Guardians of the Galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guardians of the Galaxy

SquareEnix's second pass at a Marvel license comes from the studio behind Shadow of the Tomb Raider and hits both gens on 26 October. It's a purely single player title with no microtransactions and no DLC where you play as Star-Lord and can issue commands to the rest of the crew in an action adventure.

Woeful.

It looks like it was a 4 player co-op game, then Avengers bombed, so they ripped that out and made it single player.

Comment

garbage of the galaxy, those character models are rank.

Comment

This looked god awful. It definitely didn't need 20 minutes of show time.

Comment

I thought it looked quite good, knockabout fun that captured the goofy humour well. I couldn't care less about them not having the exact face-models of the movie stars - looked closer to what I've seen of the comics.

EDIT: had a longer look at the gameplay reels and I do have to admit it wasn't thrilling. When I saw the multiple 'sliding down slope' sections I was put unpleasantly in mind of that Jedi game.
          Last edited by Golgo; 14-06-2021, 11:28.

Comment

The first trailer put me off but the gameplay trailer piqued my interested despite being too long. Not having the actors faces will hurt it sales wise. I think it's single player as well, its not a GAAS title?

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
              The first trailer put me off but the gameplay trailer piqued my interested despite being too long. Not having the actors faces will hurt it sales wise. I think it's single player as well, its not a GAAS title?
              Apparently so: SP with squad-based commands. Looks like they've been burned on backlash against the last Marvels game.

Comment

Well, SE's Avengers suggested that the true value of Marvel these days lies specifically in the MCU & Spider-man, not Marvel in a wider sense.

This game might just prove that.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                  Apparently so: SP with squad-based commands. Looks like they've been burned on backlash against the last Marvels game.
                  Yeah that's my impression too. Im down for a game like that assuming it all comes together.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    Well, SE's Avengers suggested that the true value of Marvel these days lies specifically in the MCU & Spider-man, not Marvel in a wider sense.

This game might just prove that.
                    Perhaps. Or perhaps it was down to implementation. Avengers was/is a disgraceful microtransactional swamp with separate DLC and unlock paths for individual heroes, tied to a grindy and uninteresting game (so I understand). Spiderman, on the other hand, was a complete game and an enjoyable one.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                      Spiderman, on the other hand, was a complete game and an enjoyable one.
                      Sorry, I was unclear.

I think, in the marketplace for the enormous mainstream AAA success that The Avengers game needed, it has to really fire on all cylinders.

Spider-Man is polymorphic; the last few decades especially have shown that audiences will tolerate the character being like James Bond, i.e. different actors, different takes, different universes. The rest of the Mavel universe has not proven this (that's one of the reasons why Sony clutch onto the SM franchise and will not let go; they appreciate this).

I think Square-Enix made their mistake when they put a ton of money into an enormously expensive Avengers game when it wasn't built on the MCU, because they mistakenly believed that the value was in Iron Man, when the value is really in Robert Downey Jr. As Iron Man.

The other aspect of the Avengers game's problems are more technical; the game was in its critical mid-production-phase right when EA kicked off the lootbox fiasco, and the game almost certainly had to ridirect mid-flight, which is always a problem.

If this game is good, but ultimately fails to perform, it'll suggest that Guardians of the Galaxy isn't actually worth top billing; it's only worth it when it's that specific MCU interpretation of the franchise.

Comment

It's depressing that "no microtransactions and no DLC" is the most attractive elements of the game so far.

Comment

It could have been really good. Its not a million miles away. But why has it got the Avongers versions of the characters and bullet sponge enemies. It just looks like an Avengers spin off, which isn't good.

Comment

The big problem this game has, just like with Avengers game (which has many problems) is that these games probably would have been fine asthetically if they had been released in a pre MCU world, obviously not possbile but you know what i mean. I know they have stated that they are using artistic license and wanted there own interpretations of all these charahcters but then they should probably not have made them look so similar to the MCU verions, its like its the MCU but not. There is just no getting away from the fact the character designs looks bloody awful, in fairness Rocket and Groot are ok and Starlord is fine until he takes the mask off. I mean WTF is Drax supposed to be, all i keep seeing is some kind of Kratos knockoff for Christ sake, and Gamora, my god.
                            Last edited by gambit6613; 14-06-2021, 12:09.

Comment

It's like Avongers. They want to evoke the films for the commercial pull but where they can't have pulled looks taken from the comic incarnations so have landed somewhere in the middle. Instead they should have had a clear artistic vision of their own.

Comment

Working...
                              X