This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
    Cheers, dude. Looks great. I just read it plays vertically too.
    If you want a good rundown of the game studio mudprints has a great review up of it

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      For myself it's the mix of bullet styles & patterns as it's not all from the top like mushi in crimson clover you can be surrounded from all sides testing your reaction & survival skills to the max and there's many types all that have to be dealt with in different ways as some can be cancelled out. Then there's the break mode mechanic activating it feels like going into god mode but if you manage to get double break it's like been the ultimate god of destruction the way the borders of the screen widget open out when you activate it makes it feel very cool as everything is wrecked by your wave of destruction. The game also runs at blistering speeds it doesn't slow down at all even in the most busiest of bullet hail storms.

I kind of ruined it for myself by playing crimson first as now everything will have to match up against that, not to say other shooters are bad but that's the bar i now measure them against. For me the more shooters that get on the switch the better.

FUUUUUUULLLLL POOOOOOOOWWWWWEEEERRRRR
      Love it. You need to play it so much that the bullet patterns are burned in to your eyes when you look away.

Comment

Looks cool, where do you even start with these things? Closest I've ever gotten was Ikaruga.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Looks cool, where do you even start with these things? Closest I've ever gotten was Ikaruga.
          Initially I wouldn't bother with scoring, just play for survival. Some people get better by playing through the whole game repeatedly with unlimited continues. To me, that's a bit overwhelming, so I tend to focus on learning a couple of stages. Just getting to stage 3 in CC with one credit took quite a bit of practice! Whilst there is a lot I admire about Ikaruga, I always find having to concentrate on which colour I am takes away from the fun a bit. CC is more exciting, just shoot and dodge! Remember that parts which can seem impossibly difficult can sometimes be quite easy once you know the techniqiue, so don't be afraid to experiment with positioning or which enemies you shoot first. Another little tip is don't move unless there's a purpose. A lot of new players randomly wave around the screen hammering the fire button, but often that just results in targetted enemy bullets flying in all directions! Hitboxes are tiny, so you only need to move a few pixels away to dodge something. CC also has a novice mode which might be helpful if you're new to the genre.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
            Initially I wouldn't bother with scoring, just play for survival. Some people get better by playing through the whole game repeatedly with unlimited continues. To me, that's a bit overwhelming, so I tend to focus on learning a couple of stages. Just getting to stage 3 in CC with one credit took quite a bit of practice! Whilst there is a lot I admire about Ikaruga, I always find having to concentrate on which colour I am takes away from the fun a bit. CC is more exciting, just shoot and dodge! Remember that parts which can seem impossibly difficult can sometimes be quite easy once you know the techniqiue, so don't be afraid to experiment with positioning or which enemies you shoot first. Another little tip is don't move unless there's a purpose. A lot of new players randomly wave around the screen hammering the fire button, but often that just results in targetted enemy bullets flying in all directions! Hitboxes are tiny, so you only need to move a few pixels away to dodge something. CC also has a novice mode which might be helpful if you're new to the genre.
            Sorry, which game is this, specifically?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
              Anybody else seen the rumour that Mario Golf Super Rush has no accuracy button? Hope this is bull**** and not catered for motion controls.
              Hadn’t seen that, but on the videos I’ve seen there definitely seems to be 2 meters being “stopped” before the swing? Maybe these are old though...

Comment

Sorry, which game is this, specifically?
                I was referring to Crimson Clover, but a lot of it applies to most bullet hell!

Crimson Clover is my favourite bullet hell on the Switch right now, it's available worldwide, and isn't very expensive.

Comment

Ikaruga is really more of a puzzle game than a bullet hell shooter. I approach new shmups with an eye to survival at first then learn the scoring mechanics. The beauty of the genre is you can dive in for a quick blast treating it like an old fashioned twitch style arcade game. And when you have more time dig in for a high score.

And as much as I adore Cave’s games Crimzon Clover is probably the best shmup on the Switch. Closely followed by Missile Dancer and GG Aleste 3.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    Ikaruga is really more of a puzzle game than a bullet hell shooter. I approach new shmups with an eye to survival at first then learn the scoring mechanics. The beauty of the genre is you can dive in for a quick blast treating it like an old fashioned twitch style arcade game. And when you have more time dig in for a high score.

And as much as I adore Cave’s games Crimzon Clover is probably the best shmup on the Switch. Closely followed by Missile Dancer and GG Aleste 3.
                    Yeah. Most of the time I start off just having fun blowing **** up but then I get to like level 3 and I find myself in the zone. Just laser focused. I find I have a very small window of 'zone' though.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                      I see that's on sale now - quite tempted.
                      If you're able, the Japanese standard eshop price (1,980 yen ≈ £12.85) is actually lower than the UK price even after the sale discount (£14.39).

This is definitely true. Unlike most shooters, where high-score hunting is just "playing for survival but better", Ikaruga becomes a totally different, memorization-over-reactions experience. I'm still not 100% sure whether I think that experience is actually fun, but I'll be damned if I don't respect the hell out of it for its laser-precise design philosophy. Watching superplays of it is the gamer equivalent of watching ballet. Or space acrobatics.
                      Last edited by danstan21; 22-06-2021, 15:55.

Comment

I should have an arcade stick arriving for the Switch this week. It's becoming a great little shmup system.

Comment

Come on, ESP RaDe all day long!

Comment

No mention of Rolling Gunner makes me sad.

Comment

Right, good to know I'm not just being gaslit.

Cheers for the heads-up [MENTION=9333]kryss[/MENTION] !

Comment

How weird, i wonder why though?

Comment

Working...
                                X