Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam Deck: Thread 01

Dock sold seperately

Last edited by Neon Ignition; 16-07-2021, 18:19.

Looks very cool.

Comment

So whats this the equivalent of then, what will it run?

Comment

It's a portable PC shaped as a handheld console, it'll run all of Steam games able to run on Linux.

Comment

It's apparently been confirmed Valve are keeping the platform open for you to install other OS's (storage permitting)

Comment

UK prices.
            64gb eMMC £349
            256gb NVMe SSD £459
            512 NVMe SSD £569

Can be reserved with £4 payment tomorrow.

Comment

With Linux that means little work needed to get Dolphin, Cemu and Retroarch working, so it'll have the switch game library

Comment

When someone mentioned this earlier I thought they were talking about the Elgato Streamdeck.

This looks interesting and cheaper than I expected to see it listed at, but the base model is just a touch limited with 64GB eMMC - minimum I think you really need to go for the 256GB NVMe.

I might reserve one, but I'm not sure I'd really get much use from it - one to keep an eye on though.

Edit: Okay, will defo try to reserve one (4C8T AMD APU with RDNA2 GFX cores - it's prolly similar to Xbox Series S specs perhaps a touch under, shame no wifi 6 support tho), but I suspect this will sell out fast and be scalped on eBay.

With all the Sony console ports going to PC - this is essentially a Sony Vita 2

Edit 2: Ooo, word is Valve are trying to curb the scalpers by making pre-orders available only on Steam accounts with purchases from pre-June 2021 - that should help stem the bots a little at least. So they open 6PM 16th July BST, those restrictions are for the first 48 hours, then the pre-orders open up to new accounts.

Sounds like Valve has got this pre-order thing worked out pretty well - I really don't understand why Sony and Microsoft didn't consider limiting their pre-orders for a short time to users who are Gold/PS+ and have spent on their accounts recently. That might have at least allowed a few people to get a console who wouldn't have put them straight on eBay.
                Last edited by MartyG; 15-07-2021, 19:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                  UK prices.
                  64gb eMMC £349
                  256gb NVMe SSD £459
                  512 NVMe SSD £569

Can be reserved with £4 payment tomorrow.
                  Where is the local reservation site?

I'm not completely sold on the layout but hands on previews sound solid. The fact you can install anything on it means effectively it's going to be able to run Steam and Xbox PC titles, plus Cloud. I'm sold just on that if true.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                    Where is the local reservation site?

I'm not completely sold on the layout but hands on previews sound solid. The fact you can install anything on it means effectively it's going to be able to run Steam and Xbox PC titles, plus Cloud. I'm sold just on that if true.
                    Goes live tomorrow but you can add it to your steam account wish list on this site.

Comment

Cheers. The 256 nvme SSD version of this is £100 more than a switch OLED. That is very tempting.

Comment

Comment

Rather excited by this. Not entirely sure how comfortable the control layout looks but tempted to pre-order
                          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Offer me an iPhone-sized Anbernic-like mobile Nvidia RTX pocket device with a 1080p OLED screen for a couple of grand and you have my attention.

I already have an RTX3080 which has spent the last several months mining Ethereum while I play retro stuff elsewhere instead. If I wanted to play any games from my library this is the furthest format imaginable to be doing so comfortably, without at least convenient detachable controllers. It's far, far too big.

Comment

I bet this is going to kill all of those insufferable Switch Pro rumours, at least.

Comment

Working...
                              X