming I should add, he never watches tv or films.
          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 26-05-2021, 07:06.

Comment

you need still would need an amp for the 5.1 satellites, its no difference other than the size of the speakers between a satellite set up and speaker (bookshelf etc) set up.

Comment

If he doesn't want an amp, about the closest he'll get is something like a soundbar with centre channel built in plus wireless sub/rears.

Comment

Ah ok just had a look at those packages, comes with amps anyway. What I meant to say is he doesn’t want to deal with buying everything separately and trying to figure out himself what’s needed next etc.

Both those packages look like nice set ups ill pass those along.

Many thanks guys much appreciated.

Comment

Agreed with Charles. If he wants the simplest, most fuss-free setup, he is best off with a soundbar which incorporates wireless rear speakers. That means no separate amp required, no speaker wire required, and everything you need to get going in a single box.

One thing I would add - it sounds like he isn't a huge audiophile, so £1k may be more than he needs to spend.

A quick bit of googling reveals this recent release from Sony:

There aren't any reviews yet - but at £349, it might be worth him trying that to see if he's satisfied with it before plumping for something at the £1k mark.

Comment

Very interesting seems like a nice neat set up for the money. Sent him the link. Will do some digging as well.

Comment

Aren't those Sonos setups much cop?

I've not demoed one myself yet, but they look very user-friendly at least.

Comment

Only thing with Sonos I'd be weiry of is that they've rendered older versions of their speakers useless in the past - the speaker are good, but for this reason, I wouldn't touch them: https://www.engadget.com/2019-12-31-...alls-flat.html

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                          Only thing with Sonos I'd be weiry of is that they've rendered older versions of their speakers useless in the past - the speaker are good, but for this reason, I wouldn't touch them: https://www.engadget.com/2019-12-31-...alls-flat.html
                          That's not quite true. The deal is this:
                          If your system comprises entirely non first gen equipment then you're golden. Use all the latest stuff no problem.
                          If however you have one or more bits of older equipment, that can't work with the new infrastructure then you have two options (well, three):

1. Do their obsolescence trade-in like you linked to
                          2. Keep your old kit, carry on using their old software. All you'll miss out on is new features mostly to do with streaming providers
                          3. Sell your old kit to someone who doesn't mind doing 2) and replace it with new gear.

I had one old Bridge that meant I couldn't use their latest stuff. I lived with this for about a year without issue. I still got some bug fixes even. Eventually I tried to see if their claimed "you don't need a bridge anymore" was true and when I found out it was I took the bridge out the system and let everything upgrade.

It's not perfect and, like when Sony said they were taking the Vita store down, a very poor message went out initially that they back tracked on.

My system in the TV room has a soundbar and 2 rear Ikea/Sonos bookshelf speakers that can be used for music or as a surround sound system when watching TV. Overall I'm really happy with it.

Your sentiment is right though; to protect your investment you should get standalone components and use an open source solution for streaming. Sonos is a convenience compromise.

Comment

Working...
                          X