Sumo Digital: Brought to you by Tencent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sumo Digital: Brought to you by Tencent

Tencent have bought Sumo Digital for £919m.
    I know Tencent have made a lot of gaming arena moves but this feels like a slightly weird choice.

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...developer-sumo
    I know Tencent have made a lot of gaming arena moves but this feels like a slightly weird choice.
    Sumo have their fingers in tons of pies. They do back-end work on many games, even some for which they're not normally credited, and have standing relationships with many developers. They're a huge operation.

It's a good purchase in many respects, like Sumo have a lot inherent value - but I'm not so sure in terms of corporate strategy what Tencent will do with the assets.

Comment

That's why I'm a little curious about it. Sumo has a great reputation and relationship with other companies but doesn't come armed with valuable IP etc so is somewhat dependent on the grace of others. Possible that continues but I'm curious as to what the angle is that they put them within touching distance of what studios like Codies went for.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        https://www.theguardian.com/business...developer-sumo
        Sad news. Will not be buying any more of their games then. Tencent is another one of these Chinese commie loving companies. They'll have you logging in to their games from now on with your data going to the Chinese communist party.

Comment

Is there any chance this will get Outrun 2 on current gen?

Comment

I doubt it. Sega's property innit? Not to mention the Ferrari licence expired ages ago.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
              I doubt it. Sega's property innit?
              Just wanted to quote this. No particular reason.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                Is there any chance this will get Outrun 2 on current gen?
                No money in doing that, so I'd say no.

Comment

It's such a shame. I have it on an old PS3 but it would be nice for a port, without the Ferrari badges if needed.

Comment

Christ thats serious dough and never would of valued them at that, can’t blame the owners for selling.

Was really hoping Sony would snap them up but they never would of purchased at that, shame as Sumo do great work and have already done great work for Sony so would of been a great fit.

Comment

Industry veteran Ian Richardson, co-founder and director of Sumo Digital has sadly passed away at the age of 53.

Years of hard work and then the massive moment of seeing the company be sold for such a high figure and Ian Richardson, co-founder of Sumo Digital, has died aged 53

Comment

Aw man. I don't know him at all but this is sad.

Comment

**** that. Poor bloke.

Comment

Awful news at the best of times, but that's particularly cruel timing, and heartbreaking for his family.

Comment

Huge sympathy for his family and those who knew him.

And, also, a timely reminder (if one was needed) that "you can't take it with you".

Comment

Working...
                              X