Nvidia Shield + AVR issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia Shield + AVR issues

I fully appreciate might not be the best place for this, have posted in avforums too, so thought I'd ask at least for the audio and videophiles among us.

I have an LG CX 48, NVIDIA Shield TV (2019) and a (recently received) Denon 2700h receiver. I run at Atmos setup with 3 fronts, 2 height speakers and 2 rears.

I've had the Shield running perfectly well on my CX, able to process HDR10 and Dolby Vision. I need the Shield HDMI'ed into my Denon to make use of DTS and DTS:X sound tracks used my Plex files, since the CX cannot pass through or process DTS tracks or lossless TrueHD.

Oddly, however despite the Shield recognising Dolby Vision on the CX when directly plugged in, it refuses to recognise Dolby Vision through the Denon AVR (which supports Atmos and Dolby Vision). I've tried various cables and no dice. The fact the same cables work on the LG CX surely means it's the AVR? I can't enable any kind of Dolby Vision option on the Shield TV, as it simply doesn't display - unlike when connected to the OLED.

I've messed around with the 4K/8k Signal Format option on the 2700h and no matter whether it's set to 'standard' or 'enhanced' I get the same issue. I've tried umpteen configurations and settings changes and still experience the same issues. Once again, appreciate this may not be the forum to ask, but wondered if anyone has a similar setup and issues?

3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Sounds like one of those really thorny, annoying issues that do crop up with AV, where there's no clear solution or even reason why it's not working

I don't have direct experience of the Shield or the AVR or TV in question, but my immediate thought would be to wonder if it's possible to use an additional device to separate your video and audio out. One HDMI cable for each, basically, with one going into the TV and one into the AVR. I have done this with my disc spinner, because my amp doesn't support HDR10+ (for the very few discs like Parasite which use that as their sole dynamic metadata format). However that has two HDMI outputs onboard for that purpose so it's easier.

I did a quick bit of Googling and there is a conversation here on this topic:

One of the devices indicated in that thread is this one, which acts as a splitter. You plug your HDMI out from your Shield into it, and it gives you two HDMI outputs from it - one carrying audio, one video:

Hdfury AVR key Extract Full HDMI audio from any signal ! Plug any AVR in any HDMI setup and Play full HDMI audio sound ! Support all audio and video formats in existence. Simply connect and forget. Pass-thru for 4K UHD/HDR/DV/HLG video up to 18Gbps + 720p or 1080p Full HDMI Audio.

Not cheap but does promise compatibility with DV and 'every sound format up to Atmos'.

No personal experience of this product or other similar ones, but perhaps worth looking into as a solution?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      Sounds like one of those really thorny, annoying issues that do crop up with AV, where there's no clear solution or even reason why it's not working

I don't have direct experience of the Shield or the AVR or TV in question, but my immediate thought would be to wonder if it's possible to use an additional device to separate your video and audio out. One HDMI cable for each, basically, with one going into the TV and one into the AVR. I have done this with my disc spinner, because my amp doesn't support HDR10+ (for the very few discs like Parasite which use that as their sole dynamic metadata format). However that has two HDMI outputs onboard for that purpose so it's easier.

I did a quick bit of Googling and there is a conversation here on this topic:

One of the devices indicated in that thread is this one, which acts as a splitter. You plug your HDMI out from your Shield into it, and it gives you two HDMI outputs from it - one carrying audio, one video:

Hdfury AVR key Extract Full HDMI audio from any signal ! Plug any AVR in any HDMI setup and Play full HDMI audio sound ! Support all audio and video formats in existence. Simply connect and forget. Pass-thru for 4K UHD/HDR/DV/HLG video up to 18Gbps + 720p or 1080p Full HDMI Audio.

Not cheap but does promise compatibility with DV and 'every sound format up to Atmos'.

No personal experience of this product or other similar ones, but perhaps worth looking into as a solution?
      Thanks mate. Yeah I've heard of the Fury products before and might be worth me giving it a go. I've spoken to Peter Tyson and they are going to investigate further.

The strangest issue isn't even Shield related, moreso that when my Denon is connected using earc to my CX whenever I play an Atmos file in Netflix or Disney Plus and have direct mode set to 'auto' (which is correct), the amp switches to Dolby Digital and I have to cycle through and back to direct mode 'auto' in order for it to recognise the atmos tracks.

Comment

Good luck and let us know how you get on with getting it sorted.

Comment

Good luck and let us know how you get on with getting it sorted.
          Found the Fury for £25 on eBay. As much as I loathe eBay seemed like a bargain.

Comment

That is an incredible bargain and well worth a go at the price. Fingers crossed it fixes the problem...do update here.

Comment

That is an incredible bargain and well worth a go at the price. Fingers crossed it fixes the problem...do update here.
              Yeah, very odd mate - rather serendipitous! It's new and sealed too.

Comment

[MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] so...problem solved, without even needing the Fury! A chap on avforums told me the fix, really simple. I'd had VRR enabled on the receiver HDMI earc port. The bloody CX needs a firmware update as it can't handle Dolby Vision and VRR together through an external source...psh.

Comment

Nice!

That's good news.

Honestly, stuff is getting so complex now with the various HDR standards plus 120hz features. Good work on tracking down the solution.

This forum ranks really well on Google so hopefully anyone with the same or similar issues finds this thread.

Comment

Nice!

That's good news.

Honestly, stuff is getting so complex now with the various HDR standards plus 120hz features. Good work on tracking down the solution.

This forum ranks really well on Google so hopefully anyone with the same or similar issues finds this thread.
                    Indeed. I guess it's ultimately new tech and as such there are a lot more kinks to iron out.

Comment

Working...
                    X