PS2-to-HDMI and Wii2HDMI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2-to-HDMI and Wii2HDMI

I think, like most of us, since moving to an HDTV, I'd had issues with what to do about my SD consoles.

I'm not committed enough to want a big CRT in the house, so I've always wanted a solution which uses my main TV, and up until now, I've ran my Wii and PS2 via composite, via each console's "progressive scan" mode. I've been quite fortunate in that while the picture isn't amazing, my TV's upscaler doesn't garble it (I've seen some diabolical ones).

However, this has always had some issues. Firstly, the cable I need to use for the TV is this weird frankenstinian thing that hangs off the TV (not the biggest issue) and, in the last year, my TV has started to show signs it's going to bite the big one (it's nearly 10 years old), and there's no guarantee whatever I get to replace it will work quite as well.

Obviously there are expensive setups used by many people on this forum, and I will probably use one of those some day. But in the short term, I wanted to try out some cheap alternatives to streamline things.

I decided to try these, as I've seen them all over in recent years:

They took about 4 weeks to arrive (being AliExpress) but were inexpensive, and, honestly I'm quite impressed.

Both of them give my Wii and PS2 a very clean picture. Actually the PS2 can be a bit too sharp in places, exposing some of the pixelly edges to things like text, but in-game it looks pretty good. The PS2 one needs USB power, but you can use the USB ports on the front of the PS2 that rarely get used for anything.

I have a slight problem with the Wii one, in that it buzzes when there's a lot of white onscreen. I think I might just have a defective unit, so I'm going to order another given how inexpensive they are (I can't see a widespread reference to this problem online).

I was going to post pictures, but honestly, they're quite underwhelming. In this case though that's a good thing. They just look fine. Not certain about lag but I can definitely say there isn't a strong case of added latency.

So I suppose I'd say if you wanted to replace your SD cables with something that gave a baseline decent picture for these consoles, I recommend these. They're obviously no substitute for a proper setup but they're cheap and they work.

My Wii one did that too, I think that's the price you pay. I bought an official Wii Component Cable instead, maybe an option for your TV?

Comment

I used a device like these for Dreamcast to HDMI years ago before any commercial product existed. It was VGA to HDMI. The results were pretty cool for a cheap solution. Not perfect but a big step up from standard analogue video on a bit flatpannel.

Comment

Originally posted by paulus View Post
        My Wii one did that too, I think that's the price you pay. I bought an official Wii Component Cable instead, maybe an option for your TV?
        Maybe it's a PAL thing? I don't see much reference to it online.

Comment

I'm using one atm for Xbox-HMDI

Researching it the quality in terms of minor distortions or washed out colours etc seem to be all over the place and I saw recommendations to avoid ones that claim they upscale. Paid a lot more mind but it's been cracking.

Comment

Thanks for this post. It reminded me that I have a Kaico PS2 to HDMI and I might give that a try again. I switched my PS2 over to my OSSC and the picture is fine but since some PS2 games switch resolution like crazy between gameplay, menus and cutscenes, my TV keeps switching to a black screen then showing a grey bar at the top with the new resolution it has switched to. Very annoying. Hopefully this will work better.

Comment

I have a PS2 and Wii hooked up to small 19” LCD TVs.
              Originally both were connected via composite.
              For the PS2, I upgraded with a HORI component cable.
              For the Wii I upgraded with the Wii2HD. Weeks later I eventually replaced that with a Logic3 component cable which I saw at a good price (struggled to tell the difference between the two on such a small set).
              Still, even on a small TV, the upgrade was very noticeable.

Comment

Had a check and my Xbox HDMI adaptor is made by Kaico

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                  some PS2 games switch resolution like crazy between gameplay, menus and cutscenes,
                  Honestly, the PS2 is an absolute bitch when it comes to trying to get a good picture out of it. I mean it was bad at this even when contemporary, looking awful when compared to, for example, the Dreamcast, but it's even worse today.

Even with my solution, many of the games display in a box window, and my TV doesn't have the fidelity of settings to stretch them to full-frame.

Comment

Nearly everything is 480i on a ps2 - for the Wii it’s the opposite, everything is mainly 480p and doesn’t look too bad on an lcd. 480i is a different story though.

In all honesty a crt is your best bet. The ps2 looks really good on a lowish TVL pvm (the sizes are usually up to 20”, so a fair bit smaller than most consumer sets). The best I have seen the ps2 look, it is on a shadow mask jvc pro crt like this

The Wii really shines (as does the dreamcast and original Xbox) through a pc crt monitor

It really depends how good you want your games to look.

Comment

Yeah, via RGB my PlayStation 2 looks excellent. Image sharpness and colour.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        Honestly, the PS2 is an absolute bitch when it comes to trying to get a good picture out of it. I mean it was bad at this even when contemporary, looking awful when compared to, for example, the Dreamcast, but it's even worse today.

Even with my solution, many of the games display in a box window, and my TV doesn't have the fidelity of settings to stretch them to full-frame.
                        I don't fully agree with that, I think it looks great with an RGB cable on a CRT and resolution switches are no issue at all then. Even as a massive DC fanboy I always really liked PS2 graphics.

480i is always an issue on modern screens and you ideally need to spend a little money for a good solution.

The RetroTink 5x looks fantastic with great deinterlacing, only a tiny amount of input delay, virtually no delay when resolution switching and some options to help with the overscan. It isn't cheap though, and it's difficult to get hold of right now.

There are some PS2 games in this stream which look really good.

Last edited by ZipZap; 17-06-2021, 22:35.

Comment

Working...
                        X