No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 196: The Final Tour of Gamecube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive delay in replying. Eternal Darkness really good, enough for me to play through three times and get the secret extra ending. F-Zero GX, think my review here was the longest I'd ever written and I ploughed months into the title. I was even the world record holder on one course for a few days! Four Swords was really smart, and enjoyed that a lot too. Gotcha Force, excellent. Geist, flawed but decent. Mario DDR, my copy is still in the box never played sadly. Go Go Hypergrind, Atlus title like Cubivore, bonkers as expected.

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    WTAF. I just looked at prices for cubivore.
    For ****s and giggles, just went to have a look too. As you note, WTAF?! It was a $50 title when I was collecting Cube.
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Gotcha Force
      A blend of fighter and third person shooter, this is another Cube era Capcom game and this time focuses on capturing Gacha toys and battling them. The game didn't perform well but eventually built enough of a following that Capcom reprinted the game nine years after its initial release.

Kido Senshi Gundam: Senshi-tachi no Kiseki
      Fixed that for you.

Gotcha Force remains THE GameCube game for me, which is not bad for something I picked up on a whim from Play.com for 20 quid.
      I've since bought the other region versions of it and will happily get it out for a play now and again.
      Last edited by kryss; 29-07-2021, 20:07.

Comment

Monday and time for a new round of GC exclusives:

Lost Kingdoms / Lost Kingdoms II
        Also going by the name Rune in Japan, this was another pair of JRPGS the Gamecube could call its own using a real time based card battle system for its combat The game only received average reviews but performed well enough to score a sequel which scored similarly.

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
        There isn't much to tell on this one as the Mario Golf series has been generational since it emerged meaning that the lack of porting of this entry will be due to a lack of value in doing so due to additional entries coming out.

Mario Kart: Double Dash
        By the same token comes the third Mario Kart console title which added an extra character to karts in a move that made little difference to gameplay. Double Dash performed well but isn't one of the most well remembered entries in the series though it did form the foundation for the follow up which saw Nintendo somewhat phone it in to the receipts of record sales.

What were your thoughts on this trio of titles?

Comment

Ah mario kart DD, one of my best memories of it is blagging my way into the london ects show with a fake company registration so i could get a pass to get in as that was where it was been premiered for the first time. They had a massive 8 player lan game setup outside on a huge jumbotron screen the area was set up like a racetrack with 8 go karts on the starting grid that you could sit in and they each had a mini screen built in so you could play, they all had wavebirds in as well it was insane to play in that setup.

Then again that show was amazing i remember they had walking gba sp link cable hubs, they had women wearing a sort of huge belt that had multiple gba's attached so people could stand around her trying out link cable gaming i remember they had 4 swords adventure running.

Comment

I was so hyped for Double Dash. As someone with a greater love for MK64 than SMK (yeah, that's right!) getting the next entry was one of the biggest reasons to keep the Cube and I first played it a few days before release on a demo unit in Manchester's old big HMV gaming section.

That little first experience was enough to wind the hype out of me. Something immediately felt off.

To be fair, I still got the game and I enjoyed it. It's a solid if a little unremarkable entry into the series but even now there's something not quite right about it. Partly it's the visuals which are clearly built off the work Nintendo did for Sunshine which has always been one of the more fugly entries, DD was therefore never an amazing looker which is one of the many reasons MK Wii was all the more of a disappointment when it managed to look worse if anything. The games handling feels a tad skittish too and the tracks are just kind of okay. DD is fine but just kind of... there.

Comment

As someone with a greater love for MK64 than SMK (yeah, that's right!)
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 03-08-2021, 08:49.

Comment

Mario Kart 8 is the best one. Don't @ me.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Mario Kart Party is the best one. Don't @ me.
                  Corrected.

Comment

Next up:

Mario Party 4, Mario Party 5, Mario Party 6, Mario Party 7

You wait an entire generation for a new Mario platformer to come along and then four Mario Party's arrive almost at once. Other than an attempt to make use of a microphone peripheral in the latter two entries these continued to entertain and frustrate gamers in equal measure by being competent party titles whilst showing basic iterative sequels is perfectly fine to Nintendo when it suits them despite what they say. An endless conveyor belt of sequels has meant there has never been a reason for these to be released on later hardware.

Mario Superstar Baseball
                    An attempt to expand the range of Mario themed sports games, this baseball focused entry was well reviewed but always likely to struggle compared to other entries due to the more limited appeal the sport has internationally. None the less a sequel was later made leaving this one on the Cube.

Medabots Infinity
                    An RPG developed as part of the Medabots series, this Gamecube only title could unlock additional characters by connecting the GBA and saw players battling through stages battling robots.

Todays screenshots are brought to you by the colour pastel green, but did you enjoy any of these?

Comment

Monday madness with three more exclusives:

Megaman Network Transmission
                      Capcom are often the kings of bringing Megaman fans many new entries but not the ones they want and here we see another extension of a sub-brand with this spin-off of the GBA series that follows on shortly after the events of the spin-offs first entry. The intention of the game was to blend the RPG aspects of Battle Network with the action elements of the original and X series. Developed by Akira, the game met a mixed response where the concept wasn't the issue, more the execution due to inbalance in the gameplay.

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
                      Looking back it's still somewhat amazing that this even exists. Metal Gear wasn't traditionally a Nintendo related brand and none of the following entries reached their systems either so that this exists, was exclusive to the Gamecube and specifically worked on via Silicon Knights marks this out as a unique project. Remaking the first Solid entry and introducing mechanics from the second game, this title pleased gamers and riled some fans due to the changes. Presumably due to the agreements behind it, it has never been ported or rereleased.

Mutsu to Nohohon
                      Released only in Japan, this title spanned twelve levels of players selecting a robotic creature to play as and swimming around a Kingdom.

Any memories of these three GC exclusives?

Comment

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
                        Looking back it's still somewhat amazing that this even exists. Metal Gear wasn't traditionally a Nintendo related brand and none of the following entries reached their systems either so that this exists, was exclusive to the Gamecube and specifically worked on via Silicon Knights marks this out as a unique project. Remaking the first Solid entry and introducing mechanics from the second game, this title pleased gamers and riled some fans due to the changes. Presumably due to the agreements behind it, it has never been ported or rereleased.
                        Absolutely hate this game. It's one of my personal bugbears.

I forget all my reasons, but I remember they were numerous.

Those I do remember...

The new mechanics break the game. Being able to aim all weapons in first-person completely breaks the difficulty; once you have the silenced pistol the game becomes incredibly easy.

I thought it looked poor. It both lacks the original game's incredible art design (given the PS1's limitations), but it doesn't look as good as MGS2 (which it was clearly trying to imitate). It's like the Panzer Dragoon remake on Switch, functionally mostly fine but just uninspiring.

Also the cutscenes... I recall they added loads of stuff to the direction. Like I remember a bit where the ninja slices a bit of concrete out of the ceiling and then kicks it across the room? It just felt naff, like it was fanfiction.

Comment

Yeah I'd agree with pretty much all of that, although I do kind of enjoy Twin Snakes as an alternate version of MGS1. My love for the original game is so great that it's kind of nice having this weirdo Canadian arranged version available as well.

Originally posted by Asura
                          The new mechanics break the game. Being able to aim all weapons in first-person completely breaks the difficulty; once you have the silenced pistol the game becomes incredibly easy.

While this is absolutely true, it's also kind of true of MGS2. The silenced SOCOM is a total win button in that game as well.

Comment

Twin Snakes is nowhere near as bad as so many (especially on this forum) make it out to be.

It has aged better than the OG. Don't @ me.

Comment

Metal Gear Solid: With New Funky Mode

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                Metal Gear Solid: Even More Integral
                                Corrected!

Comment

Working...
                                X