The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles [NSW/PS4/PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles [NSW/PS4/PC]

We finally got not just the first, but both Great Ace Attorney games localised!

Generally speaking, it's going to be very hard to talk about these in detail without copious use of the spoiler tag, but here's some quick observations based on the first couple of cases.

Graphically I'm a big fan of how it looks. The jump to 3D rather than flat portraits might have been a few games ago, but I'm still used to playing all of these on a handheld, and I'm very pleased to find even on a big display they still look great. All of the characters are wonderfully presented, still have loads of charming little animations, and as there's even more times now where you see them moving around in 3D, I can safely say I think they look really slick. The cut scenes are nicely animated too, and backgrounds are full of inviting details.

I'm aware it has its detractors, but I never had any beef with the localisation of the original games (SEE WHAT I DID THERE). This has had to take a slightly more direct approach though, given there's a much more significant relationship between the story and the political landscape of the time period it's set in - Japan's relationship with Great Britain being of particular relevance - but that's not to say it's totally straight laced. There are plenty of the usual jokes and puns, and a few character names have already made me laugh out loud.

The Herlock Sholmes character won me over pretty fast; naturally he's a total eccentric, but rather than being a Cumberbatch-type super genius that knows everything, his deductions are more often wrong than not, and its only in conjunction with your observations do things start to make sense. These deduction scenes are very theatrical, with characters practically dancing around one another, and also bringing an element of courtroom mechanics (presenting evidence, observing details) into the investigation scenes, which is very enjoyable.

In short: I'm delighted to have new a new Ace Attorney game to play, and to top it off there's a second one waiting for me right after it.

I'm not very far into it but I'm also loving it. It looks absolutely gorgeous. When they moved to 3D with Dual Destinies (I think?), I was even impressed back then with how well they kept the spirit of the 2D look and the standard here is incredibly high. The characters look amazing. The first case had too much talking for me but it was only because it was so tutorialy and I've played six of these games before and didn't quite need the lengthy explanations it wanted to give me. But I'm already really enjoying it.

Comment

Excellent OP [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION].

I’ve not got around to ordering this yet but will now do so seeing as the Naruhodo Legends boxset is more readily available.

GAA Chronicles appears to have been generally well received, like pretty much all Ace Attorney games in the West have been. Hopefully this will spur Capcom on to give us compilations of the remaining games (ie. Ace Attorney/Gyakuten Saiban 4/5/6 Collection - Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies & Spirit of Justice - and maybe a Ace Attorney Investigations/Gyakuten Kenji Chronicles that finally gives the West a localised version of Ace Attorney Investigations 2) as well as an Ace Attorney/Gyakuten Saiban 7.
      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 02-08-2021, 12:54.

Comment

It's been a very long time since i played any of these games, really looking forward to these 2 as i have never played their previous releases so these will be totally new to me. I'm curious about the triple pack of the first 3 games too as i wonder how they deal with the DS additions in the first game as at some points you had to blow the powder off the fingerprints during an investigation scene as they added lots of features to take advantage of the ds's gadgets.

Comment

Did this get a physical release in the US? I know it's digital-only here in the UK, but these games have zero replay value so I'd prefer to get the physical version.

Comment

Yep. I got the physical version from the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              Did this get a physical release in the US? I know it's digital-only here in the UK, but these games have zero replay value so I'd prefer to get the physical version.
              365 Games have physical US versions available in the UK.

Comment

Just finished the first game. Good stuff, but it's done something I wasn't expecting!

It has sown the seeds for its sequel far more than I can remember any other game in the series doing! So many loose ends!

Comment

Finished both. Loved them both. Superb.

Comment

I finished the first game today and, overall, I totally loved it. There characters were superb, the feel and music lovely and the cases generally fantastic. Although it had no problem leaving a few things hanging. I wonder if they pick up some of those threads in the sequel?

Also, I got the US physical version and it came with a code for an early purchase bonus. Doesn’t seem to work - is it because codes are region locked? If so, any way to get it to work?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      Also, I got the US physical version and it came with a code for an early purchase bonus. Doesn’t seem to work - is it because codes are region locked? If so, any way to get it to work?
                      You need to redeem it with an US account.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                        You need to redeem it with an US account.
                        Thanks. Figured that would probably be it but not really worth setting up a separate account just for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          Although it had no problem leaving a few things hanging. I wonder if they pick up some of those threads in the sequel?
                          I stuck my thoughts on this in a spoiler tag earlier in the thread but I think I might have been slightly over-cautious around this. But yes, this was a big deal to me too, I can't think of any other games in the series where they've left so many big mysteries unanswered!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                            I stuck my thoughts on this in a spoiler tag earlier in the thread but I think I might have been slightly over-cautious around this. But yes, this was a big deal to me too, I can't think of any other games in the series where they've left so many big mysteries unanswered!
                            Yeah, it felt quite unusual. It did wrap some stuff up last minute but I was left with big questions. Starting the sequel now!

Comment

Working...
                            X