No announcement yet.

Dead Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still haven't ever played these and really ought to. A remake could be the ticket (provided it's faithful and good).

Originally posted by Dogg Thang
    Although like Bioshock, it's one of those games where I'd love to play a game in the same location when everything was nice and happy. Maybe a dating sim. Bring someone out for coffee, go for a walk and so on. The location is fantastic but we see it at its worst.

This is a good point and I also felt this about Bioshock (can't speak to Dead Space). I actually don't massively rate the original Bioshock - it was pretty cool but I felt the city was too much of a tease, since it was really a corridor shooter. I would have to loved to a) explore the city properly and b) do so when it was actually up and running and thriving.

So basically, I wanted a completely different game. But the idea of Rapture was just so cool.

Comment

A Bioshock game set in pre-catastrophe Rapture would probably be like Frogger; trying to get about while having to dodge all the oblivious folks pacing about, rambling into their dictaphones.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        This is a good point and I also felt this about Bioshock (can't speak to Dead Space). I actually don't massively rate the original Bioshock - it was pretty cool but I felt the city was too much of a tease, since it was really a corridor shooter. I would have to loved to a) explore the city properly and b) do so when it was actually up and running and thriving.
        Yep, this is it exactly. The artistry in some of these games is amazing, on a whole other level and creating entire worlds. So even when a game is good (and I think Dead Space is really good) it sometimes disappoints me a little that the best thing people think of having us do in these worlds is just killing stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Yep, this is it exactly. The artistry in some of these games is amazing, on a whole other level and creating entire worlds. So even when a game is good (and I think Dead Space is really good) it sometimes disappoints me a little that the best thing people think of having us do in these worlds is just killing stuff.
          Yeah, there are basically two types of gameplay for anything narrative-driven:

1) Mostly killing stuff
          2) Mostly selecting dialogue options

Surely there must be something else that could be done. I would love to see a game of, I dunno, corporate greasy pole climbing in a hedge fund. Part portfolio management, part screwing over rival co-workers, part dodging the SEC, part buying Rolexes and Armani suits.

Games are amazingly refined at this point. If you look at something like Ratchet & Clank, it's slick as anything, a class act. But I think part of the reason why is - and I don't mean to knock the immense skill of its creators - because it's ploughing such a well worn furrow. There must be other kinds of gameplay that we could have.

Comment

Mark me down as another that hasn't played any of these and yet I own all three via games with gold or other means.

Comment

1) Mostly killing stuff

Surely there must be something else that could be done. I would love to see a game of, I dunno, corporate greasy pole climbing in a hedge fund. Part portfolio management, part screwing over rival co-workers, part dodging the SEC, part buying Rolexes and Armani suits.

Games are amazingly refined at this point. If you look at something like Ratchet & Clank, it's slick as anything, a class act. But I think part of the reason why is - and I don't mean to knock the immense skill of its creators - because it's ploughing such a well worn furrow. There must be other kinds of gameplay that we could have.
              If only we could talk to the monsters

Only joking, I do agree. But I think Bioshock is being played short, as there's lots you can do beyond shooting - eating from bins, for example.

Comment

1) Mostly killing stuff

Been playing Divinity: Original Sin.

When you've done something bad you can try to convince someone that all is well by playing... rock paper scissors. Now, it does have the option of skipping over this but can you imagine being the developer tasked with making this "mini game"? Knowing that it's utterly worthless. Zero effort job that.

Comment

I'm another who played and loved the first two. If they do this right I'll be all over them.

Comment

Electronic Arts studio Motive has officially announced that a remake of iconic 2008 video game “Dead Space” is in development, and have released a short teaser trailer showing off the title’s new look. This isn’t a remaster, the project is being remade from the ground up and developed specifically for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S […]

In addition to the teaser trailer it's been confirmed that the remake won't be coming to last gen machines and will be a ground up remake which will expand the originals story and introduce some modern gameplay mechanics. Not sure when it's coming in order to help decide whether to replay the original or not but I hope this is the start of a proper revival and not a one shot.

Comment

my expectations set to low after what happened to Mirrors Edge 2, my guess is they'll change to be more action like than horror, so we'll be getting DE2 without the set pieces.

Comment

I've never played them but I'll definitely check them out.

As a side note this is awesome:

Comment

Comment

Cool. I'll give it a watch.

Comment

Early work looks solid

Comment

Yeah, looks like they're doing a decent job. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X