Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My "new" 3DS LL is possessed. Please help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "new" 3DS LL is possessed. Please help!!

Right, so I hadn't played my "new" 3DS LL for a few months. On the past Saturday I played it for about 5 hours with it connected to the mains for the first time in many month. No problems.
    Saturday night I thought, "I know, I'll charge it over night so I can play sitting in the comfy chair."
    Sunday morning comes along. The battery is fully charged. I put in Star Fox 64 3D and the bloody 3DS keeps going in to sleep mode every few minutes. This was bloody annoying. F-this I thought and switched it off with a proper power shut down.
    Now the bloody thing keeps waking up even though it has been shut down. I can't switch it off for longer than 10 minutes. The only way to stop it from booting back up is to remove the battery.

What the hell is going on with it? Surely this has got to be a software issue?
    If it is any help, the system is running Ver.11.14.0-46J firmware if that is of any help.

UPDATE - Just as I was checking the firmware, the bloody thing shut its self down! No warning at all.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 05-07-2021, 11:55.

Bad battery? Loose battery connection?

Haunted like the Queen's pussy?

Comment

Probably the 3rd option.
      I don't think it is the battery because it is in sleep mode, not powered off.

Comment

Could it be something to do with the power button? Maybe loose or has some gunk stuck under it?

Comment

Originally posted by Armchair Critic View Post
          Could it be something to do with the power button? Maybe loose or has some gunk stuck under it?
          Nice suggestion but I doubt it. This unit is super clean.

Comment

My guess would be the battery is crapping out but it's not old enough yet for the lithium battery to be failing this early unless you have hammered the crap out of it with playtime (my guess would be no on that though)

Have you cleaned the contacts on the battery and the machine where the battery touches? When you say it's waking up do you mean the screens are coming on when the lid is closed? If that's happening it might be the sensor in the hinge that's faulty so the machine doesn't know when to go into sleep mode properly. If i remember it's activated with a magnet somewhere on the machine.

Probably knows you are a sega fan, they are like pokemon. If they don't trust you fully they won't respond to your commands

Comment

Not another Chinese virus!?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                My guess would be the battery is crapping out but it's not old enough yet for the lithium battery to be failing this early unless you have hammered the crap out of it with playtime (my guess would be no on that though)

Have you cleaned the contacts on the battery and the machine where the battery touches? When you say it's waking up do you mean the screens are coming on when the lid is closed? If that's happening it might be the sensor in the hinge that's faulty so the machine doesn't know when to go into sleep mode properly. If i remember it's activated with a magnet somewhere on the machine.

Probably knows you are a sega fan, they are like pokemon. If they don't trust you fully they won't respond to your commands
                Hmm, I'll take out the battery and just connect it to the mains to see if the same thing happens. If it dies then we can rule out the battery but I don't think that is the case.
                The hinge magnet could be an issue but then again why would it suddenly switch back on when the case is closed and sitting on desk? I can understand it shutting down while playing due to movement though.

It all seems super odd. Maybe it just doesn't like Sega

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  Hmm, I'll take out the battery and just connect it to the mains to see if the same thing happens. If it dies then we can rule out the battery but I don't think that is the case.
                  The hinge magnet could be an issue but then again why would it suddenly switch back on when the case is closed and sitting on desk? I can understand it shutting down while playing due to movement though.

It all seems super odd. Maybe it just doesn't like Sega
                  Just out of interest have you tried contacting nintendo? while they no longer sell 3DS i'm sure they might still offer advice on your symptoms. Although they'd probably try and cop out and say send it in for repair so they can get your money off you.

Comment

Just out of interest have you tried contacting nintendo? while they no longer sell 3DS i'm sure they might still offer advice on your symptoms. Although they'd probably try and cop out and say send it in for repair so they can get your money off you.
                    Yeah, they said sod off in a polite way. They told me they no longer offer support for any DS line of consoles

Comment

Does Ren still have his 3DS? could you swap batteries to test and rule out that as a problem.

Comment

Does Ren still have his 3DS? could you swap batteries to test and rule out that as a problem.
                        I think he does somewhere. Oh wait, his is the normal 3DS. He sold his "new" 3DS.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          I think he does somewhere. Oh wait, his is the normal 3DS. He sold his "new" 3DS.
                          The battery should be the same inside i don't think they changed the type, worth a try.

Comment

The battery should be the same inside i don't think they changed the type, worth a try.
                            I'll give it a shot. It could well be the battery now that I think about it because the day I played it exclusively via the mains, there were no problems at all.
                            Kind of pissed if it is the battery though as it holds a charge for months. This new 3DS has hardly been used. Probably about 30 to 40 hours use in its life time.

Comment

Sometimes it's just plain bad luck, i have even heard reports of batteries in switches totally crapping out and swelling and damaging the machine as it breaks the back panel as it swells. My psp power supply did that it just died one day and it wasn't exactly old.

If it definitely is the battery then it shouldn't cost too much for a replacement seeing as you are in japan you'll have a lot more choice for them. Amazon J should have what you need they don't cost huge amounts thankfully.

Comment

Working...
                              X