Retro|Spective 190: The Final Tour of Xbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
    The launch title I ploughed most of my time into was JSRF.
    UNDERSTAND-UNDERSTAND
    UNDERSTAND-UNDERSTAND
    UNDERSTAND-UNDERSTAND

Comment

Beat Down: Fists of Vengeance
      Hailing from Capcom, this exclusive third person beat em up saw players taking on the role of one of five undercover operatives working to take down a dodgy company in classic walk a long beat-em-up tradition. The game attempted to update the template by including a more open environment and allowing you to recruit NPC's.

Did you love Capcom enough to experience a Beat Down?

Comment

Apparently not! So onto the next title we go with...

Brute Force
        Hailed as Microsofts double whammy franchise to sit alongside Halo, the squad shooter aimed high and ultimately missed the mark with the Gears of War franchise taking the missed title the following generation. You wouldn't think such obscurity would surround such a hyped title that outsold Halo on release but the games inability to embrace its potential as a tactical shooter using unique skills left players with a simple and forgettable shooter.

Was completing this game an effort of brute force?

Comment

I feel bad for not responding after all the work you put in to your posts, but I just haven’t played any of these games. Know that I am following the thread regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            UNDERSTAND-UNDERSTAND
            UNDERSTAND-UNDERSTAND
            UNDERSTAND-UNDERSTAND
            Scapegoat Wax - Aisle 10

Comment

Cheers And we'll be getting to THE POWER OF LOVE

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                Cheers And we'll be getting to THE POWER OF LOVE

Comment

Man, [MENTION=345]Neon Ignition[/MENTION] is really going for "Xbox exclusives that were pretty ****!"

Comment

Full Spectrum Warrior
                    Steel Battalion + line of contact
                    Ghost recon island thunder
                    Project Gotham racing
                    Halo 1&2

Those were the ones for me.

Also kotor and morrowind

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      Man, @Neon Ignition is really going for "Xbox exclusives that were pretty ****!"
                      I’m actually finding it really interesting as I’ve never even heard of most of them!

Comment

It's part of why I've found the OG Xbox weirdly alluring of late. The PS2 was drowning in B and C tier stuff whilst the Gamecube had a lot of... not B/C tier but curios that weren't what people were wishing for but the Xbox was an entirely new format and seemed to draw attempts to stand out easier than they could on PS2 yet weren't great either... but still kind of intriguing.

Comment

I recall Brute Force being such a letdown and I wasn't even hyped, the game being billed as the next Halo didn't sell me because I always found Halo to be immensely overrated. Despite that though the game was plainly very simplistic, given simple third person shooters can be fine enough to play through I'd be curious if it still feels that way through a modern unhyped lens.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
                          Yes, it's easy to forget that this beat em up title by the Collective based on the TV show was and still remains exclusive to the original Xbox console. The game played out much like an episode of the show would with players taking on the role of the Slayer as she dispatched with vampires and various other monsters whilst saving her friends and Sunnydale from greater threats. The game was a well received title that led on to a sequel subtitled Chaos Bleeds that was multi-format but failed to keep the series running in game form.

Did this Buffy game absolutely Slay Xbox players?

Comment

I remember that it was popular, though I was a bit mystified as to why.

When are we gonna talk about GunValkyrie? That's usually good for a circular 5-page argument of whether it was "a good game with weird controls" or "that means it's a crap game because you noticed the controls". Someone will take us on a tangent about Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Comment

The controls were bloody awful and sucked out any potential enjoyment I could get from the game. I really wanted to like it.

Comment

I remember people really liking Buffy so I got it and couldn't play much. So difficult to play.

Comment

Working...
                                X