No announcement yet.

Playing the Gamecube again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone hates it, but I really like Waverace Blue Storm. There. I said it. Plus, it's incredibly cheap compared to a lot of GC games, if you're going for official original discs rather than playing ISOs.

Comment

Originally posted by danstan21 View Post
      2) Pac Man Vs. - shallow but a great time for local co-op, if you have a GBA and GC-GBA link cable. It only came as a bonus disc with R:Racing Evolution (PAL regions) and the Player's Choice version of Pac Man World 2 (NTSC-U) so it doesn't turn up on eBay that often, though it's not very expensive when it does
      Also in the Japanese version of R:Racing Evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        Everyone hates it, but I really like Waverace Blue Storm. There. I said it. Plus, it's incredibly cheap compared to a lot of GC games, if you're going for official original discs rather than playing ISOs.
        I prefer it over n64 version I personally think it’s waaaay better. People go on about the n64 version like it’s some life changing event.

Ended up buying quite a few sports/racing games for cube I really enjoyed 1080 avalanche or whatever it’s called was quite a thrill when you triggered off the avalanche and you had to outrun it. Also ssx tricky and ssx on tour with Mario were fun too.
        Last edited by importaku; 09-06-2021, 15:31.

Comment

I bought the GC late, very late around 2009 as I thought it about time I got to see what the fuss was about LoZ. Bought almost immediately afterwards the Zelda Anniversary Collection, Wind Waker LE and Twilight Princess, F-Zero GX, REMake, SWRSII: Rogue Leader and the one I really wanted, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem .

Later added Soul Calibur II, Fire Emblem Path Of Radiance, PNO3, Battalion Wars, Resident Evil 0 and imported MGS: The Twin Snakes.

TBH I never loved any of the LoZ games. OoT and MM are outstanding but I still didn't love them. They were serious gamer's must play boxes being ticked.

Wind Waker I wanted to like but I didn't - more of the same barely drawn, relentlessly kid level characters and story telling. No thanks, I'd had enough and I sold my copy of TP recently still factory sealed.

Only those ^ embolden games on the GC made the purchase worthwhile for me. F-Zero GX I would have added if it wasn't for the bonkers difficulty level of the career campaign. I sold that on unfinished at a tasty profit years ago.

Couldn't get into the other games, even Soul Calibur II proved redundant as I got it for the Xbox and much prefer its controller to the, frankly, horrible GC one.

Only games I have now for the GC are REMake, Sanity's Requiem and still unplayed RE0.

If I hadn't made a nice profit on Fire Emblem I'd be sadder than I am about not keeping it. It was the one GC game I wasn't expecting anything from which was a revelation for me. A fantastic introduction to Tactical RPGs but unfortunately since then I've not found anything in that vein which has floated my boat.
          Last edited by fallenangle; 09-06-2021, 16:12.

Comment

I hope you’ve played BotW, fallenangle. If not then it may well change your perception of Zelda games for good. Also I can’t believe you didn’t like LttP or LA. They were the pinnacle for me, at least until BotW came along.

Comment

Everyone hates it, but I really like Waverace Blue Storm. There. I said it.
              Totally with you on that one. Nowhere near as bad as people try to make it out to be in context of what preceded it.

And yes, that applies to 1080⁰ Avalanche and Super Mario Sunshine also.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                I hope you’ve played BotW, fallenangle. If not then it may well change your perception of Zelda games for good. Also I can’t believe you didn’t like LttP or LA. They were the pinnacle for me, at least until BotW came along.
                Currently don't have any platform that can play BotW but I wouldn't rule it out despite my general lack of enthusiasm for LoZ. I'm always willing to give a well received game a chance.

Not played those other two; the only old school ones I've done were the two on the GC LoZ Anniversary disc, the original LoZ and ZII: TAoL. Did not enjoy the latter in particular. It put me off the other LoZ GC game: FSA not yet mentioned which I had consider getting too.
                Last edited by fallenangle; 10-06-2021, 22:36.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                  Also in the Japanese version of R:Racing Evolution.
                  Was available as a pre-order bonus for the US version of R:Racing and I-Ninja, there's a standalone disk in sleeve. Also you could buy it from Japan Club Nintendo.

(in fact the US standalone sleeve is the image used in the wiki page for the game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man_Vs. )
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                    Currently don't have any platform that can play BotW but I wouldn't rule it out despite my general lack of enthusiasm for LoZl. I'm always willing to give a well received game a chance.

Not played those other two; the only old school ones I've done were the two on the GC LoZ Anniversary disc, the original LoZ and ZII: TAoL. Did not enjoy the latter in particular. It put me off the other LoZ GC game: FSA not yet mentioned which I had consider getting too.
                    See, here’s where you’re going wrong… LttP, LA and BotW are by far the best entries IMO. And not owning a Switch is bordering on criminal!!

Comment

I completely agree. I haven't played the N64 version, but judging on its own merit I like it a lot. Possibly the only let down is the 30fps (or 25fps for the PAL version, thought it's optimised)

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        See, here’s where you’re going wrong… LttP and Majora's Mask LA and BotW are by far the best entries IMO .
                        Corrected.

Comment

TBH, ignoring my caveat about LoZ games in general, I enjoyed MM more than OoT. LoZ universe heresy?

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                            TBH, ignoring my caveat about LoZ games in general, I enjoyed MM more than OoT. LoZ universe heresy?
                            You're not the only one.

I have fond memories of OoT but structurally, I've always felt that it's a classic Zelda template that we've all seen and experienced before.

MM flipped the script in such a radical (for the time) way with the plot/setting/storyline that it still stands alone as such a unique experience in the franchise.

Comment

I can't find any fun in Blue Storm at all. Not fit to luck its predecessors boots.

But clearly it hits the spot for some.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathAdder View Post
                                I can't find any fun in Blue Storm at all. Not fit to luck its predecessors boots.
                                Wave Race 64 is a stone-cold classic, easily one of the very best N64 games, but this just isn't true.

Blue Storm is perfectly fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X