Steam Deck: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
    Again putting words in others mouths did i say it ran stuff poorly, Ignore the fact its a handheld for a moment in spec terms if you where a pc gamer running at 30fps and 720p that would be considered low settings. Saying on one hand your offering pc gaming without compromise and that it runs stuff really well, then presenting a scenario where most triple a games run at what would be considered low settings kind of rubs me the wrong way.
    I don't think you can ignore the fact it's a handheld... I mean look at it.

It's running off a battery, with a 720p screen and uses an APU... It is and always should be considered a handheld. It just happens to be a PC based one you can dock and install other stuff to as well.

My home PC is a gigabyte NUC with integrated graphics and I don't expect that to run triple A games either ... It is what it is.

I think the "no compromise" piece is what's confusing. It doesn't mean it must play everything at max settings and frame rate... I just think where PC gaming is concerned it's built around that experience, with all inputs etc... So they haven't hobbled its ability to play anything outside of its actual capability based on spec.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
      I don't think you can ignore the fact it's a handheld... I mean look at it.

It's running off a battery, with a 720p screen and uses an APU... It is and always should be considered a handheld. It just happens to be a PC based one you can dock and install other stuff to as well.

My home PC is a gigabyte NUC with integrated graphics and I don't expect that to run triple A games either ... It is what it is.

I think the "no compromise" piece is what's confusing. It doesn't mean it must play everything at max settings and frame rate... I just think where PC gaming is concerned it's built around that experience, with all inputs etc... So they haven't hobbled its ability to play anything outside of its actual capability based on spec.
      Don't get me wrong its a fantastic piece of kit i just think reality is settling in with this device and its limitations, just like they do with every major piece of tech, When it was first shown their was a massive amount of misinformation on what it was capable of, and like Marty keeps saying Valve never promised it would do what the hype suggested, it's a device that can run most big budget stuff on low settings and that's a pretty good start for a handheld device.

Comment

I didn't see any real misinformation, maybe lack of information or say real world performance breakdown on a per title basis...

But I think misinformation is a key strong statement which doesn't hold up. I think the main problem is that PC gaming is pretty broad in terms of supported spec so saying it plays AAA games and plays them well is a statement you have to delve into with the spec sheet in hand.

That basically means Control will play at 720p30 on maybe med/low settings... I think if we had an actual rundown of some familiar titles and settings that would be something but then... That is lack of information.

Valve haven't really hidden anything, we just don't know everything. Plus of course every preorder is refundable here.

Again, this is why I am waiting but with a pre-order in hand. I'm looking at other efforts and how they've fared but none have hit the price point Valve have hit here. Equally valve could have gone further with the raw power but at what cost?

I think in terms of value for money they're in a great position.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
          I didn't see any real misinformation, maybe lack of information or say real world performance breakdown on a per title basis...

But I think misinformation is a key strong statement which doesn't hold up.
          Example of misinformation.

Valve: Steam Deck runs all Steam games at 60 FPS at ultra for 8 hours. *

End User with Steam Deck: This is only running Doom Eternal at 30 FPS on low quality and runs out of power after 2 hours.

Example of misexpectation.

Valve: Steam Deck runs all current Steam games at a minimum of 30 FPS with a battery life of 2-8 hours. **

End User with Steam Deck: This isn't running Doom Eternal at 60 FPS at ultra for 8 hours.

* Valve have not said this

** Valve have said this, 5 months in advance of you paying for one so that you can make an informed choice on a purchase
          Last edited by MartyG; 26-07-2021, 17:55.

Comment

As impressive as VSD is it's also a very painful eye opener to those who expected a high powered 4K Switch Pro to be announced as they can fully stuff that notion now, even for Switch 2.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
              Example of misinformation.

Valve: Steam Deck runs all Steam games at 60 FPS at ultra for 8 hours. *

End User with Steam Deck: This is only running Doom Eternal at 30 FPS on low quality and runs out of power after 2 hours.

Example of misexpectation.

Valve: Steam Deck runs all current Steam games at a minimum of 30 FPS with a battery life of 2-8 hours. **

End User with Steam Deck: This isn't running Doom Eternal at 60 FPS at ultra for 8 hours.

* Valve have not said this

** Valve have said this, 5 months in advance of you paying for one so that you can make an informed choice on a purchase
              You are a very boring i imaginge you like reading bus time tables for fun

All over the media their was speculation on what sort of performance we could expect from this Digital foundry where doing deep dives, reddit was full of memes about its power, some people where billing it like it was a portable series S. But silly me getting caught up in the hype and speculation before valve announced quite recently (four days ago infact) to expect it to run stuff at 30fps. Well after all preorders had sold out.

https://www.gamesradar.com/steam-dec...ve-resolution/)

Why did they announce this do you think was it because of maybe the hype behind what it could do was getting a bit out of hand and they needed to temper expectations Hmm you think. no your gonna repeat the following

Valve never said that it would do these things its people fault for getting caught up in the hype and its their fault when it comes and its not as amazing as they thought it was, they should of read the technical spec's here's a graph, blah blah blah.

Comment

Valve are not responsible for whatever you create in your imagination. It will be at least two more hardware iterations down the line before they can access and alter your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Valve are not responsible for whatever you create in your imagination. It will be at least two more hardware iterations down the line before they can access and alter your mind.

They are responsible for hype and managing expectations, which is why we got the "We are targeting 30fps" tweet the other day, it brought expectations back into reality, as it was getting a bit silly out their.

Comment

I know the past few pages of squabbling about the semantics of performance expectation have been a total laugh riot, but here's a story about some new (!) info about how they're implementing gyro controls, that we can stretch out and argue the toss over!

Comment

It's not even 15 axis - it's like Vavle have misinformed everyone with their compromises
                      Last edited by MartyG; 27-07-2021, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                        I know the past few pages of squabbling about the semantics of performance expectation have been a total laugh riot, but here's a story about some new (!) info about how they're implementing gyro controls, that we can stretch out and argue the toss over!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ste...-aiming-method
                        You made me read all that and the sum up is " it's very much an acquired taste" dose the steamdeck make gyro good? nope it makes it slightly less rubbish

Can we go back to arguing over expectations now

on second thoughts lets not
                        Last edited by Lebowski; 27-07-2021, 16:16.

Comment

Comment

That's hilariously large.

Comment

Yep. It's giant.

Comment

Better come with a brace to support your hands when playing as that's gonna hurt after an hour it's nearly double the weight of a switch and that starts to get a little uncomfortable after prolonged play in handheld mode.

Comment

Working...
                                X