2004 - Gran Turismo 4
    2006 - Gran Turismo HD Concept
    2007 - Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
    2009 - Gran Turismo PSP
    2010 - Gran Turismo 5
    2013 - Gran Turismo 6
    2017 - Gran Turismo Sport

Overview:
    Yes, one of the biggest names in racing games turns 25 years old next year and we've reached the one hundred and ninety fourth entry in the thread series without tackling it. Gran Turismo is in many ways like one continuous project for Polyphony that they release a public build of every few years, such is the feel of continued evolution throughout the series. The even numbered entries often feel like each generations true title reflecting a more complete state before new tech forces a retreat back barring last gen when Sport carried the weight of the series for the most part.

What are your favourite GT memories and entries, is the series still on track?

I didn't like the first one. In going for realism and graphics they forgot to make it any fun.

Quite enjoyed the rally tracks on GT2.

Never played the PS2 games, although I've recently picked them up.

GT5 is the one I've played most. I don't really get why it's so maligned. I've really enjoyed it.

Didn't like GT6 all that much.

The PSP is about the worst of the lot. What the hell were the developers doing in those years of delays. It looks fine, but who wants to race against just three other cars? Unless you're playing RC Pro Am.

Quite like GT Sport. Maybe it's better for online play. I never do that.

Comment

I was in an Indie game shop in Sunderland and they had Gran Turismo running and that's what tipped me over the edge into getting a PS1.

So beautiful!

Comment

I never really gelled with GT1 or 2. They came out during a peak era for more arcady experiences which appealed much mroe strongly and whilst the games were very good looking at the time, that felt like their main selling point.

I only really clicked when GT3 came along. The hype was huge and I enjoyed the game more being a bit older, it's also when I started to develop my consistent theme with sim games - they're more dull the more you progress to the faster cars. Other bonus about GT3 is it still has the best intro to the series.

GT4 is an anomoly. I didn't feel in the mood for it when I bought it so stuck it on a shelf. I've still never gone through the game despite having later gone back to the original two in later years marking this out as the only mainline entry I've still yet to invest time into.

GTPSP was... a nice looker? It barely felt like a game though so got old fast.

GT5 I took a long while to get around to playing again but eventually did and enjoyed going through it, GT6 I was more proactive at and enjoyed too though by that point it was getting harder to sway in the series favour over Forza.

I've still not done Sport.

Comment

I got the Japanese version on a HK silver and was completely blown away, there hadn't really been anything like it, along with the graphics there were replays, tuning options which changed the exhaust sound and so it goes on.

If you have a PS! but never played the Japanese version I would heartily recommend it, the menu music and menu's are worth the entry fee alone.
          However there is an extra bonus, the Castrol FTO car, if I remember correctly the story goes that Mitsubishi were rumoured to be releasing a 4WD FTO and Poly inserted one into the game as a bonus car but in the end it was never produced.
          It's only in the Japanese release and it behaves like it's on rails, it might not have the top end of the GTO Twin Turbo but it's easily the best car in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathAdder View Post
            I didn't like the first one. In going for realism and graphics they forgot to make it any fun.

Quite enjoyed the rally tracks on GT2.

Never played the PS2 games, although I've recently picked them up.

GT5 is the one I've played most. I don't really get why it's so maligned. I've really enjoyed it.

Didn't like GT6 all that much.

The PSP is about the worst of the lot. What the hell were the developers doing in those years of delays. It looks fine, but who wants to race against just three other cars? Unless you're playing RC Pro Am.

Quite like GT Sport. Maybe it's better for online play. I never do that.
            PSP version has AIBO derived cars set to a Days of Thunder tribute, only worthwhile on the Nascar type test track, racing same make to minimise competitive edge. You have to race those bastards backwards, watching in the mirror fulltime and thinking 'backwards snaking' to turn corners. They learn the car models fast for advantages and study historical similarities of how they poke-volved, like a real John Connor nightmare. And then you kill your own neural net clone every time you quit? Guess I picked the wrote day to quit termanatan! Teh****.

Comment

GT1 was landmark and still my favourite game in the series. It had the best balance of gameplay, fun and content.

GT2 I liked but it just didn't run as smoothly overall but it's still great and has an amazing car list.

GT3 is stunning, probably my favourite looking game. I hated how paired back it was but actually think it works well.

GT4 is great but found it more sterile. A pattern I found since in the series.

Hopefully the series can balance a great single player game along with multi. The biggest issue I have with modern ones is the tracks. Too many real world ones, shared across all racing games. The GT fantasy tracks were sooo good.

Comment

Working...
              X