Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fantasy XVI

Couldn't find a thread for this.

The latest news is that the main scenario is complete. The English translation is progressing well and it won't be shown at TGS but will have a trailer this year to 'make people want to buy it'

I think it'll probably have a trailer around November/December for a March2022 release.

I hoping it goes back to having a more fantasy setting, like FFIX with none human characters too. Perhaps a job system as well. The trailer we saw way back seems to hint at that. If it carries the same combat mechanics as FFVIIR too, maybe with tweaks all the better.

I for one am looking forward to it.

Just a quick update saying
    'FF14 and FF16 will both be completed with the utmost care, so we hope for your support from here on out'

Taking their time by the look of it.

Comment

Just to add some context for those who don't pay attention to FFXIV.

The latest expansion, Endwalker, is due to release before the year's out, and is meant to close out the current story arc of the game that's been running for the past 10 years. It's a pretty significant point in the game's life, and I can imagine from S-E's perspective, it is crucial for them to get it right.

On top of that, the game has absolutely SURGED in popularity recently. While I'm sure lots of folks staying home hasn't harmed this, a number of big name WoW streamers migrating has also had a pied piper effect, the end result being huge congestion on nearly every server in every region. Login queues have grown for existing players, and there have been periods where new players simply cannot sign up to play ANYWHERE. There had already been plans to add a whole new data centre in time for Endwalker, but this recent influx has made additional capacity even more pressing, and while they're trying to apply software fixes to help, between the semiconductor shortage impacting their ability to source new servers, and COVID-related travel restrictions slowing their ability to set up new regions, there is a very real "victim of our own success" issue currently ongoing. Here's a recent post about what's happening from the horse's mouth.

The dev team - Naoki Yoshida in particular - are hugely loved by the fan community, and are very open with them and generally present. This recent update feels very much like reassurance that Yoshi P taking on FFXVI hasn't distracted him from making Endwalker the best it can be, and that he isn't being complacent about the server issues. There's still not even a release window for XVI as far as I'm aware, so one would assume it's far more palatable to suggest he'll merely focus on that after.

On a personal note: I think the guy is doing incredible work, and I have every faith in him, but I do legitimately worry about how badly he and the team must be getting burnt out.

Comment

The game will have an expansive skill tree.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          On top of that, the game has absolutely SURGED in popularity recently. While I'm sure lots of folks staying home hasn't harmed this, a number of big name WoW streamers migrating has also had a pied piper effect,
          Honestly not surprised - I play Guild Wars 2 and that's been absolutely flooded with people leaving WoW.

Comment

Another update.

TLDR: Covid has had an effect. However, from what is said, the bones of the game are complete and its just at that polishing stage. They hope to have an update in spring to begin building anticipation for the release.

Comment

The game is finished and a trailer is ready.

Comment

Waiting to drop the trailer for when Sony aquire Square Enix huh?

Comment

New trailer dropped in the 02/06/22 State of Play, release for summer 2023.

I'm very much on the fence for this game, the RPG'nes of Final Fantasy is clearly gone, 15/FF7r moved the needle quite far and now in its place is pure action with numbers above the enemies head, lots of dainty spinning and flopping attacks with no weight, i do like the avatars/summons being given the Kaiju treatment and a human host, which has only been seen abit in previous FF games.

Graphics look about the same as the first reveal but more than that, the lack of colour and all the environments looking the same is a bad sign. Still over a year to go, hopefully they'll make something good.

Comment

I've enjoyed the shift away from old school turn based and it looks visually lovely but I hate, hate the medieval style setting. Massively off putting.

Comment

The trailer focused heavily on the Summons with not much indication of the setting or characters. From what we did see I'd agree it needs a hit of colour. Combat looks like it's riffing on ff7R which is no bad thing.
                      But Summer 2023?! The recent messages from Square made it sound like it was pretty much finished.

Comment

Interviews with Final Fantasy XVI producer Naoki Yoshida have gone live across several outlets worldwide, which include new information on the summer 2023-due numbered Final Fantasy game.

cliff notes:
                        Not open world
                        You play Clive as teen, in his 20's and then 30's
                        Will usually have 1 npc partner with him for banter and combat assistance
                        Clive takes the summons he beats power, which open a new ability tree for combat moves/buffs
                        Summon vs Summon are controllable fights with different gameplay themes (think of how Nier/automata change styles)
                        Story is complete start to finish, nothing held back (like 13,15 and remake 7)

Not idea what this 'independent area on a global scale' stuff means, maybe they do have more different looking areas than what has been shown so far.

Comment

Another trailer due next month.
                          Id like a release date and some gameplay really.

Comment

New trailer.
                            Sign me up

Comment

Yeah this looks pretty great - trailer's got a nice bit of world building, drama, and even some battle teases too.

Comment

Working...
                              X