Recommend shmups for PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend shmups for PS4

The ps store isn't the best for searching this genre on ps5. Thought I'd ask you guys. Give me all your PS4 shmip recommendations please.

I have Caladrius Blaze which is great.

Oh there's some Darius love coming. 4 player co-op Dariusburst EX+ and G Darius HD (G Darius I saw as a stand alone on PS store via PS5 - can't find info on it anywhere else)

Last edited by hudson; 09-06-2021, 08:06.

Comment

Battle Garegga Rev. 2016, Esp.Ra.De (basically everything in the M2 ShotTriggers series), the remake of Assault Suit Leynos, Cotton Reboot, and soon Rolling Gunner Overpower.

Comment

Darius is always so bleedin' expensive.

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours is currently on sale for £19.99 instead of £49.99, but that still a bit of a yikes price.

Cozmic Collection is still £34.99, which seems obscene for a handful of games from 1986!

I was going to list a load of shmups, but realised I don't have any!

I'd love an HD version of Gradius V, but the closest thing (apart from the Arcade Archives versions of the original games) is Super Hydorah:

I tell you what, I bloody LOVED Sky Force Reloaded.

Tricky, but not impossible (I'm not a bullet hell fan), with multiple run throughs as you power up and try to get all the bonuses:

Also, don't forget the Capcom Arcade Stadium packs, with 1943 included free.
        Shmups in bold, but you could class Commando and Mercs as shmups, I guess.

Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 1: Dawn of the Arcade (’84 – ’88)
        VULGUS
        PIRATE SHIP HIGEMARU
        COMMANDO
        SECTION Z
        Tatakai no Banka
        LEGENDARY WINGS
        BIONIC COMMANDO
        FORGOTTEN WORLDS
        Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 2:Arcade Revolution (’89 – ’92)
        STRIDER
        DYNASTY WARS
        FINAL FIGHT
        1941 - Counter Attack -
        Senjo no OkamiⅡ
        MEGA TWINS
        CARRIER AIR WING
        STREET FIGHTER II - The World Warrior -
        CAPTAIN COMMANDO
        VARTH - Operation Thunderstorm -

Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 3:Arcade Evolution (’92 – ’01)
        WARRIORS OF FATE
        STREET FIGHTER II' - Hyper Fighting -
        SUPER STREET FIGHTER II TURBO
        Powered Gear - Strategic Variant Armor Equipment -
        CYBERBOTS - FULLMETAL MADNESS -
        19XX - The War Against Destiny -
        Battle Circuit
        Giga Wing
        1944 - The Loop Master -
        Progear

Comment

yeah Dariusburst CS has finally dropped in price! But there's a new update around the corner with 4 player coop.

Comment

If you like Caladrius, Raiden V is from the same studio and is likely v cheap? Others coming to mind that I don't see mentioned: Ikaruga, R-Type Dimensions / Final 2, Jamestown, Shikhondo, Astebreed, Ghost Blade, Fast Striker.

Bigger question is probably now where to start. Personally I really rate that third Capcom Arcade Stadium pack, not just for the shooters (but also clearly for the shooters), and the M2 Ketsui port (will need a US/JP account for digital, or a JP disc).

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
              Personally I really rate that third Capcom Arcade Stadium pack, not just for the shooters (but also clearly for the shooters).
              Slightly O/T, but you went all in on these, didn't you, Fuse?
              You pleased and given it a good hammering, or did you just dip into a couple of titles then forgot about it?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                yeah Dariusburst CS has finally dropped in price! But there's a new update around the corner with 4 player coop.
                Looks live now.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Slightly O/T, but you went all in on these, didn't you, Fuse?
                  You pleased and given it a good hammering, or did you just dip into a couple of titles then forgot about it?
                  I did! I have dipped back in a few times but no denying the latter statement fits better here, but that's more of a reflection on me and my current play habits than it is of the collection. I've seen some technical nitpicking of both the Switch and PS4 versions, but for casual play and in terms of value I think that one pack in particular is fabulous.

Comment

They all sound great. 2 > 3 > 1 for me, but I'll keep an eye out if they hit a sale.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                      Looks live now.
                      Which is live? The newer co-op game or the older game?

Comment

PSN lists 4p coop.

Comment

What region? I only see 'Announced' on UK store for Dariusburst AC EX+

Comment

I think I may be in the minority but I really like R-Type Final 2. Maybe give the demo a go.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                              What region? I only see 'Announced' on UK store for Dariusburst AC EX+
                              Sorry, I was looking at Dariusburst Chronicle Saviour.

Comment

Working...
                              X