No announcement yet.

Steam Deck: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must admit, this is a very attractive machine. I've always loved handheld gaming and the ability to jump to handheld is the main reason why the Switch is the only console I own this gen and my only thing with the Switch is that I'll often wish some of those games I have on Steam were available on it and now this is pretty much that.

Comment

I do like that thread and can see why you do it, now!

I bit like chopping a tree down with pencil sharpener blade though, eh?

Comment

I wonder how well Yuzu will run on it?

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          I wonder how well Yuzu will run on it?
          My first thought after wondering how it'll fare running Xbox cloud and store offerings.

You'd think it would handle it really well based on other similar machines like the ONEXPLAYER

Edit: only potential issue is I think Yuzu works better with Intel than AMD although as the Steam Deck is a standard setup they might target it specifically.
          Last edited by nonny; 16-07-2021, 09:14.

Comment

I've always liked the sound of Steam (and the pricing on games) but never had a PC to give it a go. I've registered last night in the hopes of maybe being able to get on the preorder. This is more appealing to me than buying an Xbox/PS5/Switch.

Comment

If it was all about the spec then Nintendo wouldn't of sold as many switches as they have already software is king. Yeah the more tech savy of us could get a switch emulator up and running on this and then trawl a few dodgy file hosts for some games but your average Joe wont, convenience helps a lot of these things, and Nintendo seem to do a good job of appealing to multiple markets. My Neibours kids both have switch lights with pokemon and minecraft but you also get older collectors that see Nintendo as an investment as first party and interesting titles tend to hold their value.

What worries me about this is Valve don't do the best job of supporting its tech, Its most recent foray the Valve Index is admittedly the best Vr headset you can buy but also the most expensive. Too support its launch they pushed half life Alyx with flagship hand tracking features and it feels like that's the only thing they will bring to the VR market with no plan to do anymore. Steam link, Steam machines, and the Steam controller all where dropped and discounted very quickly.

Will this do any better than the many similar machines that have come before it too Nvidia and others have tried a few times now with this type of sytem, off the batt it looks pretty cool but the battery life worries me, as when they say 2-8 hours, it makes me think that when its being pushed to its potential your gonna get two hours from it and if your playing non demanding indies or watching vids you gonna get 6-8 hours.
              Last edited by Lebowski; 16-07-2021, 10:28.

Comment

Is it just me, or does anyone else get Game Gear vibes from the design of this thing?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Is it just me, or does anyone else get Game Gear vibes from the design of this thing?

Comment

Yeah, very much like a Game Gear. Wonder how long it takes to chew through 8 AAs?

Position of D pad and buttons and - really - everything, looks off. Cluttered as heck in the top third. I wonder how comfortable it is to play, or how sensitive/effective those touchpads are.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                      I've always liked the sound of Steam (and the pricing on games) but never had a PC to give it a go. I've registered last night in the hopes of maybe being able to get on the preorder. This is more appealing to me than buying an Xbox/PS5/Switch.
                      If it's a new account, you'll not be able to make a pre-order until Sunday.

Comment

Aye, it said that when I signed up. I'm fine with that, I'm not desperate for one, just think it would be a good thing to have as I can use it at the shop as well on quiet days.

Comment

The folks over at notebook checker have been looking at the spec and its slightly under the power of a PS4 apparently (they should of partnered with sony this is like a new VIta) So not quite a Series S

Comment

This is undoubtedly going to end up like every other Steam device, it's not in any way a challenge to the Switch - but it's the closest Valve has come to putting out something at the right price and of some real tangible value. Not at launch as the last 12 months has been expensive enough but I could see me nabbing one down the line.

Comment

Sign me up, it looks at just the right price for 1000 's of games readily made. And will be a emulation beast.

Comment

Too many negatives to even remotely make this a purchase the battery life, the storage space is tiny and the weight it's nearly double the weight of a regular switch making it a uncomfortable prospect for prolonged play although with that battery life i don't think people will unless they are plugged in somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X