Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adventures of DIY modding import style. aka modding a taikoforce controller.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adventures of DIY modding import style. aka modding a taikoforce controller.

To save clogging up the show us your imports thread with more taikoforce pics decided to do a thread separate instead.

As people already know i got that huge taikoforce level 5 drum up upgrade my taiko no tatsujin shennanigans and while it is arcade contol perfect it cosmetically looks a little drab. Not quite like it's arcade brother, while i can't make the body of the drum & the mouldings i decided i could do something about the stand and the strap that is missing which on the arcade machine replicates the row of nails that go around a real taiko drum.

This is what i had to try and replicate, this is the arcade

The first part was the legs, they are made from MDF and it's just plain unfinished wood, this was the easiest bit as i used dark oak woodstain to totally cover them. This makes them kind of disappear and not be that noticeable.

The next part was way harder, how in the hell to replicate the strap that the arcade machine has. I searched all over the net for some strapping that i could cut a piece off and wrap around but i couldn't find anything that was either the right material or size and more importantly cheap enough as some places were selling anything remotely useable for high prices because they were selling vast rolls of the stuff where i only needed a few meters tops. In the end i figured out i could use white electrical tape as it's exactly the right width to fit the trench in the drum and it's super flexible and more importantly cheap. Now i had my tape i could have easily just wrapped it around the drum but electrical tape glue goes weird and gummy over time and if i took it off later down the line it would leave loads of extremely hard to remove glue.

I thought i could get away with sticking 2 strips of tape glue sides touching to make a non sticky strap but it was almost impossible to line up so i had a brainwave. Talcum powder, if i dust the back with talc it sticks to the glue and totally removes it's sticking power making the tape into a plain piece of pvc strap. So i cut a strip and used some of the tape to attach the band around the drum. The second problem was how to replicate the nails, the arcade machine strap just has printed black circles i thought i could just buy a pack of black dot stickers but they are paper and after a while they would probably fall off so i thought of maybe vinyl stickers but then i spotted those rubber bumpers you use on cupboard doors and under stuff to stop things slipping. I searched amazon and found a sheet of silicone bumpers in black that were the exact width.

Now with the strap on the next problem was how the hell to space them apart and keep them from not been all over the place and looking wonky and unspaced so i made kind of a jig out of cardboard the same width as the strap so i could keep them central and perfectly spaced.

About 30 mins later of careful sticking i was left with this kind of ironic that my strap actually looks better than the arcade machine as my nails look identical to what ones on a real taiko drum would look like, however the arcade wins for the rest of the drum

That's kind of it, this thread doesn't serve a purpose i was just super proud of managing to solve all the problems and max out my diy ability to make this thing look more awesome than it already is.
    Last edited by importaku; 02-07-2021, 15:44.

9/10. Minus one point for not using googly eyes, but the cardboard spacer is subarashii and the rubber door things were a great idea! They’re usually super sticky so I bet they’ll last ages. And they might even absorb vibrations to avoid shaking themselves free.

Comment

LOL now i kind of want to make a strap with googly eyes as every time you hit the drum they would wobble

Comment

Can I ask: how do the drums sound? Wife and got into Taiko at the arcades a few years ago but our local Namco is tobacco city and it really puts us off.

I was considering getting the game at home but the drums sound really loud.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
          Can I ask: how do the drums sound? Wife and got into Taiko at the arcades a few years ago but our local Namco is tobacco city and it really puts us off.

I was considering getting the game at home but the drums sound really loud.
          The taikoforce drum is a lot quieter than the hori controller, with the hori you are hitting hollow plastic so you get a louder hit sound but with the taikoforce one in the pics above its solid plywood inside and rubber so it sounds like when you hit a rubber drumming practice pad so it's more of a dull thud. Although they all do make noise to some extent you can muffle it a bit with putting a cloth over them but if you have neighbours who get annoyed with sounds you might struggle, this might give you some idea.

Taikoforce

and this is the hori controller played by the drumming master Goniha, as you can probably hear the hori drum due to it been plastic sounds way louder.
          Last edited by importaku; 02-07-2021, 14:57.

Comment

This is a great thread!

Comment

Well that was unexpected, i posted my mod on twitter and it seems the creator of the taikoforce drum saw it and decided to follow me. As a bonus i never knew he even had a twitter account so i got to delve into it and explore his posts and he has lots of neat pics about how they are made. Seems that the ones that are sold on amazon japan are via him too. Thought these pics from his account would be neat to show.

This is why they are so heavy and why they have amazing drum roll recoil as they are made from solid plywood on the front and mdf on the back plate. With 4 piezo electric disk speakers as the shock sensors, like the same kind of flat metal disk you find as beeper speakers in cheap electronic toys when they have a electronic signal pushed through them they vibrate as a speaker but in reverse they work like a microphone if you flex one they create a signal so if you glue them to the wood they work as super sensitive sensors, the hori drum in comparison uses a printed membrane.

This is his workshop they are handmade in small batches.

This i didn't need to see he somehow got hold of the spare parts of the drum barrel and the stand from an arcade machine & confirmed you can install a taikoforce with no problems at all.

To say i'm insanely jealous is an understatement this is my dream to have one like that.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                Well that was unexpected,
                Looking forward to the new thread

Comment

Working...
                X