Project Gotham Racing 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench
    Yeah, but the thing is it not as responsive due to it running at 30hz. There's little point sampling the controls at 60hz (as with PGR) when half is going to be discarded. This is probably the reason why it is easier to lose control at high speeds.
    I dislike this arguement, I've had it before during a PAL debate. I challenge anyone here to input a command 60 times a second. I doubt most people have the reflexes to pull off a series of 1/10th of a second moves, let alone 1/60th.

I'd suggest the arse end is more happy because the handling has been changed (more realistic?), especially if it's under breaking.

Comment

Sorry to dampen a party, but i really am not all that keen on it.

The graphics, particularly the replays are admittedly gorgeous, and the handling is okay, but i don't feel that it's as sharp as the first version.

I do feel as if there is something missing, but i ... can't .... quite .... put .....my .... finger on it.

One i probably would have bought if i hadn't played the demo. i think i'll pass now.

On a similar note, same with SSX 3. I loved the two previous versions, but this feels a bit aimless, and certainly less fun. I thought the voice overs in tricky were great. It feels a bit like "Amped Lite" to me, which leaves me with very little to look forward to the christmas as far as i can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Burai
        Hopefully this won't be like the eagerly awaited MSR demo which turned out to be more fun than the entire finished game.

Also: Does anyone know where one might be able to download the MSR soundtrack?
        I have some of it, mainly the dance tunes. Still waiting for the guy to send me the rest of the soundtrack. He downloaded it from Game Audio Galaxy before they closed down.

Shame PGR2 has more ****ty rap music and US metal. ft: Maybe Sega's lack of money (To buy up tons of licensed tunes) was actually a blessing for once. Driving through the parks in London to Richard Jacques's jazz music was lovely.

Comment

Aye, but you can drop Sega's pap and fire up the Initial D soundtrack instead

Comment

I do feel as if there is something missing, but i ... can't .... quite .... put .....my .... finger on it.
            More tracks, cars and xbox live? You know it`s only a demo right

Also another note on car handling is that there is a far better sensation of weight with the cars now which pgr didn`t potray to well. Try the pontiac trans am on the cone challenge to see what i mean. I really can`t see what people are moaning at with the handling to be honest as theres a better variety in car handling now instead of them all handling very similar which was a fault in pgr. Wait till you get the enzo ferrari i bet that sticks to the ground like glue. Also for folks with widescreen tv`s it has 16.9 support as well which makes it look even better.

Comment

PGR2 is actually the single game that's making me tempted to get that Music transfer software. I have very few music CDs, and don't want to get my XBox chipped (I just know I'd forget to disable the chip and thus prevent me from using the Live subscription that'll be so important in the next few months), and I'm very tired of the style of the PGR music (my only alternative that isn't classical is an Air Guitar album).

Comment

I dislike this arguement, I've had it before during a PAL debate. I challenge anyone here to input a command 60 times a second. I doubt most people have the reflexes to pull off a series of 1/10th of a second moves, let alone 1/60th.

I'd suggest the arse end is more happy because the handling has been changed (more realistic?), especially if it's under breaking.
                I accept your challenge!

*MonkeyWrench holds a button down for 1 second*

Yay! I win.

Whenever you press a button, or use an analog controller it sends a signal to the console for every tick of the clock rate, and if that's 60hz, then it'll be 60 commands.

Comment

I thought the game engine was running at 60hz, but the graphics engine was running at 30fps?

I'm ready to be corrected on this, but if the above is true then you'd still have the same level of control as before, it's just that you'd only see the results of every second movement that's made. If that makes sense.

Comment

It says something about the game, when all people can use to criticise the title is an arguament about 30 fps as opposed to 60 fps
                    Well done Bizarre Creations

Comment

For some reason I have an image in my head of the physics racing ahead of the graphics.

Stop with the FPS talk, it confuses me

Comment

OK, just to make it clear for everyone, what is happening is basically the same as what happens with every PC game. The physics engine runs at a nice steady 60Hz internally. Externally, the image of the current view is rendered at only 30fps as that is all that it can do.

Similiarly, you'll notice if you look at the code that Quake (for instance) renders all its physics at 20Hz internally, and the renderer draws the scene as fast as it can - its why the animation on the characters can seem more jerky than your looking around the screen in that game.

By the way, anyone out there playing PC games on a PS/2 mouse and keyboard without any fancy driver software is only having their input measured at 20Hz too, so can stop whingeing about 30Hz right away.

Comment

I wasn't whining about fps, just trying to clarify things for myself. Personally I'm very pleased they've gone this way because I'd rather have a rock solid frame rate. It puts me in mind of Sega Rally 2 which you could lock to 30fps with the button pressing on the welcome screen - far better than the yo-yoing of the fps in the standard game.

Comment

a little off topic, (in fact a lot offtopic) but I was wondering if PGR1 had a decent PAL release...

Comment

Pal release of pgr was fine. Has a 60hz mode which is all you need to know

Comment

Originally posted by Hodge
                                Pal release of pgr was fine. Has a 60hz mode which is all you need to know
                                EXCELLENT!
                                Thanks
                                I'd put off buying it for sooooo long, cause I kept forgetting to find out.
                                Whee!! NEW GAME FOR JODI!

Comment

Working...
                                X