Playing the Gamecube again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing the Gamecube again

After selling my Gamecube about 4 years ago and over 200 games for literally next to nothing my youngest lad (5) recently helped me complete Pikmin3 on the switch and wanted to see the 1st 2 pikmins so Ive set off to get some GC stuff back into the collection.

Managed to find the 1st pikmin again, not played too much yet with work and other commitments but it looks easier on 1st impressions and still quite fun but got me thinking what else would he like or titles I may of missed 1st time around

Found a cheap Rocky on ebay as I recall that was always a hoot in COOP, and found both Monkeyball games which back in the day I somehow stuck with and completed.

Almost got a deal completed to pick up Mario Strikers but has anyone else got fond memories of any GC classics I should turn my attention too.

Cheers
    Ruby

I know it gets slated for being a cheap Zelda clone with annoying fetch quests, but I absolutely adore Starfox Adventures. The graphics, the music, the varied gameplay, the locales… I find it to be a complete package and really enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
      I know it gets slated for being a cheap Zelda clone with annoying fetch quests, but I absolutely adore Starfox Adventures. The graphics, the music, the varied gameplay, the locales… I find it to be a complete package and really enjoyable.
      I owned this for I bet 10 years and never once bothered to invest time with this, one to recollect I think but actually play this time
      Only ever played the snes version..

Comment

Starfox Adventures is NOT like Starfox/wing, just be aware of that before you go in expecting it. The game you would want in that case is Starfox Assault, which isn't bad but people tend to get "it's not like the other games!" syndrome about it.

My GC recommendation is Gotcha Force from CAPCOM. It's a fun little action battler/collect'em-up with toy robots.

Comment

Sadly gotcha force comes with a hefty price tag both USA and Jpn but USA one been harsher. Custom robo is a bit cheaper and kind of similar but both are worth getting if you can tolerate the cost. GameCube is one of my eternal collection ones that I’ll never sell no matter what. The GameCube library isn’t vast and full of totally unknown gems like ps1 but there’s so many greats in it.

My picks would be

Chibi robo
          Resi 1 remake
          Viewtiful joe 1&2
          Donkey kong jungle beat
          Donkey konga 3
          Zelda 4 swords adventure

There’s more but some depend on if you can tolerate heavy Japanese as giftpia is my fave RPG on system.
          Last edited by importaku; 07-06-2021, 15:33.

Comment

How has no-one mentioned F-Zero GX yet?

Comment

Good point on F-Zero GX, probably a bit expensive though.

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              Sadly gotcha force comes with a hefty price tag both USA and Jpn but USA one been harsher. Custom robo is a bit cheaper and kind of similar but both are worth getting if you can tolerate the cost. GameCube is one of my eternal collection ones that I’ll never sell no matter what. The GameCube library isn’t vast and full of totally unknown gems like ps1 but there’s so many greats in it.
              Custom Robo is very different, and Gotcha Force is superior in my opinion. Plus Gotcha Force had a UK release.

Okay, I just had a look on Amazon UK. Bloody hell.

Reminds me I should put my DDR with Mario for sale sometime.

Comment

Skies of Arcadia Legends and the two Baten Kaitos for some good old JRPGs.
                P.N. 03 is a bit bland and short-lived, but still fun.
                X-Wing Rogue Leader if you like Star Wars.
                Fire Emblem on GC is decent but there are no mid-battle saves and missions can go on for an hour at a time, so better have some spare time.
                Four Swords Adventure is cool if you manage to get friends and everything else required.

Comment

Wario Ware is the single greatest four-player party game ever. This game used to have a room of us brought to tears, so funny it was.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                    P.N. 03 is a bit bland and short-lived, but still fun.
                    I found it thrilling - the audio cues made it a joy to play, avoiding laser death my half a second because you knew it was coming as you slide away gracefully.
                    Also it wasn't too long so it's a game I've actually finished a few times. (Plus other reasons for finishing it a few times )

Comment

I would push Rebel Strike over Rogue Leader, as the entire Rogue Leader game is on there too - with a 2 player mode.

Comment

IIRC the Rogue Leader part, being 2 player splitscreen, has a lower framerate, but maybe my memory eludes me.

Comment

I would not be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                            I would push Rebel Strike over Rogue Leader, as the entire Rogue Leader game is on there too - with a 2 player mode.
                            Don’t you have to finish the inferior Rebel Strike to unlock the superior Rogue Leader though? In which case I’d save myself the hassle and just buy Rogue Leader in the first place.

Comment

Donkey Konga is a severely underrated rhythm game series (two in the west, three in Japan), and last time I checked the bongos etc. were pretty cheap on eBay. If you're giving them a try, you might as well give DK Jungle Beat (2D platformer) a go as well - it's not as refined as the more recent DKC Returns/ Tropical Freeze but for sheer novelty it's a great time.

Other titles I can strongly recommend are
                              1) SoulCalibur II - excellent weapons-based fighting game, and the GC version definitely did the best out of exclusive characters
                              2) Pac Man Vs. - shallow but a great time for local co-op, if you have a GBA and GC-GBA link cable. It only came as a bonus disc with R:Racing Evolution (PAL regions) and the Player's Choice version of Pac Man World 2 (NTSC-U) so it doesn't turn up on eBay that often, though it's not very expensive when it does
                              3) If imports are OK, I think Kururin Squash is one of the most fun action-puzzlers I've ever played, and even though it's a Japan-only release it's usually pretty readily available (probably because of its reputation for being so import-friendly - the only text is in the story cutscenes and it can be entirely ignored without any loss of the experience)

Sadly most other first-party stuff has really shot up in price. As great as Chibi-Robo, Kirby Air Ride, Paper Mario TTYD, Zelda Four Swords etc. are, it's hard to recommend them at their current market rate.

Comment

Working...
                              X