This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo Switch: Thread 09

Just shy of the threshold and with a new hardware revision supposedly on the verge of unveiling it's a good time to step into the uncharted regions of a ninth thread for Nintendo's current machine.

This latest info from Amazon, if true, has the price at 356 Euro so circa £309.99. This would again suggest the OG model is on its way out.

They need it to be £299 anything over £300 is too expensive, But...

If its just a screen and processor refresh or a Tiny Bump in power like the New 3DS or DSI. Nintendo don't have a great history of supporting these type of incremental upgrades what did the new 3ds get a few first party games that supported it?
    Last edited by Lebowski; 03-06-2021, 15:34.

Comment

From what I can gather only 51 releases were exclusive to New 3DS and 30 of those were SNES roms and a further 17 indie titles all of which were exclusive to the system for no real reason at all. The remaining ones were Xenoblade Chronicles port, a slightly better running Minecraft version another indie level game and Fire Emblem Warriors. So essentially the extra grunt was pointless from a new games POV

Comment

This is going to be nice, but pointless. Nintendo are unlikely to patch any existing games to make use of the new screen and grunt. So it's going to be up to 3rd parties.
        As NE said, the 3DS wasn't exactly jumped on for support.
        In the end, it's going to be playing the same games on a nicer screen... Which you can already do by plugging the dock into a nicer screen.

Comment

Games that use things like dynamic resolution will likely benefit from the extra horsepower.

I doubt the 3DS had much use for dynamic resolution, considering the screen size, and there are more than a few Switch games that run worse in portable mode than docked.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
            Games that use things like dynamic resolution will likely benefit from the extra horsepower.
            Is that a thing that has to be recoded game by game though? If a game has dynamic resolution, will it have been coded in to a fixed set of specs rather than with a 'look and see what specs are available' approach?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Is that a thing that has to be recoded game by game though? If a game has dynamic resolution, will it have been coded in to a fixed set of specs rather than with a 'look and see what specs are available' approach?
              It depends on the implementation. But even with a baseline implementation in Unreal, many of the games literally change the resolution on-the-fly based on the performance of the machine - so if you put those games on a higher-spec machine, they'll just run better auto-magically.

Comment

A couple of generic questions from someone who knows nothing about Switch consoles, thanks.

(Background - young nephew wants a Switch for his next birthday. He can be a little sulky at times (often goaded by his two years older one year Switch-owning brother) with his go-to sulk move being to drop / throw things to the floor then stew somewhere. Being fair, he's clued up enough to rarely drop things that are breakable by his sulk, and doesn't sulk too much anyway, but...)

Which, if any, of the current Switch models (if there are even different models?) is the most durable / able to take a knock or two? The Switch would most likely be used more as a handheld than through a TV.

Is there anything you can do to a Switch to make it more durable during use? Screen protectors, unit covers, anything?

For carrying a Switch around are there any must have / must avoid carry cases? (Older nephew has an official one I think, seems good enough.)

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                  A couple of generic questions from someone who knows nothing about Switch consoles, thanks.

(Background - young nephew wants a Switch for his next birthday. He can be a little sulky at times (often goaded by his two years older one year Switch-owning brother) with his go-to sulk move being to drop / throw things to the floor then stew somewhere. Being fair, he's clued up enough to rarely drop things that are breakable by his sulk, and doesn't sulk too much anyway, but...)

Which, if any, of the current Switch models (if there are even different models?) is the most durable / able to take a knock or two? The Switch would most likely be used more as a handheld than through a TV.

Is there anything you can do to a Switch to make it more durable during use? Screen protectors, unit covers, anything?

For carrying a Switch around are there any must have / must avoid carry cases? (Older nephew has an official one I think, seems good enough.)
                  Honestly, none of them are as hardy as, for example, a GBASP or original tank DS. I don't think it's particularly hardy; people here have seen their units crack.

The Lite is probably the better of the two just because the controllers don't slot on/off; like it's one tablet.

Comment

Probably been harsh but there's no way in hell i'd buy any kid hardware if they are liable to throw it on the floor in a strop, they need to learn to respect stuff. Considering my OG switch ended up with the plastic crumbling away at the top with all it's life been spent been well looked after in a screen protector & a decent carry case i wouldn't trust one with any kid who can't look after stuff. I don't think any of the models are that sturdy.

Comment

Agreed. Another year and he'd be the same age as when his brother - who keeps it immaculate - got his. I'm just the uncle though, pushover parents...

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                      a screen protector & a decent carry case
                      Do tell!

(Edit - OG tank DS is a good shout, thanks!)

Comment

Honestly, I'd be more inclined to say the OG model. Like everyone else says it's hardly durable but by the sounds the newer version will have smaller bezels so be easier to screen damage when dropped. The Lite is also stuck due to its design, if you get stick drift you're knackered and it's a thinner cheaper feeling device. With the OG it's still prone to damage but at the least somewhat modular so if a joycon, dock, main unit etc breaks or is damaged you could easily ebay a replacement at worst rather than the whole unit or a more expensive version

Comment

Just a ponder... it feels like it would be very un-Nintendo like to launch Skyward Sword HD and BOTW2 only a small handful of months apart so I'm now expecting disappointment on that front for many too. Maybe close to March 2022 for BOTW2... more likely next Summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            Just a ponder... it feels like it would be very un-Nintendo like to launch Skyward Sword HD and BOTW2 only a small handful of months apart so I'm now expecting disappointment on that front for many too. Maybe close to March 2022 for BOTW2... more likely next Summer.
                            Summer 2022 is quite a way off but I agree about BOTW2 not coming until 2022.

Part of me feels like we'll see Splatoon 3 before BOTW2.

Comment

I'm looking forward to a week of broken hopes that don't cost me money.

Comment

Working...
                              X