No announcement yet.

Euro 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My god that England v. Scotland match yesterday was a lousy watch.

Well done the Scots for not letting in a goal and not scoring themselves. The latter very much appreciated.

WTF was wrong with the England team - Ian Wright had a real go in the post match autopsy and he was right on every point. Mostly lethagic, nobody moving into or creating space, some players just ball watching, unimaginative, slow tippy-tappy build up with more backward passes than forward ones, HK well off the pace but getting no real service in the 18 yard box at all so it didn't really matter. The Grealish substition for Foden - bizarre, barely any crosses, worst set of corner kicks ever. Best England chance came via Pickford's quick thinking perfect route one clearance.

Ruined my Friday and I was in a good mood beforehand because just a few hours earlier I'd been looking at the Wembley arch 4 miles away anticipating the game whilst walking to do my weekly main shop. That was even though soaked to the skin in the process which ended up being a far less unpleasant experience than watching what transpired.

I'm sure England will get through to the knockout round but, if they play like that again, that will be it.

Comment

An uninspiring performance indeed. Agreed about Kane, he wasn't looking at his best but as you said the service to him was virtually non-existent so it's very hard to judge. I'm not a fan of Southgate as a coach, too cautious and lacking in imagination. Once we come up against a top side it's very difficult to see us beating them.

Some decent matches today though; Hungary vs France, Portugal vs Germany and Spain vs Poland should hopefully provide some of the entertainment that was missing yesterday.

----------

Yup, today was definitely a tad more entertaining than yesterday!

Hungary vs France was a very good watch and a great point for Hungary. Germany vs Portugal was excellent, just a shame that Renato Sanchez's shot near the end for Portugal didn't go in, to make it a real grand stand finish.

Also means that the underdogs Hungary are still in with a chance of going through, Portugal could still possibly drop to fourth place if Hungary beat Germany and they lose to France.

Spain vs Poland was a good match too, and again good to see one of the less fancied teams coming away with a point.

Looking forward to Italy vs Wales tomorrow.
      Last edited by EJG1980; 19-06-2021, 22:51.

Comment

Enjoyable match between Italy and Wales. Italy look really strong, dominated the match again despite making eight changes to the team and giving a lot of "reserves" a run out. They've looked the most consistent of all the big teams in the group stages so, thirty matches unbeaten, they're going to be very tough to beat. I wish I'd put a tenner on them before the tournament kicked off!

Credit to Wales though for keeping it down to 1-0, especially after they went down to ten men (although I think Italy eased off a little bit after that). They hold on to second in the group and it looks like they should have a winnable last-sixteen match; should end up playing Russia, Finland or Denmark, unless Belgium switch off for the final game and surprisingly don't top the group.

Mandatory mention of Rodon being excellent again, a big part of making sure it stayed at only 1-0.

Comment

I'm loving the way that Mancini has modernised the Italy team. I've literally never seen an Italian National side break at pace and in numbers like this before, and I like it! And they still have the classic Italian traits of solid defending and organisation.

Not saying they'll win Euro 2020 - I think they'll be a bigger threat at the World Cup if they carry on improving - but they will definitely give the top teams something to think about.

Comment

After what happened with Christian Eriksen, it was great to see Denmark make it through to the last 16 tonight. Some fantastic goals in the match and a great atmosphere. It means England are in the last 16 too, we’ll definitely be one of the best third place teams even if every result goes against us.

Comment

Belgium and Germany look as though they are coming good as Euro 2020 progresses. Denmark could be the dark horses of the competition perhaps capable of doing an Iceland-like run if they get the 'right' opponents in the knockout stages.

Now after watching most of the North Macedonia versus the Netherlands game yesterday the Dutch can be added to the list of teams England should very much hope to avoid along with France and Italy in particular, the latter probably the best bet for winning the competition,

It sticks in the throat saying this but a draw tonight for England would be preferable to actually winning the group. If we win we would be playing the second place team from group F: Germany, France, Portugal, Hungary. If we remain in second place we'd get the group E second place team: either Spain, Slovakia, Sweden or Poland.

I know which set of opponent possibilities I'd prefer.
              Last edited by fallenangle; 23-06-2021, 11:56. Reason: typo

Comment

Southgate must give the worst half time team talks in the history of the world. Three games so far, three horrendous second half performances. He must lace their tea with spice.

Comment

Yes, another awful second half after an encouragingly good or at least better first half.

Did Harry Kane have even one shot on target? If Spurs are going to sell him his value must have dropped by about £25m since the tournament started so playing him in this form is doing neither him, Spurs or England any favours.

In the second half were there any crosses from open play from the right wing at all? Kyle Walker is or was good at that wing back role but he seems to have had his wings clipped and told to concentrate on defending.

Croatia did for the Scots; a pity but not unexpected.

Comment

Kane had a great chance in the first half, but the keeper made a great save. He looks leggy. I can’t see his value dropping - he was the goals and assists leader in the PL last season, but he does look knackered. A whole season of Mourinho football must be exhausting to play.

England just don’t suit his strengths. He is being utilised like Shearer was at the end of his stint. A person to drop deep or chase scraps on the wings. Or simply get marked out of the game because your midfield are too scared of attacking space and moving decisively.

Apart from moments in the first half where Grealish and Saka actually ran at players, it was another exhibition of tedious possession play that goes absolutely nowhere. The lack of movement into space is vile to the eyes. We must be the only team in the competition whose subs look as knackered and disinterested as the rest of the team. They don’t so much as ‘freshen things up’, rather, they add to the malaise.

Possession play only works if you have runners, dummy runners, and interchangeable positions. Otherwise you just get hit on the break with quick counter attacks. It’s no fluke that the Czechs looked more dangerous surging forward. Southgate’s version of tika taka has come ten years too late. The Germans have exposed it at national and club level over the last decade. England’s version is a tedious clone, with none of the key features that made it decisive in the late 2000s/early 2010s. Ours is toothless and laboured. How many times was 80 yards of possession surrendered within two passes? Walker slamming it back to Pickford when there’s often no need. The Czechs grew aware of this and played with a high press, so that our defence looked increasingly vulnerable tapping it around at the back. When Pickford is forced to launch it via a panicked clearance anyway, what was the point in retaining possession? England’s mindset isn’t adventurous enough for any such strategy to work, and their technical ability isn’t strong enough to paper over the cracks against better opponents. One mistake. That’s all it takes.

Walker was bloody hopeless at utilising Saka, almost afraid to play it forward directly. Play without fear occasionally for God’s sake! The midfield and wingbacks were so feeble and conservative in the second half that our centre halves felt forced to try and make things happen by rampaging through the midfield. Not good enough. Yet Stones and Maguire looked more threatening than any of our midfielders and forwards. Again, not good enough. Our set pieces were horrendous all game and provided no threat at all.

Football is a simple game, really. Pass and move. Pass and move. Pass into space. If you have speed in your team, use it. If you have a big centre forward, use him. Use the wings. Cross the ball. Use the inside channels by creating dummy runs and allow your forward players to be interchangeable. That’ll be a nightmare to mark. Encourage some creativity. Do not receive the ball, slow things to a crawl, pass sideways and backwards 90% of the time, and only pass to feet.
                    Last edited by prinnysquad; 23-06-2021, 05:53.

Comment

Couldn't agree more with all of that.

The number of back-passes and slow switch across the pitch from wing to wing, giving the opposition plenty of time to re-organise is now becoming a bad joke. But, as you say, nobody is running into or creating the space for the forward movement of the ball.

There were occasions when England players suddenly realised that if they actually moved fast with the ball they could cut through at least the first line of the Czech defence. But those instances were few and far between, coming to nothing anyway.

After winning we now get the chance to be embarrassed at Wembley, likely, by one of the best teams in the competition. Perhaps we'll come good, hope so but I certainly won't be counting on it.
                      Last edited by fallenangle; 23-06-2021, 16:13. Reason: typo

Comment

No need for me to add anything else, agree with all the above about England's performance. The highlights from the Scotland Croatia game looked good, should have watched that instead, lovely goal from Modric.

Tough to decide which matches to watch today. I'll probably go with Slovakia vs Spain at 5PM and... err... Germany vs Hungary at 8PM. France vs Portugal is the bigger match on paper, but I reckon Germany vs Hungary might be the more exciting match.

So, basically, if you want to see any goals tonight, watch the matches I didn't choose

----------

Actually timed it quite well with those matches: switched off the Spain game once it got to 3-0, turned over to the Sweden game and saw it go from 1-0 to 3-2. A great almost comeback by Poland, it was a bit of a shame they couldn't have been the ones to get the winning goal. And on the Spain game, magnificent comedy own goal by Dubravka to open the scoring!
                        Last edited by EJG1980; 23-06-2021, 17:59.

Comment

I'm not even finished cursing those ruddy Germans, then...wow. What an end to this group. Still time for more twists!

Edit 1 Back to cursing. Gahh.

Edit 2 Should have kept my mouth shut. Second half of the second halves
                          Last edited by wheelaa; 23-06-2021, 20:57.

Comment

Ended up getting outvoted and we watched France vs Portugal, so I had to have Germany vs Hungary on the iPad at the same time

Really great end to the group, loads of twists and turns; England were playing all four of those teams at one point or another but in the end it’s England vs Germany in the next round. Such a shame Hungary didn’t hold on against Germany, it was a great effort by them.

Comment

I was swapping between the two matches yesterday for the first 15 minutes or so and then I decided to stick with the Germany v. Hungary game only to be told a minute later that Portugal had just scored. But I stayed with the Hungary game any boy was that the right decision.

They played so well - an almost perfect Germany frustrating strategy: defend hard but then hit hard with a fast counter attack. The only reason it did not work was that one, inexplicable, mistake by the Hungarian goalkeeper. What was he thinking? It lost them a win and with it a deserved place in the knockout stages.

Just hope Southgate takes on-board the lessons he should do. We'd be wrong to copy the Hungarian strategy in full because the result would probably be the same. But that German vulnerability to a fast, high energy, skillful counter attacks was obvious. The emphasis being on fast and high energy not slow, methodical and predictable.

Comment

Great performance by Denmark. For the first ten minutes it looked like Wales were going to have a good game, but once Denmark got going they were well on top for the entire rest of the match. It's a shame Wales are out but I'm glad Denmark are though, want them to get as far as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X