Gaming Mandela Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming Mandela Effects

For those unaware, a "Mandela Effect" is to do with collective memory. Many people find, sometimes, when looking at things that were around when they were younger, that those things differ strongly from their memory.

The example usually cited is how the "Berenstein Bears", a popular kids' book series in America, is actually written "Berenstain Bears". The name itself comes from how, when Nelson Mandela died, a reasonable chunk of people in the US collectively realised they mistakenly believed he was already dead, believing him to have died in prison.

But does anyone else have any gaming Mandela Effects?

Reminded of this today because I have a very strong one. I strongly remember there being a game of Battleship for the PS1/Saturn, which was made by Hasbro alongside games of Risk and Monopoly.

I even remember how this game looked, having seen it in magazines and on a TV at Electronics Boutique. I recall it had an isometric wireframe map, with ship icons etc. that you moved around, and when you fired, behind the map (kinda watching through it) you'd see a CGI FMV of something happening, like a fighter plane dropping bombs on a ship.

The Risk game worked in a similar way, with FMV sequences playing out a bit like the battle insterstitials on Advance Wars.

But despite looking for it years later, as far as I can tell, this game does not exist, and it never did. Does anyone else remember it?

My one is that I could've sworn it was called Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition, rather than Champion Edition. I saw someone else having a meltdown over this a few years ago on social media, and found myself in the exact same position as them.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
      My one is that I could've sworn it was called Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition, rather than Champion Edition. I saw someone else having a meltdown over this a few years ago on social media, and found myself in the exact same position as them.
      Oh yeah, I had this too. I definitely called it "Championship Edition".

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Reminded of this today because I have a very strong one. I strongly remember there being a game of Battleship for the PS1/Saturn, which was made by Hasbro alongside games of Risk and Monopoly.
        I doubt he will remember, but my brother did a placement at Hasbro for six months testing videogames in the late 90s, and he has definitely mentioned one or two titles he looked at that never got released in the end. One was definitely a Frogger game. I want to say he mentioned testing Monopoly so it's possible, maybe, he could have looked at Battleship as well during his time.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          I still call it Championship Edition and had no idea this was wrong until 30 seconds ago.

I used to think Demon's's S'oul's' was called Demon's Souls

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            I still call it Championship Edition and had no idea this was wrong until 30 seconds ago.

I used to think Demon's's S'oul's' was called Demon's Souls
            It is called Demon's Souls... Isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              It is called Demon's Souls... Isn't it?
              Yes. I was attempting humour. And failing it seems

Comment

Yes. I was attempting humour. And failing it seems
                Oh, eh... Hahaha?

Having grown up playing Spectrum games, I've played a lot of stuff it appears no one knows, which has always led to believe it didn't exist. One such game is Soft and Cuddly. I thought it was some kind of fever dream, but its real.

So I guess it's not a Mandela Effect, except for me....for a while...

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                  Having grown up playing Spectrum games, I've played a lot of stuff it appears no one knows, which has always led to believe it didn't exist. One such game is Soft and Cuddly. I thought it was some kind of fever dream, but its real.
                  There's a good book about this on the Boss Fight Books line, one of the ones I actually got around to reading. Link here.

Comment

Vic-20 game by Thorn EMI. Egyptian themed. Doesn’t exist apparently. It’s not pharaoh curse or tomb and it is by thorn emi but internet says no

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                      I doubt he will remember, but my brother did a placement at Hasbro for six months testing videogames in the late 90s, and he has definitely mentioned one or two titles he looked at that never got released in the end. One was definitely a Frogger game. I want to say he mentioned testing Monopoly so it's possible, maybe, he could have looked at Battleship as well during his time.
                      I would love to know about this. It could've been a cancelled game

EDIT: Found it!

Turns out it was a PC game; I was expecting a Saturn game. Maybe it was going to be on Saturn, but cancelled?
                      Last edited by Asura; 17-07-2021, 15:48.

Comment

For absolutely years I'm convinced that Namcoland had a version of the racing game Battle Gear (or possibly the earlier series Side By Side) that was called Top Gear 20XX but I can't find any info on it whatsoever except from one mate who said the same. My only thought is that it was some kind of test market thing.

Comment

I knew we already had one of these - Gaming Mandela Effects? (bordersdown.net)

Comment

Is this the ultimate Mandela effect? A Mandela effect inside a Mandela effect?!

Comment

Hah! And by me, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X