Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins

Coming to both gens next year from SquareEnix and Team Ninja comes a spin-off of Final Fantasy that doesn't seem to be a spin-off in any meaningful way. It's an action title and a demo is out now on PS5

Comment

Well Se patched it and it's working and quite a sizable chunk to play!

And the trailer made it seem alot worse than it actually plays, graphics and performance aside, it is just FF7r retuned to a more Nioh experience than anything to do with dark souls. You get 2 quick change jobs(of 6 in the demo), 3 bars, unique move, chaos move, changeable MP attacks, super mode and the enemies HP and stagger bars watch over,

HP, seems you can only heal with potions which are restocked at the not-bonfire or occasionally found in chests.
      MP, it's the Stamina bar which governs what MP moves you unleash and is only refilled by the chaos finisher or trait upgrades for certain jobs
      Chaos shield, the games parry which works on a self recharging bar, causes the enemy to be pushed back, causing some stagger and can be followed up with a rushing standard attack. If the Chaos Shield is used on 'purple' named moves you can absorb it into your arsenal as a unique move with no MP cost but instead a limited number of uses, it's kind of like being mini Blue Mage.

Enemies all have weakness to certain weapons or magic so changing it is required as they can be quick to eat your HP Bar up if you don't as won't flinch as they swing or cast through your attacks. Not a fan of how the game changes black magic in battle as it takes over your movement controls, should just be the left and right on the d-pad. The super mode which for the swordmans/warrior is lightbringer is definitely required when taking on a large group of 6-8 mobs, didn't get to try out the Lancer/Dragoon version and it seems Mage/Black Mage doesn't get one.

Menus are all very basic and cluttered, the 'basic system' screen is your equipment menu (equipment is dropped off mobs and in chests), where you can also change which 2 of the 6 jobs you'll be using at anyone time, as well as setting MP special moves to places in the standard combo. The 'Job' screen is the level up tree, you'll find stat upgrades, new MP moves, passive traits and advanced job unlocks.
      Last edited by Tobal; 15-06-2021, 16:38.

Comment

Just watched the DF analysis of this. Man something went wrong. It looks kind of fun, but technically it's all over the place.
        I have a feeling this game was retrieved from the bin were it's been since 2008 and polished up.

Comment

I was pretty interested in this when I heard about it, but I’ve not heard anyone say anything good about it since release. Anyone here got it?

Comment

Waiting for a sale personally. I've seen the odd person talk about enjoying it here and there, usually people that like odd/niche/jank types of games.

It'll probably end up gaining a cult following eventually.

Comment

I'm working my way through the missions of this game about one a day currently, and also doing optional ones to keep my level up.

Gameplay wise I think it is great. The gameplay feels like a blend of Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Ninja Gaiden. Enemies have a Break Gauge which when depleted allows you to hit Circle for an instant kill finishing move, so in that sense it kinda reminds me of the Stagger Gauge in 7 Remake. Throwing a flurry of hits toward an enemy and then turning them to crystal is really damn satisfying and can be done between enemies in quick succession.

Story wise... It is barebones. The party are the supposed Warriors of Light and each mission end so far has been remarks about the lack of chaos and crystals once the mission boss is defeated.

Either way, I highly recommend downloading the Trial if you are curious about this game. It very generously gives you about 3 missions to work through (probably around 3 hours) which will give you a pretty good feel for the gameplay and will probably give you an even better idea of if you want to actually buy the game. Seems as if the Trial ends on the 19th of April so worth checking sooner rather than later.

Should also mention I am playing on a PS4 Pro in resolution mode and I think performance is absolutely okay. Visuals seem a decent step up on a PS5 though!
              Last edited by speedlolita; 09-04-2022, 08:35.

Comment

It's in my wishlist. I'll wait until its on sale and get it. Like I said, it looks pretty fun.

Comment

*cough* start a FP thread *cough*

Haven't played it but do intend to at some point. Despite lots of fun being poked at it I've every confidence it can still be plenty enjoyable. It felt like a likely candidate for a price cut in the near future though, so I'm with Cepp in holding out. From what I understood a lot of the performance issues are down to some specific examples of bad model optimisation. Here you go -

Regarding the ridiculous cut scenes though - I AM HERE TO KILL CHAOS, walking off and playing Limp Bizkit, and so on - I saw someone describe it as "Kingdom Hearts but where there's only 1 world and it's themed on Fast and the Furious"

Comment

Bull****!
                    *Starts blasting nu-metal*

Comment

I'm on PS5. The game recieved a patch yesterday that improved things a whole bunch. Lighting is changed in some areas and the game runs better and looks cleaner, might of got a resolution bump too? Fonts look nicer to read. Some QoL things added too like auto dismantling equipment after each mission (you can set up your own parameters for this) and the usual bug fixes and balance changes. You can't punch enemies out of your own combos anymore and they made it harder to cheese the game in terms of breaking really high level enemies compared to you.

Comment

Finally finished this off last night.

Given that I muddled my way through it without properly understanding all the systems I think I gave myself a more difficult time than I should have had, even on "Action". I don't think the optimise gear option takes job affinity into consideration and favours item level. And then I accidentally set the auto dismantle option to dismantle any gear 1 level lower than whatever metric it uses to judge that, so I lost all my non currently equipped gear in the post game... Those quirks aside I've been hitting an anima shard grinding spot for a few hours and think I'll focus on that until all my jobs are level 30 and proceed from there. Does appear to have a bit of post game after the story and I think I'll get stuck in there. Can only imagine how difficult this game is on the unlocked Chaos difficulty.

Comment

Working...
                        X