Steam Deck: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    Just have both. An actual Switch for flawless/native OLED Switch games and a Steam Deck for everything else. I don’t understand why anyone would want a more expensive device to play the same games as a cheaper device, only with the performance compromised on a much less portable and inferior screen.

It’s easy enough to hack a Switch if you want to pirate games.
    I've already got a switch... I just want to see what the Steam Deck is capable of in terms of emulation and really Switch should be viable.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      Think I'd rather have N64 emu on Steam Deck than stump up for Switch Online Plus
      Same. But that's an extreme example where we know the Switch emu is terrible, while also coming in at a premium. Whereas RetroArch is the best, and is totally free.

Comment

The plus point is Deck will likely have no issues with Cemu so half the Switch library would run great via that
        Plus, for the mid-tier price point it's not much extra for what is likely a vastly superior handheld in most other regards.

Comment

Sounds like the old pc master race argument, "far superior" has always meant **** all in the grand scheme of things its why the Games gear and atari lynx lost out to a monochrome Gameboy and its why people are more than happy to play on an xbox one or ps4 and don't need the latest greatest pc setup.

Outside of an extremely small hobbyist sub set of gamers most people wont play switch stuff on this i doubt it will even eat much into the switches core audience either. for one its getting a very limited release and its looking likely to be late 2022 before most of the non preorder people will be able to get one. i mean come on how likely is this scenario

parent finds out child wants switch and pokemon, mario kart ect:

Option A buy switch and a couple of games for child.

Option B preorder steamdeack months ago learn about installing emulators visit countless dodgy sites to get access to switch game roms and software, set up steam deck for kid and teach them how to use emulators to get to Mario kart and Pokemon.

Comment

It definitely won't remotely dent the Switch's sales, it's more a case of interest in how much it negates the Switch being worth keeping hold of when its ability to play exclusives is all it will have left for those in a position to have both. For me I'm less worried about the Switch exclusives side of things, it's barely a point of reference given how few are released I'm interested in at this point. I'm massively intrigued by how likely it will be to already live in a world where I can feasibly play RDR2 on the go (even at 20-30fps)

Comment

Since the Switch is an actively sold system it's kinda taking the piss to pirate the games to be honest, so I'm not really on board with that personally.

More interested to see what this thing can do on its own terms as a handheld for stuff that doesn't already show up on Switch.

Comment

I should say, I'm not bothered about pirating the games.

In my case I own a Switch Lite and about 45+ digital games for it. That system cannot do TV out which is fine.

But if the Steam Deck can run Yuzu in any capacity then there's a possibility I can run my legitimately purchased switch games on a monitor via the Steam Deck. I realise a normal switch is the other viable option and I may yet get an OLED model in the new year but I'm just curious just to see how close the Deck can get.

Comment

Yep, it'd be a fascinating indicator of the handhelds capabilities given the usual limitations of handheld hardware via tech and cost. The fact that we're even able to to discuss the possibility of being able to emulate such a system or run high end demanding titles in any form is mindblowing

Comment

I've pre-ordered. Decided to go for the top-end model. Can't really afford it but I haven't treated myself for a long time.

I'm actually really excited; moreso than for recent console launches.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      Yep, it'd be a fascinating indicator of the handhelds capabilities given the usual limitations of handheld hardware via tech and cost. The fact that we're even able to to discuss the possibility of being able to emulate such a system or run high end demanding titles in any form is mindblowing
                      Is it that mind-blowing considering the switch was a retooled Nvidia Sheild Tablet that came out in 2017 and wasn't even that powerful by 2017 standards. The consensus on here after the WiiU was that Nintendo was finished and look where they are now. Nintendo has never been about releasing the most powerful system, its always been about software and where the switch seesm to have done what they failed to do in the past is have a good library of indie stuff as well as a really solid line up of first party stuff admitdely lots of that was pilfered form the wiiu but didn't find its audience till it was on the switch.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                          Is it that mind-blowing considering the switch was a retooled Nvidia Sheild Tablet that came out in 2017 and wasn't even that powerful by 2017 standards. The consensus on here after the WiiU was that Nintendo was finished and look where they are now. Nintendo has never been about releasing the most powerful system, its always been about software and where the switch seesm to have done what they failed to do in the past is have a good library of indie stuff as well as a really solid line up of first party stuff admitdely lots of that was pilfered form the wiiu but didn't find its audience till it was on the switch.
                          The interest lies solely with the Deck itself and how far it can be pushed. I doubt Switch 2 will even be that interesting at a tech level but with Deck we seem to be at least getting something Valve is trying to eek out what it can for its price point. With so little activity these days in the traditional handheld area of the market I'm curious as to how wide a spectrum the Deck can handle

Comment

Oh wow, on this note, Monster Hunter Rise just showed up on Steam.

I bet Capcom's banking on a bumper crop on SteamDeck. Performance issues actually put me off the demo on Switch.

Comment

Can you upgrade the 64GB version's storage further down the line? By today's standards it feels rather redundant-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                Since the Switch is an actively sold system it's kinda taking the piss to pirate the games to be honest, so I'm not really on board with that personally.

More interested to see what this thing can do on its own terms as a handheld for stuff that doesn't already show up on Switch.
                                With you on this. Apart from the digital games I bought on my switch but couldn’t sell with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X