No announcement yet.

Xenosaga - Official Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did like the cutscene with the gnosis attack, yeah that was pretty cool. Much of the other scenes though was just yaddering on about previous happenings.

Even avoiding the gnosis on the ship doesn't seem to get me anywhere as I can't seem to find the door/ object I'm looking for. I've honestly spent about an hour now treading the same ground and, when necessary, fighting the same foes.

I also find the central character to be annoying as hell. The Japanese do make the coolest characters, but when they want to make them nice they coat them with so much syrup they may as well be pancakes.

Comment

Not knowing exactly where you are, you need to avoid the Gnosis and get past the bit where you blast a Gnosis out of the airlock into space. Beyond there you should find a guy who you speak to something about blowing up a car, which is right behind him. Tool yourself up and follow the route round and you should come across 2-3 small Gnosis crowded around a dead mech/soldier, carry on down past them and eventually you should come across a boss.

Comment

IM around 12 hours in now and still enjoying the game, but the cut scenes are beginning to wear me down now. Whilst many are extremely good, there are simply too many of them and some are needlessly long. 25 minutes on one cut scene is excessive if you ask me.

Some things I never bother to use or look at , the boost being one, and also the event slot. The fighting is so similar to Final Fantasy to the point of being almost undistinguishable, they even have the same methods of aquiring new skills as they did in FF9, its by no means an original game whatsoever. Some of the battles against the bosses have been quite good and challenging, whilst I tend to walk over all of the smaller, less imposing enemies with ease.

Comment

it is similar to final fantasy, but it isnt a carbon copy.

Im enjoying it more now, and have been playing it for a few hours again today. the cutscenes are good, and i am enjoying them also.

Comment

i got bored watchin the intro cos i cant concentrate for too long thx to gaming all these years so its a bugger when they make games like these cos people who are the same as me wont be able to play these games due to games destroying our concentration and imaginations etc lol

Comment

One thing that Xenosaga seems to throw at you a lot is rock hard bosses. Im yet to really struggle against normal enemies at all in the game, Im around 20 hours in now, but the bosses are a real step up in difficulty, particularly the ones that are able to heal/regenerate themselves.

The real strength in Xenosage for me is in the characterization. As I mentioned earlier, Kos Mos is a great one in particular, as is the cyborg Chaos whilst the games main nemesis has a menacing aura Ive not come across since Sephiroph in FF7. Its a shame the game so much wants to be a movie at times, I really do think that sitting through a 25 minute cutscene is far too long. The beauty of games like the FF series is that the CG is of the highest quality, but its not overused and is only used when neccessary, which I feel is Xenosagas main crime.

Comment

Im still really enjoying the game, and I dont honestly have a problem with the cutscenes as t hey are extremely well done. Im not as far on as Marcus in the game, but I have to agree with some of the boss battles. During one I was beginning to wonder if I was actually supposed to win it, but in the end I succeeded.

I agree about Kos-Mos, but I prefer Ziggy to Chaos.

Comment

The bosses Ive faced so far can generally be beaten just by good old fasioned levelling up, I spent the best part of two evenings raising my characters and the battles are far simpler as well. Make sure Shion learns Medica All, as that will help you a lot in the boss battles. Ive got most of the tech attacks now, and have extracted all available skills, I just need to work more on improving the strength of these. No spoilers but there was yet another awesome sequence with Kos Mos after the first real hard boss battle. The gameplay is basically Final Fantasy, yet it doesnt feel as deep as most of the FF games Ive played, I dont know if you agree with me on that one or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Friction
                    Whilst nobody will argue Xenosaga is a bit of a beast when it comes to cinematics and cut scenes, it has to be said that the game does succeed in being a very polished, atmospheric, engrossing game, one with a very engaging story line that is certainly going to get better as the game progresses.

Everything about the game I'm a fan of, the story so far has been excellent (about 5 or so hours in), the music is amazing (I know own the soundtrack for a very good price!) and the overall visual polish rounds the title of nicely.

Granted much of the game so far involves paying attention but that's what I enjoy. I'd rather a detailed story that is involving than one that's got more holes than Swiss cheese!

Bottom line, I like this game, if you like a good RPG, then you should too
                    I couldn't put it better myself.

Don't go into this game thinking about cutscenes. For the love of God, it's a Role-Playing Game. It exists solely to tell a story, and it tells an extremely good one in a fantastic way. The cutscenes are of very high quality, the voice acting is generally very good and the dialogue isn't forced at all and very natural. The soundtrack is phenominal (I have it autographed by Yasunori Mitsuda (composer) and Tetsuya Takahashi (game director)) and the gameplay is good - no random battles and a battle system that is different and interesting. The characters are also phenominally customizable, I'd argue that they are the most customizable of any game that exists.

I'm about 30 hours in and I just can't understand why people think the cutscenes are such a problem. If anything, they are a reward. Oh, and don't forget that they have some of the least stereotypical RPG characters to date - they are genuinely interesting. And the database is phenominally comprehensive and interesting for a read alone.

The only thing I may have a problem with is leaving too many things unresolved, but I haven't reached the end (just before final dungeon) so I won't be able to comment on that.

--Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
                      I also find the central character to be annoying as hell. The Japanese do make the coolest characters, but when they want to make them nice they coat them with so much syrup they may as well be pancakes.
                      Never judge Xenosaga's characters on face value.

Oh, and marcus : how on Earth can you say that Xenosaga's fighting is a carbon copy of Final Fantasy? I could list about 10 differences, each one IMPROVING on FF's tired, boring old battle system.

--Ed

Comment

Im yet to see anything much in the battles that I havent seen elsewhere, aside from perhaps a boost system which Im still yet to use to any real advantage as yet, and the event slot which does help to add a little variation into the proceedings.

The cut scenes are generally very good, yet I do feel that 25 minute long uninterrupted sequences are pushing boundaries of acceptability just a little too far, that said they do tend to come at the end of a particular section and so can be viewed as "reward" as you say, and do successfully move the storyline along.

Comment

I finished the game last night I must say I enjoyed the majority of the game but they better get the sequel out soon as the ending leaves you with a lot of unanswered questions. I enjoyed the battle system in the game as you had to figure out the enemies weakness and use the different types of attacks i.e slash attacks, beam attacks etc and you have set up your party to show this. The custscenes never bothered me to much accept near the start of the game.

Comment

How long did you put into the game roughly before it was completed?

Also, did you use the AGWS much? I tend to just stick to my main characters at the moment I must admit.

Comment

I really never wanted this game to be made.

You can't sequel Xenogears, it's wrong. It's like sequelling Taxi Driver, or something.

With gritted teeth I will seek this one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady
                                I really never wanted this game to be made.

You can't sequel Xenogears, it's wrong. It's like sequelling Taxi Driver, or something.

With gritted teeth I will seek this one out.
                                Well, considering that it was always planned to make a series of Xenosaga-s, even before the specifics of Xenogears were worked out, that argument doesn't really stand.

--Ed

Comment

Working...
                                X