User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgo View Post
    Spiderman, on the other hand, was a complete game and an enjoyable one.
    Sorry, I was unclear.

I think, in the marketplace for the enormous mainstream AAA success that The Avengers game needed, it has to really fire on all cylinders.

Spider-Man is polymorphic; the last few decades especially have shown that audiences will tolerate the character being like James Bond, i.e. different actors, different takes, different universes. The rest of the Mavel universe has not proven this (that's one of the reasons why Sony clutch onto the SM franchise and will not let go; they appreciate this).

I think Square-Enix made their mistake when they put a ton of money into an enormously expensive Avengers game when it wasn't built on the MCU, because they mistakenly believed that the value was in Iron Man, when the value is really in Robert Downey Jr. As Iron Man.

The other aspect of the Avengers game's problems are more technical; the game was in its critical mid-production-phase right when EA kicked off the lootbox fiasco, and the game almost certainly had to ridirect mid-flight, which is always a problem.

If this game is good, but ultimately fails to perform, it'll suggest that Guardians of the Galaxy isn't actually worth top billing; it's only worth it when it's that specific MCU interpretation of the franchise.

It's depressing that "no microtransactions and no DLC" is the most attractive elements of the game so far.

It could have been really good. Its not a million miles away. But why has it got the Avongers versions of the characters and bullet sponge enemies. It just looks like an Avengers spin off, which isn't good.

The big problem this game has, just like with Avengers game (which has many problems) is that these games probably would have been fine asthetically if they had been released in a pre MCU world, obviously not possbile but you know what i mean. I know they have stated that they are using artistic license and wanted there own interpretations of all these charahcters but then they should probably not have made them look so similar to the MCU verions, its like its the MCU but not. There is just no getting away from the fact the character designs looks bloody awful, in fairness Rocket and Groot are ok and Starlord is fine until he takes the mask off. I mean WTF is Drax supposed to be, all i keep seeing is some kind of Kratos knockoff for Christ sake, and Gamora, my god.
    Last edited by gambit6613; 14-06-2021 at 12:09 PM.

It's like Avongers. They want to evoke the films for the commercial pull but where they can't have pulled looks taken from the comic incarnations so have landed somewhere in the middle. Instead they should have had a clear artistic vision of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    It's like Avongers. They want to evoke the films for the commercial pull but where they can't have pulled looks taken from the comic incarnations so have landed somewhere in the middle. Instead they should have had a clear artistic vision of their own.
    Yep. That's pretty much exactly the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    I think that's it. It's just bland and by the numbers.
    They could have gone to the comics and taken the look and art style of one of the big selling GotG comics. A Cel-Shaded game with lots of colours maybe. A big dollop of unapologetic style.
    This looks soulless.

Yep, when I picture a non-MCU GOTG game in my head I immediately picture a bold cel-shaded game with a ton of particle effects etc. Something that really riffs on the bold coloured galactic worlds setting and 80's theme play. If they don't want to be bold they should just have the MCU branding.

To be fair to them they have taken the comic book characters its not really their fault that we associate the jacket and mask that starlord has but he has blond hair and simlar facial features to the current mainline comic starlord, Avongers it isnt.

Gamora dosent have any links to movie gamora the white outfit and black markings on her face and around her eyes is pure comicbook and bears no resemblance to movie gamroa bar the green skin. likewise goot looks quite slim in the movies and is more bulked out like the comic book, as is Drax. Dont get me wrong the game looks crap but i think its unfair to say their piggybacking off the films when we get a blonde Starlord and a Gamora thats unrecognizable from her movie version.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    I think that's it. It's just bland and by the numbers.
    They could have gone to the comics and taken the look and art style of one of the big selling GotG comics. A Cel-Shaded game with lots of colours maybe. A big dollop of unapologetic style.
    This looks soulless.
    yeah but that couldn't have started life as an expansion for an unsuccessful parent game and been split off into its own thing now could it